Beach photos from Saturday

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited June 22, 2008 in People
This was one of the more challenging photo sessions. The kids wanted no part of it. Temp was 90+. To add insult to injury....smoke rolled up from the NC fires. C&C welcomed.

316854636_GS8hw-L.jpg

316856448_FPfqg-L.jpg

316857789_nWCau-L.jpg

316859681_QFzMP-L.jpg

316860303_7d5QH-L.jpg

C&C welcomed as usual! Thanks,

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Aw!! Those are adorable!!! iloveyou.gif 1&2 are my favorites ... the last one looks a bit blown out, but it woudl be an easy fix in photoshop / lightroom.

Love them. Perfect flash work!! bowdown.gif
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    I prefer the composition on 2, 3, and 4. There's not enough sky in number 1. 3 and 4 are my favorite. 4 is a great group family portrait. 5 doesn't look blown out on my monitor, It's a bit bright, but I like it. Could be a tad red?

Overall great stuff, especially considering the conditions. What lighting setup were you using?
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Wow! I really like these. #2 is my favorite.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Travis,

You take some great shots! I really like the bokeh on all of them.
    You could really take these shots to the next level by gelling your strobes though. WB imbalance between ambient & strobe is pretty obvious. Especially in #1.

-Jon
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Aw!! Those are adorable!!! iloveyou.gif 1&2 are my favorites ... the last one looks a bit blown out, but it woudl be an easy fix in photoshop / lightroom.

Love them. Perfect flash work!! bowdown.gif

Thanks Angie! Coming from you, thats a huge compliment. :D
    edited June 22, 2008
    gregneil wrote:
    I prefer the composition on 2, 3, and 4. There's not enough sky in number 1. 3 and 4 are my favorite. 4 is a great group family portrait. 5 doesn't look blown out on my monitor, It's a bit bright, but I like it. Could be a tad red?

Overall great stuff, especially considering the conditions. What lighting setup were you using?

Thanks Greg. The sun was camera left. Camera right, I fired 2 Vivitar 285s through a 3x2' diffusion panel placed about 3 feet from the subjects.
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    They seem to have a vintage feel... As the others said before me: good flashwork (with only a little question mark as why not use natural lighting if you can shoot like this). Great job!
    edited June 22, 2008
    Matt336 wrote:
    Wow! I really like these. #2 is my favorite.
    Thanks Matt!
    edited June 22, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Travis,

You could really take these shots to the next level by gelling your strobes though. WB imbalance between ambient & strobe is pretty obvious. Especially in #1.

-Jon

Thanks Jon. Both strobes were gelled with 1/2 CTO. headscratch.gif Maybe I needed to go stronger?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Travis,

-Jon

Nice Travis! Beach-shooting looks so easy, but it's not. I always have trouble keeping an eye on my subject and an eye on the different lines (edge of sand and the horizon) that could possibly cut through the subject's head. Not to mention, keeping an eye on passer-bys that could enter the frame while you're trying to concentrate on the pose. eek7.gif

I have been meaning to try flash gels myself, and I think John just finally convinced me. Seems it could save a load of skin work, which I dislike!!! :D
    edited June 22, 2008
    photocat wrote:
    They seem to have a vintage feel... As the others said before me: good flashwork (with only a little question mark as why not use natural lighting if you can shoot like this). Great job!

Thanks Photocat.... The flashes were used mainly as fill to offset the harsh, open sunlight. Without the flash, half their bodies would have been lost in dark shadow. It would have made it a lot easier had I been able to drop the strobes all together as I spent most of my time chasing the kids around beach . :D
    edited June 22, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Nice Travis! Beach-shooting looks so easy, but it's not. I always have trouble keeping an eye on my subject and an eye on the different lines (edge of sand and the horizon) that could possibly cut through the subject's head. Not to mention, keeping an eye on passer-bys that could enter the frame while you're trying to concentrate on the pose. eek7.gif

I have been meaning to try flash gels myself, and I think John just finally convinced me. Seems it could save a load of skin work, which I dislike!!! :D

Thanks Saurora. I agree on the beach shooting not being easy. Wide-open sunlight, leading lines, and distractions compounded by being covered from head to toe in sand and sweat! rolleyes1.gif As I replied to Jon, I used a 1/2 CTO gel on both flashes. I may have had to go higher....
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Well done Travis. Those conditions are very tough. The ultimate of course would to have assistance/scrims/tent for the subjects but that's someone else's world.mwink.gif

#2 is simply adorable. There are probably a couple little things in post that may help a bit but overall these are well planned and shot. Nice job. I don't have a beach like that here but in that light maybe a full gel would do the trick.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited June 22, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Well done Travis. Those conditions are very tough. The ultimate of course would to have assistance/scrims/tent for the subjects but that's someone else's world.mwink.gif

#2 is simply adorable. There are probably a couple little things in post that may help a bit but overall these are well planned and shot. Nice job. I don't have a beach like that here but in that light maybe a full gel would do the trick.

Thanks Swarty. I'd love to have a whole production team at my disposal! rolleyes1.gifNext round I think I will go with the full gell and see if it improves. I thought about trying different ones but taping those little suckers on in a 20 knot wind is a little tricky. :D
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Thanks Swarty. I'd love to have a whole production team at my disposal! rolleyes1.gifNext round I think I will go with the full gell and see if it improves. I thought about trying different ones but taping those little suckers on in a 20 knot wind is a little tricky. :D
    Try using a few 1/4 gel's instead. The fraction in front of the color gel is how many stops of light the gel will eat and doesn't have as much to do w/ the WB as one would rationalize. So doubling up two 1/4 CTO's will give a much richer orange color than one 1/2 CTO.
    Make sense?

Sorry for getting OT. Your beach shots really are good. I'm just a bit of a lighting geek.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Very nice photos from a beautiful location.
    Looked like the family was hanging in there pretty good...no screaming faces.
    For my taste a smidge over flashed, but certainly not much and overall very nicely done.
    Nice work on the compositon as well.
    edited June 22, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Try using a few 1/4 gel's instead. The fraction in front of the color gel is how many stops of light the gel will eat and doesn't have as much to do w/ the WB as one would rationalize. So doubling up two 1/4 CTO's will give a much richer orange color than one 1/2 CTO.
    Make sense?

Sorry for getting OT. Your beach shots really are good. I'm just a bit of a lighting geek.

Great idea. I'll have to give a try on the next shoot. I'll take any advice that I can get!
    edited June 22, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    Very nice photos from a beautiful location.
    Looked like the family was hanging in there pretty good...no screaming faces.
    For my taste a smidge over flashed, but certainly not much and overall very nicely done.
    Nice work on the compositon as well.

THanks Zoomer. Believe it or not, only one of the kids was not crying or screaming during the whole session (even bribing them with Mike and Ikes!) This was probably the most challenging shoot that I've done in some time but the parents were troopers so it worked out all right.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    clap.gif These are awesome!!!
    edited June 22, 2008
    clap.gif These are awesome!!!
    Thanks Andi!!!