Moving up to a DSLR, appreciate advise...

MaddBritMaddBrit Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited July 6, 2008 in Cameras
Hi guys,

A complete n00bie here and general camera novice, so please bear with me! :D

I come to this site via Advrider and my motorcycle hobbie, and have enjoyed taking many pictures of my rides and the wonderful US scenery for a few years now. A couple of years ago I moved up from an old 2mb Sony point and shoot, to a Canon SD600 point and shoot, which made a humungous improvement, a real step change in the quality of my pics. That said I have now found myself wanting when taking pics in low light conditions, and or at night.

After seeing some of the shots from fellow travellers using their DSLR's, I think the time has come for me to change up. I used to own a Pentax ME Super back in the early 80's (loved that camera), so am used to owning an albeit old generation SLR.

In terms of my requiremements, I need the camera to cover the following:

1) Be simply and intuitive to use (numero uno requirement).
2) Be able to work on auto, as well as manual.
3) Hopefully, be under $600 (including first lense).

I have been told the Canon EOS is a good camera, but not sure if thats the right thing for me, so any suggestions would be very much appreciated! If my wants are unrealistic for the price I want to pay, then other suggestions that arent necessarily DSLR's would be good also.

A link to my Smugmug site below, so that you can see what the sorts of pics I take.
http://www.maddbrit.smugmug.com

Thanks in advance for your help.

:thumb

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    THE best entry level DSLR is the new Canon EOS XSi, but it will cost you $899 with the kit lens. You will love it.wings.gif
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    THE best entry level DSLR is the new Canon EOS XSi, but it will cost you $899 with the kit lens. You will love it.wings.gif

But you can find Canon used XT's and XTi's in that price range with a kit lens.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    You will also find the Nikon D40, Olympus E-420, Olympus E-510, or the Pentax k200d.
    They are all great cameras. I would recommend going to a nice camera store and try them in your hand and see what feels best.
    I am biased like everyone else to what I chose. I use the Olympus E-510. WONDERFUL camera. More features and capabilities than anything in its price range. I know Canon's are great, but you do pay a premium for the name in my opinion (though I may be flogged by my fellow dgrinners for saying so)
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 20, 2008
    Bob. What are you doing Saturday? Give us a bell. MK?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Wingin'ItWingin'It Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Seeing that you travel a lot by motorcycle, the size of the camera would be an important consideration. The Olympus E-420 is one of the most compact DSLR cameras available, and within your price point. The olympus cameras I have used have been very nice, and I would expect the same with this one.
    Check here
    to see the camera with the 14-42mm lens. There is also a super-compact 25mm "pancake" lens available (equivelent to a standard 50mm lens.)
    I was perfectly fine with my camera until I found this place. :evil :dunno
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    If you are set on the $600 and if low light shooting is a consideration, then I'd recommend the Canon XT for under $400. It has the same image quality as Canon's 20/30D with better high ISO noise control than other comparable CCD sensor entry level dslr's.

If you pair the lens with the new Canon 18-55mm IS for about $170, that would make a small, responsive rig that would give you the best high ISO noise control and a versatile focal length range.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Wingin'It wrote:
    Seeing that you travel a lot by motorcycle, the size of the camera would be an important consideration. The Olympus E-420 is one of the most compact DSLR cameras available, and within your price point. The olympus cameras I have used have been very nice, and I would expect the same with this one.
    Check here
    to see the camera with the 14-42mm lens. There is also a super-compact 25mm "pancake" lens available (equivelent to a standard 50mm lens.)

This brings up a good point, what kind of bags do you have on the bike? is this for a tank bag?
    edited June 20, 2008
    This brings up a good point, what kind of bags do you have on the bike? is this for a tank bag?
    He has an GS Adventure with the stock Touratech bags.
  • MaddBritMaddBrit Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2008
    Thanks for the tips guys, very much apopreciated,

One reason for the $600 limit is the fact it will be on the bike (in the tank bag), so I have to accept it may get trashed. Losing that amount of money would cause a tear, but double that would cause a divorce! :D

My guess is the Canon XT may not be far off the performance of an EOS (that a novice would notice anyhowz), so that sounds good. The smaller Olympus E420 looks like it may fit also.

As someone said I need to 'feel and play' with them as well.

Ian - thanks and will give you a call thumb.gif

Again, I apprecaite all the input. Pretty cool site you have here.

thumb.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    The Canon XS (aka 1000D) is also right around the corner. Something else to look at though I haven't seen a final US price.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    MaddBrit wrote:

wave.gif

www.dpreview.com has reviews of every camera on the market, and has a comparison table that allows you to review specs and such. navigate to it using the menu bar on the left, under 'buying guide' - side by side.

