Options

meta KeyWords question (help)

MikaGrinMikaGrin Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
edited July 11, 2008 in SmugMug Support
hi, for months now i register my smugmug website to most of the big search motors onthe internet and want i try to seach my self on the web: i'm nowhere!

i already put some meta keywords on my header section but it seems to be not working.

i push right click on my enter page push -code source- and i don't find my keywords anywhere in the header part.

There is some yes but they are yours:

[html]****** name="keywords" content="online photo albums, photo sharing, photo hosting, photo storage, albums, photo albums, photo, sharing, picture sharing, share photos, photo galleries, photo gallery, photos, photographs, online gallery, picture gallery, picture galleries, online galleries, smugmug gallery, smugmug, smug mug, smugmug photos, images, image galleries, image gallery, gallery hosting, galleries hosting, hosting" />
[/html]

doesn't bother me, but can we have yours and mine in the same time?

how and where please can i put my keywords for my website to be alot more competitive than it is now, and for the pleaple to find me somewhere ex:(yahoo, google, msn)?
Mika: On Smugmug :thumb
Michael Bastia (MB) Photographie Web Site :lust

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Hi Mika,this will help:

http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Maximize+Search+Engine+Findability

in particular, do the bit that says:

Put descriptive information in your Bio box. That will be picked up as Meta information. For example when viewing source, it would show:

****** name="description" content="blah blah blah blah" />
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Mika,this will help:

http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Maximize+Search+Engine+Findability

in particular, do the bit that says:

Put descriptive information in your Bio box. That will be picked up as Meta information. For example when viewing source, it would show:

****** name="description" content="blah blah blah blah" />

Thank you Andy but i already see that: http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Maximize+Search+Engine+Findability

but doesn't help me much , you say put keyword on photo description but doesn't help to be find, ex: when a couple search a photographer for their wedding i think they tape if it for exemple NY - NY wedding photographer- or -wedding photographer- or -photographer-

i'm ok for the description but i already try and i'm not finding my self,
    i'm interest in WEB SITE KEYWORDS and not juste simple photo description or keywords.

i already do my reseach and all the pro photographers -source page- (not smugmug) they have all their keywords place in the header section .

i not me???eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Mika please please please follow my instructions :)
    Go to my website and view source on the homepage. See this:
        ****** name="description" content="Moon River Photography by Andy Williams
    Portrait, event, and senior photography. Also specializing in Landscapes and Fine Art. New York City and Westchester County.

:D

now do like my wiki page says, and put it in your bio box thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Portrait, event, and senior photography. Also specializing in Landscapes and Fine Art. New York City and Westchester County.

ok Andy i gone try this, thank you, but i don't want my description to appear on the page like (make it work but invisible in the same time), how can i do that?? yhank you, mika
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    MikaGrin wrote:
    ok Andy i gone try this, thank you, but i don't want my description to appear on the page like (make it work but invisible in the same time), how can i do that?? yhank you, mika

Mika it's all on the wiki page, how to hide it thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:

OOOPS ok sorry, than you for patience and your help Andy. Mika
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:

to hide my description and keyword in my descrition box like say, i put :

#bioText Unknown macro: {display}

but seems to be not workink, what can i do about that Andy?

thank mika
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    MikaGrin wrote:
    to hide my description and keyword in my descrition box like say, i put :

#bioText Unknown macro: {display}

but seems to be not workink, what can i do about that Andy?

thank mika
    that was a wiki typo, sorry.

#bioText {display: none;} do that thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    that was a wiki typo, sorry.

#bioText {display: none;} do that thumb.gif

it work now thank you Andy , last question for you, how much time do you think the search motors gone take concideretion of the modofications in my bio box and push me up on the search page?

or

after those modifications do i have to re-regiter my website to them make the change too???

thank you Andy, mika
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:

I do exactly like the wiki say, and i don't find my self anywhere on the web, i already tape and search must of my keywords, and doesn't work at all!!!

so

last question for you, how much time do you think the search motors gone take concideretion of the modofications in my bio box and push me up on the search page?

or

after those modifications do i have to re-regiter my website to them make the change too???

thank you Andy, mika
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 21, 2008
    MikaGrin wrote:
    it work now thank you Andy , last question for you, how much time do you think the search motors gone take concideretion of the modofications in my bio box and push me up on the search page?

or

thank you Andy, mika

Hi Mika,

Search engines will index your site, for sure, but they sort of do that on their own time :) We do not have any control over that, I'm afraid. Google picks things up pretty quickly, but I can't say exactly when.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Hi Mika,

Search engines will index your site, for sure, but they sort of do that on their own time :) We do not have any control over that, I'm afraid. Google picks things up pretty quickly, but I can't say exactly when.

thank you Barb but i also have to know: it's important

after those modifications (i put my meta description and keywords in my boi box) do i have to re-regiter my website to them (google, yahoo,....) make the change too???
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    MikaGrin wrote:
    thank you Barb but i also have to know: it's important

after those modifications (i put my meta description and keywords in my boi box) do i have to re-regiter my website to them (google, yahoo,....) make the change too???

No, you don't have to do anything. The search engines will pick it up when they index your site :)
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    No, you don't have to do anything. The search engines will pick it up when they index your site :)

thank you very much Andy and Barb for your help doday, sorry than sometimes i can be a bit persistent, so again thank you so muchthumb.gif, mika.

ps: i love Smugmug......:)
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    MikaGrin wrote:
    thank you very much Andy and Barb for your help doday, sorry than sometimes i can be a bit persistent, so again thank you so muchthumb.gif, mika.

ps: i love Smugmug......:)

You are very welcome!
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    coleygmcoleygm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Thanks for this post guys...i followed the advice from the Wiki and hopefully i did it right. Feel free to check on me though :D

My question though is did i put good information into my bio? I keep reading warnings about not doing it right and then getting black flagged as a spammer. I simply put all the keywords that i use in my galleries because ideally I'd want someone to goggle one of the schools or clubs i cover along with maybe a sport or level of sport (ie Varsity, JV, etc,..) and boom...i come up in the first 10 hits of Goggle. Not sure if what I've done in my bio along with information i added in my head tag area are doing that. Additionaly, i've tried to link with sites like this Forum, Blurb, and other such sites hoping the circular effect helps. although i have no idea really.

Additionally, I've been approached by several companies that promise to keep me in the top 10 hits of search engines for around $300 a year. I just provide them with a list of my keywords and then i think i have to add some code into my site linking to them or something not unlike goggle analytics I'd think. Any thoughts on these services? I mean if i knew how to do this myself i would, but it seems the algorithms used now days for search engines are pretty complex for us simple photogs.

any thoughts greatly appreciated.