Options

Discussion about slightly loosening viewing restrictions on thumbnails

1235»

Comments

• Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Just do it!
    Ugh. You should've just rolled it out silently. I bet nobody would've even noticed. How's that phrase go? "It's easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission."

Now you've got all the pros and paranoids riled up and it'll never happen and my 47 thumbs will still take forever to load. :-{

Dangit.
  • Options
    nairb774nairb774 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Nimai wrote:
    I've got a selfish reason why I'd like to see thumbs served fast and unprotected. I have a mini-slideshow that I liked to run for our school's website, but last year I was required to password protect my school photos - no more mini-slideshow. But with the thumb-size available, I could get the slideshow going again. I don't think that the password requirement, in my case, applies to images that small.

Create a second gallery and put the thumbnail sized pics in there. Extra work but it gets you a solution in the meantime.
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Ugh. You should've just rolled it out silently. I bet nobody would've even noticed. How's that phrase go? "It's easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission."

Now you've got all the pros and paranoids riled up and it'll never happen and my 47 thumbs will still take forever to load. :-{

Dangit.
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    Sounds really sensible to me:D

You've got my votethumb.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Please do this. I don't see all this security concern. Some people are overly paranoid.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Please do this. I don't see all this security concern. Some people are overly paranoid.

how much paranoia is not 'overly'? rolleyes1.gif
    *just kidding*
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Personally, I think this is a reasonable idea, and support it.

James
  • Options
    omonra21omonra21 Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    JohnBiggs wrote:

I second this motion. I am fully behind the initiative to speed up the loading of thumbs and am happy with the level of security this will provide.

Victor
  • Options
    TacoTaco Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Haigh wrote:
    Precisely my point. And it´s not only so to the eyes of the law, It´s to the eyes of the "perpetrator" too. When there was the blog post about Smugmugs security issues in the beginning of the year (the one that ended up in implementing keys on urls) I bet many of you (as I did) tried out different urls, just to se what came up (maybe those skinny dipping shots that were mentioned in the post). I didn´t feel I was doing anything wrong, after all if the photos were accessible via a link then they were public. But if the post said "I hacked into so and so´s account, here is the url and passoword" I bet many people would not click (I wouldn´t) because it just feels wrong.

This is just to illustrate the point that the semantic issue of public/private caused by the existance or not of a password (easy or not) is extremely relevant to the point. I will only consider my photos private if they have a password. I bet most of society feels that way too. And I´m glad for the hard to guess urls because they increase security, but it´s the easy to guess password that makes things private.

It´s like with the cops. They need a warrant to look inside my house but they can look freely into my open garage or in my trash. After all it´s in "plain sight". Unpassworded galleries (even though hard to find) are technically in plain sight.

Robert

As I see it... All tiny/thumbs/photos are public. Some are protected by "password". Some are protected by "hard to find URLS". What is the difference? We know the password or create it. The only thing we need to do to make a "hard to find URL" into a password is... make it known to us. Then it becomes a password... and a very good password.

Then all legal matters become moot... because we now have Super-Passwords. :)

btw... I'm in favor of the change.

Ron
    Ron
    rholliday.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Taco wrote:
    As I see it... All tiny/thumbs/photos are public. Some are protected by "password". Some are protected by "hard to find URLS". What is the difference? We know the password or create it. The only thing we need to do to make a "hard to find URL" into a password is... make it known to us. Then it becomes a password... and a very good password.

Then all legal matters become moot... because we now have Super-Passwords. :)

btw... I'm in favor of the change.

Ron

This whole argument is not just about the ability to guess a password vs. an URL. When thumbnails are allowed to be cached around the internet, that means they sit on hard drives where people in the companies who run those caches could go look at them. Further, those caches may have logging that records URLs so these unique, hard to guess URLs might be sitting in a bunch of logfiles somewhere.

In addition, we know that ISPs all over the world are talking about selling your browsing habits to advertisers so they can serve more targetted ads. The only way they can do that is by collecting where you go on the internet and storing it somewhere, yet another place where these "hard to guess" URLs are stored.

