Options

Smugmug newbie, first photo!

fotopiecefotopiece Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited June 25, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Hello to everyone!:wave My first post here and a quick panning shot I grabbed a while ago of a fishing boat leaving Rye Harbour in Kent, England.

Looking at using Smugmug to be my online host.

ryeharbour1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    I like the subject matter here. From a composition consideration, the boat would be better placed at the left of the scene....showing where it is going as opposed to where it has been. I would prefer to see this image a little more in focus as well.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    fotopiecefotopiece Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2008
    I like the subject matter here. From a composition consideration, the boat would be better placed at the left of the scene....showing where it is going as opposed to where it has been. I would prefer to see this image a little more in focus as well.

Thanks for the input. It was an unexpected shot, I was looking in the opposite direction (behind me) at the nature reserve, then heard the boat as it got a bit closer. As I turned around and changed settings I dialled in a shutter speed the was too slow, even though it isn't technically good.... I still kind of like it:D

A different composition...
    rye1.jpg
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    fotopiece wrote:
    Thanks for the input. It was an unexpected shot, I was looking in the opposite direction (behind me) at the nature reserve, then heard the boat as it got a bit closer. As I turned around and changed settings I dialled in a shutter speed the was too slow, even though it isn't technically good.... I still kind of like it:D

A different composition...

I love the shots but I am sure you would agree the focus could be better. Don't worry I am still learning to get things right. But well done.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    fotopiece wrote:
    Hello to everyone!wave.gif My first post here and a quick panning shot I grabbed a while ago of a fishing boat leaving Rye Harbour in Kent, England.

Looking at using Smugmug to be my online host.

Welcome to the Dgrin Forum Fotopiece clap.gif
    I keep looking at the boat and the background, and saying to myself...
    why does the front of the boat look less in motion than the back of the boat and the background??

I like it, it messes with my head, but I like it rolleyes1.gif

That's one thing I haven't tried, panning, I'm guessing it takes a while to get the hang of doing right?

Thanks for sharing, do share more of you images,
    and don't forget to look through the rest of the forums,
    the Gallery, Tutorials, Reviews etc, there's a Mega amount of information to be found right here thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    weronikaweronika Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Nice! thumb.gif Although it messes with my head a bit too ;-)