Options

iPhoto

gypsy77360gypsy77360 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited April 6, 2004 in Finishing School
Gotta love that iPhoto.
new camera (D70) , new cardreader (Dazzle CF ).
Plugged in cardreader to USB slot.
Plugged CF card into reader.
iPhoto launched and downloaded shots.
iPhoto then had box to check to reformat CF card.
Checked box and clicked.
Removed Cf card ( which is now empty) and plugged back into camera.
Life is easy in Mac world.
:lust

Comments

• Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2004
    gypsy77360 wrote:
    Gotta love that iPhoto.

The for-pay version of iPhoto may be worth the money, it is much faster than the free one.

But now that I'm using raw format files all the time I have been trying to figure out how to stop iPhoto from coming up whenever I insert a CF -- unsuccessfully so far. Anyone know how to do that?
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2004
    The preferences of Image Capture rule what happens when a card is inserted, if I'm not mistaken. I prefer to download to a folder on the desktop, and do some pre-iPhoto stuff first, then import.

Bad idea formatting the CF from iPhoto. Sometimes it looks as if the new pics are there, but the next time you start iPhoto, they are gone, and your CF is empty. Besides, for reliability reasons, it's a better habit to let the camera format the card to its specific "quirks and tastes".
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:
    Besides, for reliability reasons, it's a better habit to let the camera format the card to its specific "quirks and tastes".

I'll second that, although when I had trouble with this kind of thing (with Windows' Explorer "format" IIRC) the camera actually considered the card "bad". After that I gave up trying to let anything but the camera format the card.

FWIW I have had pictures silently fail to transfer with a variety of image programs. These days my preference is to manually copy all the images.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    gypsy77360gypsy77360 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2004
    ok
    Thanks for the tips. How do you go about getting files from CF card/reader to desktop without using iPhoto or Nikon type software. I'm assuming you disable iPhoto under it's Preferences , ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2004
    gypsy77360 wrote:
    Thanks for the tips. How do you go about getting files from CF card/reader to desktop without using iPhoto or Nikon type software. I'm assuming you disable iPhoto under it's Preferences , ne_nau.gif

I only found out how to disable iPhoto yesterday; it's actually one of the preferences for Image Capture.

When you put a CF card into a reader it will show up on the desktop as a drive. You can drag and drop the image files like any other file. I make a new folder for the pictures on my drive and copy the images from the reader to that folder. Easy, and fast.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com