Options

Bokeh from hell?

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited June 22, 2008 in Finishing School
Or something else? :scratch Check this photo out from the Celtics parade.

Note: The image is copyright Matthew J. Lee of the Boston Globe. I saw it on this page; telling folks to scroll down 12 shots didn't seem as intuitive as a direct link.

Is this post-processing or something? I would think that a newspaper photog isn't allowed to 'shop their shots much...

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited June 20, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Or something else? headscratch.gif Check this photo out from the Celtics parade.

Note: The image is copyright Matthew J. Lee of the Boston Globe. I saw it on this page; telling folks to scroll down 12 shots didn't seem as intuitive as a direct link.

Is this post-processing or something? I would think that a newspaper photog isn't allowed to 'shop their shots much...

Looks pretty funky to me as well. There might be some heat distortion from shooting with a very long telephoto ne_nau.gif.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    The funky bokeh might be due to movement; looks like a lot of flag waving and people dancing around.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    The funky bokeh might be due to movement; looks like a lot of flag waving and people dancing around.

Cuong

my thoughts also.
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    BigmitchBigmitch Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    The front of the vehicle is more distorted than the back, its almost as if the front wheels are going over a bump that the back wheels havent got to yet
  • Options
    TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Could it be from the heat radiating from the vehicle?

It seems close to what I have in my shot of a train, and that was from the heat of the train alone...
    http://tdcompton.smugmug.com/gallery/4654304_a2h6k#276573706_VteTZ-O-LB

I really need to go back and edit that image again, it was a while ago and I've learned a bit since then... It doesn't really look as good as it could IMO.
  • Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Or something else? headscratch.gif Check this photo out from the Celtics parade.

Personally, I think it's just an example of bad bokeh. The region in the center of the picture has a lot of double lines, and they're not only in the up-down direction as would have been caused by the truck going over a bump, but also in the left-right direction. The region in the upper right part of the photo is a jumbled mess, but to me it looks like a jumbled mess of doubled lines, which is indicative of bad bokeh.

I wonder if this photo was taken with a mirror lens...

Mike
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 22, 2008
    Bokeh can be a funny thing. Sometimes it looks great with a certain lens, and sometimes with the same lens it can just suck.

I have seen bad bokeh with my Canon 500f4 and a 300 f2.8 at times. The background and the lighting sometimes seems to play a role. I also wonder abut the heat over the vehicles causing a rising air current in addition. My very best bokeh is usually with my 135 f2.

I think this was the lens and the viewing conditions. This does not look like a Gaussian blur due to Photoshop at all.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin