If you look please comment

ParksonParkson Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited June 22, 2008 in People
I am starting to get serious about my photography and was wondering what everyone else thought of this picture. i love it. of course it is my daughter so that might have something to do with it! What do you think??:lust
C. Rufo Photography:ivar

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Welcome to the forum! Your daughter is a beautiful little girl, that's for sure. I like her pensive expression. The main problem I find with the shot is that it is under-exposed and needs some "pop" or contrast and probably a little sharpening. These are simple adjustments, depending on what software you have available. We have some great tutorials here and there is a link on the navbar above.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    +1

Nice shot, just needs some more pop.
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Aside from needing that extra pop that has been mentioned, I'd like to see her looking at the camera
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Parkson wrote:
    i love it.
    And well you should.

But why should I, or anyone else for that matter? I can't see a single redeeming feature. But what would I know - am I missing something? ne_nau.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 20, 2008
    I can't see a single redeeming feature.

That seems a little harsh to me. ne_nau.gif The exposure and composition aren't bad. It needs brightening up and contrast enhancement. Overall, I think it is a little soft. Personally, I found it difficult to read the expression until I rotated it to portrait orientation, but when I did, I liked the thoughtfulness. I think with a little correction, this could be a nice pic.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 20, 2008
    And well you should.

But why should I, or anyone else for that matter? I can't see a single redeeming feature. But what would I know - am I missing something? ne_nau.gif

manners! rolleyes1.gif
    edited June 20, 2008
    Parkson

the image is a bit underexposed and soft.

as for her eyes, I don't always expect a subject's eyes to be looking at the lens but when going for a pensive, staring-into-space look you need to give the subject room, make the viewer wonder where the glance is focused.

here she's looking down at the ground, when she's already laying on the grass and coupled with the tight crop makes for a less interesting shot.
  • Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    ...am I missing something? ne_nau.gif

Tact
    Manners
    Good Taste
    Personality

The question was asked... just one man's opinion of course.
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    A beautiful girl indeed and a very pretty photo. I took the liberty of playing with your photo, lightening her up a bit and sharpening those gorgeous eyes.

beautiful20girl_1_2copy2.jpg
    LadyTX
  • ParksonParkson Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    We were outside taking lots of pictures. she was getting tired of taking so many and she laid down watching the boys next door skateboard. i was kneeling in front of her changing settings on the camera when i looked up and she was so interested and had such an innocent look on her face that i took the picture from where i was. i wanted to get that look before she got up saying she was done.
    edited June 20, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    A beautiful girl indeed and a very pretty photo. I took the liberty of playing with your photo, lightening her up a bit and sharpening those gorgeous eyes.

Thank you. like i said i am just getting started. I work as a photographer in a studio. set lighting set settings on my camera. so when i come home i try to play with my camera and learn what the settings can do. i don't have any photo editing programs yet. I do love the difference in her eyes!!!
  • bergermeisterbergermeister Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2008
    you have a beautiful daughter. I think the sharpening/brightening of the eyes by ladytx brings out the contemplation/captured interest that you likely wanted to caputure.
    edited June 20, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif

ladytx did a nice job. maybe she can tell you how she accomplished it?
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Tact
    Manners
    Good Taste
    Personality

The question was asked... just one man's opinion of course.
    100% balls-on accurate ((c) "My Cousin Vinnie") and a very clever pickup on the quote. One of the best Dgrin posts I have ever seen in the "Setting Somebody Straight" category. Nice. I know this post is borderline, but so was the subject post.
  • surlysurly Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    two wrongs dont make a right
    I don't think that calling someone, who is being honest, rude helps anyone
    It is also fair to ask why you should like something be it a photograph or a bowl of soup :poke

The definition of critique is to review or analyze critically
    • First thing I saw was half of an orange hair clip
    • Then I thought the face looked soft and underexposed
    • Then I noticed the crop which, I think, is too tight so it makes it look rotated CC until I noticed the grass and the direction its was growing
    All these are things one shouldn't notice in a good photograph.

All that said with the sincerest wish that it helps one improve and that it hurts no ones feelings.
    edited June 21, 2008
    surly wrote:
    I don't think that calling someone, who is being honest, rude helps anyone
    It is also fair to ask why you should like something be it a photograph or a bowl of soup :poke

The definition of critique is to review or analyze critically
    • First thing I saw was half of an orange hair clip
    • Then I thought the face looked soft and underexposed
    • Then I noticed the crop which, I think, is too tight so it makes it look rotated CC until I noticed the grass and the direction its was growing
    All these are things one shouldn't notice in a good photograph.

All that said with the sincerest wish that it helps one improve and that it hurts no ones feelings.

Wow what controversy my portrait has caused. I think all anyone was trying to say is that there is a nice way to analyze critically without telling someone that there isn't a single redeeming feature about their portrait. Being new to this site I can tell you that I thought twice about posting again. It is possible to criticize without offending someone!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 21, 2008
    Parkson wrote:
    It is possible to criticize without offending someone!

Precisely. I think you'll find that a large majority of Dgrinners try to offer constructive criticism. It is also fairly common for people to rework an image to show how they think it can be improved, as ladytx did here. The problem with WW's post is that it offers nothing in the way of helpful advice.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    You have a beautiful daughter and I love the expression you captured. Don't be discouraged by some of the comments.

I think it is a very nice shot. Keep at it and keep sharing.

Virginia

Email
  • Kayaking-N-SCKayaking-N-SC Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Angelo wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

ladytx did a nice job. maybe she can tell you how she accomplished it?

Nice photo of your daughter

I agree with Angelo, ladytx did a nice update. Besides the face being "cleaner", I appreciate the fact that the hair barret no longer pulls the eye to it.

So how spoiled is daddy's little girl? My sister was 9 years younger than me and was a terror. bowdown.gif
    Thomas
    Columbia, SC

Canon 5DmkII / 40D / 24-105 F4 L / LensBaby Composer

TLKPhotos.SmugMug.com
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Needs a levels adjustment to improve contrast...as others mentioned no pop.
    Needs sharpening and if she was looking at the camera or up with a small smile.....this would be money.
    Very pretty little girl....keep working at it you will get some great shots I am sure.