Options

How to focus

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited June 30, 2008 in Technique
I have 18-55 kit lens on 400D i am facing difficulty focusing infinty i have rotated on both sides but soft, OOF :dunno this was shot at 18mm and f5.6 nearly all got ruined from that day :cry

316651466_9jw88-O.jpg
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,901 moderator
    edited June 20, 2008
    Awais,

Especially for night photography I set infinity focus during the day and mark the focus ring against a fixed mark on the barrel of the lens. A little bit of tape makes the process easy to remove later if you mark only the tape.

Use a small flashlight to find your marks in the dark and use manual focus against the marks. You may need to bracket the focus slightly until you get used to what works for what lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Awais,

Especially for night photography I set infinity focus during the day and mark the focus ring against a fixed mark on the barrel of the lens. A little bit of tape makes the process easy to remove later if you mark only the tape.

Use a small flashlight to find your marks in the dark and use manual focus against the marks. You may need to bracket the focus slightly until you get used to what works for what lens.
    This is a so totally cool and simple idea. I feel so stupid now after trying to figure this out on my own. Thanks!
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Awais all i do is find a very distant light...or maybe the moon or a planet (which looks like a bright star) & let the camera do it for me. Its very rare that i cannot see one tiny spec of light somewhere off in the distance. I also use spot focus.

For lightning you should be out around (well thats my preference anyway) f22 which coincidently assists with getting most into focus.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    Thank you for suggestions i will try them
    i have to work with very limited Aperture as kit lens won't be good above f11 headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 22, 2008
    Awais,

I must confess that I am pretty loose about focus at distance at night for landscape type shots. I focus the lens manually all the way to Infinity and then back off ever so slightly, maybe 1/8 turn or much less. At at a small aperture, smaller than f8, with a lens focal length shorter than 50mm, I think you will find everything is sharply in focus.

Ziggy's idea is great, but I rarely think of that ahead of the timene_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Ziggy's idea's great, but if you miss the daylight and can't find a spec of light like Gus says, simply use small aperture (larger f-numbers) and hyperfocal distance. Use www.DOFmaster.com to find exact value for your particular lens.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    Thank you mwink.gif
    Much Appreciated

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2008
    Taken with the cheap kit lens. I have found it to be fine. I will use it way smaller than the f11 this photo was taken.

Its the subject mate....NOT the equipment.

f11

83622818_zBPqR-XL-6.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Taken with the cheap kit lens. I have found it to be fine. I will use it way smaller than the f11 this photo was taken.

Its the subject mate....NOT the equipment.

f11

83622818_zBPqR-XL-6.jpg

I confess bowdown.gif
    Actually i get good resonable photos with kit lens large prints are superb too. too good for the price

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    I confess bowdown.gif
    Actually i get good resonable photos with kit lens large prints are superb too. too good for the price
    Here is a 20 year old with a 400 XTi rebel & a kit lens.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008

My Gallery