Passwords, on the other hand, are only transmitted via SSL and thus cannot be cached or logged by any infrastructure party or ISP on the internet other than Smugmug.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    This whole argument is not just about the ability to guess a password vs. an URL. When thumbnails are allowed to be cached around the internet, that means they sit on hard drives where people in the companies who run those caches could go look at them...

I don't really understand the concern. When you talk about thumbnails being cached, are you talking about at ISPs or by search engines? The gallery with non-password-protected thumbnails will still be password protected. Search engines won't be able to get in to see the URLs to the thumbnails, so they remain protected.

If you're talking about caching at an ISP, that can happen right now, can't it? Once you enter your password, your ISP is serving those thumbnails to you. If they want to see em, they can. If they want to cache them, what stops them now?

I can barely find my public, keyworded, captioned pictures on search engines when I specifically try. I'm not too worried about thumbnails from password protected galleries "getting out."

Dave
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2008
    pilotdave wrote:
    I don't really understand the concern. When you talk about thumbnails being cached, are you talking about at ISPs or by search engines? The gallery with non-password-protected thumbnails will still be password protected. Search engines won't be able to get in to see the URLs to the thumbnails, so they remain protected.

If you're talking about caching at an ISP, that can happen right now, can't it? Once you enter your password, your ISP is serving those thumbnails to you. If they want to see em, they can. If they want to cache them, what stops them now?

I can barely find my public, keyworded, captioned pictures on search engines when I specifically try. I'm not too worried about thumbnails from password protected galleries "getting out."

Dave

Some good points that I hadn't thought of. I'll give you most of them.

The difference is that once someone knows the secret URL of the thumb, they can get to all the image sizes you have available for that image. You just change the suffix on the URL to get to any size.

For a password protected gallery, they still need the password (which they don't have) to get to anything other than the thumbs. The password system does provide more security than just the URLs because the password is required to access larger sizes, yet it is not disclosed in the clear to infrastructure providers during browsing. Of course, there are cookies going in the clear which grant access to galleries and I have no idea how secure they are or aren't from man in the middle interception. Cookies, though are usually not cached or logged like URLs often are.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    The difference is that once someone knows the secret URL of the thumb, they can get to all the image sizes you have available for that image. You just change the suffix on the URL to get to any size.

No No No No Nooooooo!

The way the system works right now is that if you try to load an image (blahblahblah-Ti.jpg for example), smugmug checks to see if that image is in a password protected gallery before serving it out to you. That applies to ALL image sizes.

The only change they want to make is to stop checking whether or not thumbnails are password protected. They will still check for the larger sizes. Each time they do that check, it takes a little longer for the image to load.

This is important because we rarely load pages with lots of big images. We load pages with lots of thumbnails all the time though. If you could skip that one security check, each thumbnail would load faster. The cumulative effect would be that the page loads faster.

If you got the URL to a thumbnail somehow... not an easy task since that URL is only referenced in a password protected gallery... you could see THAT thumbnail and nothing else.

Keep in mind... for "unlisted" galleries with no password protection, this change has no effect.

Dave
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 5, 2008
    pilotdave wrote:
    The way the system works right now is that if you try to load an image (blahblahblah-Ti.jpg for example), smugmug checks to see if that image is in a password protected gallery before serving it out to you. That applies to ALL image sizes.
    External linking also needs to be disabled. Just password protecting your gallery does not prevent direct access to your photos via url manipulation.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    bigwebguy wrote:
    External linking also needs to be disabled. Just password protecting your gallery does not prevent direct access to your photos via url manipulation.
    "access to your photos"
    I think with external links on you only can see the PHOTO not gallery photos.
    The photo link does not expose the gallery link, which you need the PW for.

Am I missing something?

Photo in PW'ed gallery. "Never nap at a picnic"
    http://www.photosbyat.com/photos/335350846_u74zJ-Th.jpg
    You can change the -Th to other sizes but have still no idea what gallery it's in.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    pilotdave wrote:
    No No No No Nooooooo!