I've been debating an SLR move but am waiting to see pricing of Olympus' upcoming 9-18mm wideangle lens. If I can get the E420, the pancake 25mm lens, and the 9-18, I think I'll be in motorcycle camera heaven. Gots to have those scenic vistas. deal.gif
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    He has an GS Adventure with the stock Touratech bags.

Then any of these cameras mentioned will work fine, just go to a store and see which one you think feels best in your hands, and try the layout for controlling the manual settings to see if you like it.

In all honesty any digital SLR you choose will have more than adequate image quality. Even the six megapixel D40 can have its images blown up to 16 x 20 or larger (I've done this with images from my D50, which is the same sensor)
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    The Canon XS (aka 1000D) is also right around the corner. Something else to look at though I haven't seen a final US price.

I was thinking something similar. Here is the EU price for the Rebel XS per dpreview.
    • Kit: €649 (with 18-55 mm IS lens)

So I suspect it may be $699 in the US. If you can swing the extra $100 or so, I'd definitely go for this over the XT with the same lens.

I've had the XT and it's a fine 8MP lens that will outshoot most shooters IMO and the new IS kit lens is very good. I had it and tested the lens and found it to be quite good.

The XS would offer more resolution and live view for what that's worth, a better viewfinder and AF to name a few improvements. If you shoot JPEG, it can shoot at 3 frames per second till I think for 2GB's.
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    You also may like the Nikon D40 that comes with two lenses to cover you from 18mm-200mm, and a bag for $10 more than that $600, to get you started, while the instant rebate of $100 is on.

Nikon D40 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm & 55-200 VR Lenses
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/532253-REG/Nikon__D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

You'd also like having the remote for $16.95:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/207373-USA/Nikon_4730_ML_L3_Remote_Control_Transmitter.html

I'd go to a real store and check them out, hold them, play with the menus if you can, see what feels nice in your hands.
    edited July 4, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

I decided to plump for the Nikon D40 with the single lense, and I have to say I am absolutely blown away by the ease of use, the light weight, and the great pictures it is taking. The best money I have spent in a long time for sure.

:D

I also bought the 4Gb memory card, a UV filter and an articulated tripod. I had some fun on the motorcycle over in the eastern Sierra's last week-end, and shot over 200 pics!

324857289_vyVPB-L.jpg

325052920_ArRwM-L.jpg

324857795_iV2q5-L.jpg

Yeah I know they aint anything special, but for this n00bie they are a great start. Now I just gotta get used to the camera and Picasa2, and I will be on my way.

Thanks again.

thumb.gif
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    MaddBrit wrote:
    Thanks for the tips guys, very much apopreciated,

One reason for the $600 limit is the fact it will be on the bike (in the tank bag), so I have to accept it may get trashed. Losing that amount of money would cause a tear, but double that would cause a divorce! :D

My guess is the Canon XT may not be far off the performance of an EOS (that a novice would notice anyhowz), so that sounds good. The smaller Olympus E420 looks like it may fit also.

Ian - thanks and will give you a call thumb.gif

Again, I apprecaite all the input. Pretty cool site you have here.

thumb.gif

Hi MadBritt!!! Good move... I am still with the 30D... you will love it!...

Come to Utah! You will love it even more... Spirit says HI!!!

Be well... Ara & Spirit
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
    edited July 6, 2008
    Yeah I saw some pix of you and that angry Scot :D

Bastards the both of you :D

Congrats on the purchase.
    edited July 6, 2008
    BeemerChef wrote:
    Hi MadBritt!!! Good move... I am still with the 30D... you will love it!...

Come to Utah! You will love it even more... Spirit says HI!!!

Be well... Ara & Spirit

Hi Ara wave.gif

Thanks for the great tips you sent in your PM.

thumb.gif
    ian408 wrote:
    Yeah I saw some pix of you and that angry Scot :D

Bastards the both of you :D

Congrats on the purchase.

lol3.gif

Thanks Ian.

You going to the MOA Rally?

ear.gif
    edited July 6, 2008
    MaddBrit wrote:

Thanks Ian.

You going to the MOA Rally?

ear.gif
    I'm out....
  • ban25ban25 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Congratulations, MaddBrit. I've also shot that camera in the Sierra's and have been very pleased with the results. Here's a panorama from Yosemite:

297156968_dw2oq-L.jpg

One recommendation I have if you are just starting out is that it tends to over-expose. I recommend setting it to P (Program) mode and -0.7 exposure compensation. Of course, it all depends on your preferences, but I find a really like the images I get at those settings.