Lighting the dance floor

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited June 21, 2008 in People
so, this wedding reception went pretty long. Dawson and i were getting a little bored. We hopped up every so many minutes to get a few more dancing shots. I stumbled onto an idea. took a 4 foot reflector that I had with me and hand held it along with two 430exs. Dawson had the 580 on his 40D being the master to my two slaves, which were pressed against the reflector. Here is the result. Lots of light. not a lot of shadows. Could have sped up the shutter, but it does creat a sense of motion.

316177392_wZquR-L.jpg

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    so, this wedding reception went pretty long. Dawson and i were getting a little bored. We hopped up every so many minutes to get a few more dancing shots. I stumbled onto an idea. took a 4 foot reflector that I had with me and hand held it along with two 430exs. Dawson had the 580 on his 40D being the master to my two slaves, which were pressed against the reflector. Here is the result. Lots of light. not a lot of shadows. Could have sped up the shutter, but it does creat a sense of motion.

316177392_wZquR-L.jpg
    Lot's of light - but you didn't completely loose the ambiance that the guests will remember. That much have been a tough gig - three difference colors light.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    This room looks like a challenge.....especially trying to capture just 1 or 2 individuals as it looks packed. The lighting would be...difficult. Personally, I'd go the other way with lighting on this....much more selective...still retaining the ambient but not making the shot look like you were shooting in a cave. The ceiling is low and white...lots of bounce opportunities there. Flash on board with bounce card could create some interesting effects. Something else to try would be that mirror on the other wall....talk about a reflector :)
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552