The only change they want to make is to stop checking whether or not thumbnails are password protected. They will still check for the larger sizes. Each time they do that check, it takes a little longer for the image to load.

This is important because we rarely load pages with lots of big images. We load pages with lots of thumbnails all the time though. If you could skip that one security check, each thumbnail would load faster. The cumulative effect would be that the page loads faster.

If you got the URL to a thumbnail somehow... not an easy task since that URL is only referenced in a password protected gallery... you could see THAT thumbnail and nothing else.

Keep in mind... for "unlisted" galleries with no password protection, this change has no effect.

Dave

I don't know exactly what you're responding to Dave. My very posting says what you said. Password protected images require the password for larger sizes (only if external linking is off), unlisted images do not.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    bigwebguy wrote:

And, NO CUSTOMER KNOWS THIS.

IMO, this is a clear miss in terms of meeting customer's expectations for security. When an option is required to deliver the security the customer expects and no customer knows that, then the feature is not delivering the security that customers expect. Customers would expect access to images to require the password. They would have no idea that this only requires the password if they turn external linking off.

I've had a similar conversation via email with Dustin and Andy, but I am unsure if people agree that something should change.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    And, NO CUSTOMER KNOWS THIS.

They sure know it in spades when their photos don't show up in blogs, forums, ebay auctions, etc.

Still, we'll see what might be able to be done.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    They sure know it in spades when their photos don't show up in blogs, forums, ebay auctions, etc.

Still, we'll see what might be able to be done.

No customer should have an expectation that a photo in a password protected gallery could be linked into a forum posting. That should have never worked in the first place and everybody would have understood if it never worked in the first place. If you want a non-public photo for external linking, use an unlisted gallery. It's perfect for that.

Now that you've left it this way for a long time, I'm sure some customers have ended up using it so you're stuck in a bad spot. But, believe me, many customers think they have more security than they do because they put a password on and figured that there would be no access allowed to the photos in the gallery without the password, when that is not really the case.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    HaighHaigh Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    No customer should have an expectation that a photo in a password protected gallery could be linked into a forum posting. That should have never worked in the first place and everybody would have understood if it never worked in the first place.

Agree completely.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited September 8, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    No customer should have an expectation that a photo in a password protected gallery could be linked into a forum posting. That should have never worked in the first place and everybody would have understood if it never worked in the first place.
    I have a great deal of respect for your point of view, but when we defaulted external links to off for passworded galleries, it was unmanageable. We lost too many customers to PBase and others because "SmugMug's external linking doesn't work. They claim you can post your photos in forums but I tried it and it didn't work."

I tried various help page tweaks, warnings, explanations, and forum postings but finally caved. It became clear that only a very advanced user could understand or care why we thought external links should default to off for password-protected galleries. Some people were very angry that we took it upon ourselves to change their external linking policy just because they changed their gallery to password-protected, embarrassing them publicly with broken images.

Imo, weak passwords and social engineering are the low-hanging fruit for people who want to break into galleries, not guessing a very obscure key.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    I have a great deal of respect for your point of view, but when we defaulted external links to off for passworded galleries, it was unmanageable. We lost too many customers to PBase and others because "SmugMug's external linking doesn't work. They claim you can post your photos in forums but I tried it and it didn't work."

I tried various help page tweaks, warnings, explanations, and forum postings but finally caved. It became clear that only a very advanced user could understand or care why we thought external links should default to off for password-protected galleries.

Imo, weak passwords and social engineering are the low-hanging fruit for people who want to break into galleries.

You have to run your business the way you want to run it. But proper implementation of security is one area where I typically look for other ways to solve the problem rather than compromising the design to suit the needs of the lowest common denominator.

Do you realize that when a gallery is password protected, external links are on and they've chosen a thumbnail for the gallery with feature photo that I can see any available size of that photo without supplying the password. Is that not a problem?

There's probably a way to view it even when external links are disabled (because there's no perfect way to implement external linking controls), but I haven't done the homework to figure that one out yet.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited September 9, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    You have to run your business the way you want to run it.
    Actually, I'd love to turn off external links if we could, but we haven't figured out how to do it in a way we can scale from a help-desk perspective.

You probably remember this, but for a long time we didn't allow thumbnail images on password-protected galleries. There were lots of feature requests to get them. One idea was to require that the thumb be public like Zenfolio does, but we couldn't seem to get much interest in that. The common response was, "I don't know who would make a sensitive image the featured one."

I suppose one idea would be to provide a warning dialog each time you feature a thumb on a passworded gallery, same if you set a password on a gallery that has the featured thumb set.

In comparison to feature requests like coupons, I think it goes without saying this feature would get maybe a thousanth of the interest.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Actually, I'd love to turn off external links if we could, but we haven't figured out how to do it in a way we can scale from a help-desk perspective.

You probably remember this, but for a long time we didn't allow thumbnail images on password-protected galleries. There were lots of feature requests to get them. One idea was to require that the thumb be public like Zenfolio does, but we couldn't seem to get much interest in that. The common response was, "I don't know who would make a sensitive image the featured one."
    I don't think I was around or using password protected galleries back then. I don't remember any of the discussion.
    Baldy wrote:
    I suppose one idea would be to provide a warning dialog each time you feature a thumb on a passworded gallery, same if you set a password on a gallery that has the featured thumb set.
    That's a work-around for an improperly set security expectation. That would be messy. If access to the larger sizes required the password, you wouldn't have to do any of that.
    Baldy wrote:
    In comparison to feature requests like coupons, I think it goes without saying this feature would get maybe a thousanth of the interest.
    Come on now. You know that security issues get judged on a different scale because when a few web articles about them get written, they can seriously mess with your reputation. This can happen even when the issue isn't very important or the vulnerability isn't very real world. So, you have to judge it both ways. How many customers would care about this issue if they really understood it? And, how bad would it be to our reputation if a bunch of articles were written about it. Judging it only by how many customers care about it when they mostly don't understand it is far too limiting.

Certainly, you remember articles like this. Before that was written, you could probably only find 10 customers who would rank imageKeys highly and very, very few would have prioritized them at all, but a few web articles pushed you to action. I'm not saying this issue is that level, just that (as you know) security issues can affect your reputation and impact you in ways that other missing features cannot so you use a different razor for deciding which ones to pay attention to.

My measure of whether I need to deal with a security issue includes the following:

If I have a weakness, then how would I feel if a big article was written about the weakness in a major publication? If I would be OK with explaining away the weakness and even being interviewed about it, then it can stand the way it is. If I would feel like I had to change something in order to protect the company reputation, then I figure this is a weakness that needs to get addressed as soon as practical.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    HaighHaigh Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    My measure of whether I need to deal with a security issue includes the following:

If I have a weakness, then how would I feel if a big article was written about the weakness in a major publication? If I would be OK with explaining away the weakness and even being interviewed about it, then it can stand the way it is. If I would feel like I had to change something in order to protect the company reputation, then I figure this is a weakness that needs to get addressed as soon as practical.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    lalartulalartu Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 13, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    If you allow long lifetime caching in browsers and on the edge, how does replace photo work? It seems like I could replace the photo on my site and things linking to it (blogs, forum postings, web pages, etc...) wouldn't see the new version of the photo for a very long time because the old version would get served out of cache for a long time. Isn't that a problem? Or is this caching only for thumbs?

The same way it works for anything else that is cached there is a built in mechanism as part of HTTP to support it. So if you were to cache the content be it a thumbnail or a full size image the results would generally be the same.

The origin servers are the source.
    The CDN (in this discussion sounds like it would be seeded) as opposed to filled based on user demand.

Without CDN:
    Initial View:
    User -- Smugmug Thumbnail --> Origin (HTTP GET Thumb URL)
    User <-- Smugmug Thumbnail -- Origin (HTTP response with Thumb)

Second View (localy cached, otherwise it is always an initial/full request):
    User -- Smugmug Thumbnail --> Origin (HTTP HEAD Thumb URL)
    User <-- Header only -- Origin (HTTP response with header)
    If cached_header == new_header show cached image, otherwise make a new request for the whole image. (This is how views for browser cached images can be counted)

With CDN:
    Everything above is the same except the pictures look like
    User --> CDN --> Origin
    Or probably based on the description
    User --> Edge CDN[1..n] --> Core CDN[1..n] --> Origin

The Core CDN is seeded (or the cache is warmed) and the CND Edge servers are fed from a subset of the global CDN. The Core scans the Origin content and sends changes out to the edge. Otherwise you have an amplification problem where the whole of the CDN is polling the origin for content updates which results in a DOS.

A mixed model would have requests to the edge go to the core go to the origin to be fulfilled and cached at each step of the way back to the user so the next request for the same content is faster.

I know that there are also authentication mechanisms supported by at least some CDNs which could be integrated into a solution allowing authenticated access to cached content.

An example HTTP GET request for http://lalartu.smugmug.com/photos/184957039_PGpiC-Th.jpg
    telnet lalartu.smugmug.com 80
    Trying 18.7.20.69...
    Connected to a539.b.akamai.net.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    GET http://lalartu.smugmug.com/photos/184957039_PGpiC-Th.jpg HTTP/1.1

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: Apache
    X-SmugID: 27.27.200
    ETag: "639ce34a8eafc0fd4411760955133628"
    X-Robots-Tag: index, archive
    X-Powered-By: smugmug/1.2.1
    Last-Modified: Sat, 24 May 2008 17:50:27 GMT
    X-FS: T
    Content-Length: 8091
    X-Extra: 0.121998786926
    X-Cnection: close
    Content-Type: image/jpeg
    Cache-Control: public, max-age=31708799
    Expires: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 18:54:54 GMT
    Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 18:54:55 GMT
    Connection: keep-alive

JFIFHHC (JPG content elided)

HTTP HEAD request for
    telnet lalartu.smugmug.com 80
    Trying 62.41.3.59...
    Connected to a539.b.akamai.net.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    HEAD http://lalartu.smugmug.com/photos/184957039_PGpiC-Th.jpg HTTP/1.1

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: Apache
    X-SmugID: 27.160.115
    ETag: "639ce34a8eafc0fd4411760955133628"
    X-Robots-Tag: index, archive
    X-Powered-By: smugmug/1.2.1
    Last-Modified: Sat, 24 May 2008 17:50:27 GMT
    X-FS: T
    Content-Length: 8091
    X-Extra: 0.115827083588
    Content-Type: image/jpeg
    Cache-Control: public, max-age=31708800
    Expires: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:07:40 GMT
    Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 19:07:40 GMT
    Connection: keep-alive

• Options
    arthousephotographyarthousephotography Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    My 2 cents
    My situation:

Pro user

I have
    a) Public galleries - watermarked
    b) Public galleries - password protected for clients
    c) Unlisted galleries for family pictures - also password protected

Current situation

a) open but watermarked (apart from thumbs - I want google to show my non watermarked picture to lure people in...
    b) clearly visible but password protected (easily broken by a pasword trawler unless spotted and blocked by smugmug)
    c) would have to trawl the url and guess the password

Proposed situation - as I understand it..
    a) no change to security but much faster loading
    b) IF the url of the thumb was trawled then they would be able to get one thumb but no bigger unless they also got the password
    c) as per b

The chances of coming across a URl of one of b0 or c) within the whole internet is about as much as me winning the lottery in the US europe and the UK all in the same week...for several weeks in a row...

So I'm not fussed go for it...

But I do understand the concerns of those above - so might it be possible to have smugmug run as effectively two sites - if you don't want push thumbs and speed you go onto site 1 and if you do you go site 2 - with you preferences deciding which site your account sits on? It would be possible for the sites to look identical as far as the majority were concerned..

Just a thought.
  • Options
    iklimoniklimon Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    In doing this change could we also allow for larger thumbs? :)thumb.gif
    Ian Klimon
    www.klimon.com