Little girl portrait, what does it need?

RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
edited July 1, 2008 in People
So I was home for a few days visiting my parents several weeks ago. While I was home some friends of the family came over for dinner. While they were there I shot this picture of their daughter. I thought it came out pretty well, I used my 420EX for fill flash as it was a pretty bright day.

This is what it looks like after I did the RAW conversion. I'm not used to doing portraits, so I don't know what I can do to make this look it's best. I know how to touch up skin and things using the healing brush, but I know the people here who do Senior Pictures do a lot of things to their shots, and I'm looking for alittle help!

Thank you!

Wendell_20080616_4508.jpg

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    I'd be thrilled to work one up for you...can you provide me with the RAW file?..this way we can use the best workflow.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Sure, as soon as I am back at my computer I will send you a link to the file. Do you mind documenting everything you do both in Raw and in Ps? I want to try to use this shot as a learning experience for me. Oh and what processor will you use? I have LR or ACR.

Apart from the PP does anyone haveany comments on the shot and things I coul improve on? I'm still getting the hang of fill flash for shots like this.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Apart from the PP does anyone haveany comments on the shot and things I coul improve on? I'm still getting the hang of fill flash for shots like this.

A nicely exposed image and you did well with the flash. I like the setting. When shooting in bright light you have to really pay attention to where the light is falling, particularly on your subject's face. I know from my last session rolleyes1.gif , that the light that falls on the face (like on her nose) isn't that noticeable as you're shooting, but can be very obtrusive in the photo. Next time you might want to try some back-lighting since you are using fill flash anyway. The back-lighting would be very pretty with her long hair and the flowers in that setting. Do you have any other shots of her?
    edited June 21, 2008
    Wow. I didn't even realize about the light on her nose until you said something! I wil have to try more of a direct back lighting next time. I wish I had more of her. It was at a party for my Dad and it was kind of just a spur of the moment shot she asked me to take. Thanks for the comments. I'm still getting thehang of "natural" flash pictures.

I should have the file uploaded in about an hour. As soon as the Cardinals finish beating the Red Sox! :D
    edited June 21, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Sure, as soon as I am back at my computer I will send you a link to the file. Do you mind documenting everything you do both in Raw and in Ps? I want to try to use this shot as a learning experience for me. Oh and what processor will you use? I have LR or ACR.

Yes, I use LR then pull it into CS3....will go through (as best as possible) the steps...oftentimes a concept develops as I'm working on it. mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited June 22, 2008
    Here is version #1:

317404876_u62Sj-XL.jpg
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited June 22, 2008
    I just sent you a PM about this Swartzy! I love it!

What other versions could there possibly be after this? I really want to learn what you did to make this look this good, and learn how to do this same type of editing to other photos!

Wow!!
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Very pretty shot in harsh midday light.
    First you need to reduce the contrast and even out the light.
    Shadows highlights will help you do that after you reduce the contrast.
    Then do a levels adjustment and you will be pretty clowe.
    Schwartzy did an excellent job on the remake.

Such a cute young lady...if you have the opportunity try it again in the first or last hour of the day in good light.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    A GREAT book for lighting naturally is by Douglas Allen Box. The photos aren't that awesome, the the techniques and tips are invaluable - I definitely suggest checking it out!

Also, I'm VERY distracted by her t-shirt. Something with no writing/logos on it is much preferable. I'd also consider having her stand in a more comfortable manner - she looks overly posed. For kids, sometimes having them sit is a bit more conducive to comfortable poses.....

Still, a very good shot! Keep trying - and I hope that helps!
    edited June 22, 2008
    Heh, Well Andie....guess we see things differently..Laughing.gif....I think the fishies on her shirt (the blue part) go with the one blue flower and the slight spots of blue sky in the background....colorwise it's match match :D
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Heh, Well Andie....guess we see things differently..Laughing.gif....I think the fishies on her shirt (the blue part) go with the one blue flower and the slight spots of blue sky in the background....colorwise it's match match :D
    Laughing.gif! It's always nice to see someone else's perspective!

For me, though, my eye keeps moving way too much in the photo - from her face, to the flowers to the shirt.... But I think everyone is different so... :D
  • ParksonParkson Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Ok dont' know anything about light like a lot of other people do. But, I think there are too many flowers. I think if you did a vertical shot of her and the tree and maybe one flower in her hair that would be nice. Just a different way to look at that pose!
    C. Rufo Photography:ivar
    edited June 24, 2008
    It is funny how everyone sees things differently. Rhuarc really likes this one and wanted to make it prettier. Obviously, this shot can't be changed as far as flowers, shirt, polka dots (are there any??? man, it's late) stuff like that. I agree better light, a few less flowers, a neutral top, etc. would aid along with a body turn....but hey, it's his daughter...and and.....ok, I'm going to bed before I get in trouble..Laughing.gif:D
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Rhuarc,

Looks like a nice shot. Can I get a shot at this RAW file?
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • huntjaxhuntjax Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2008
    Wow that is Photoshop talent
    You are very talented with photoshop. I really need to take a class. It would probably just be easier to hire someone to photoshop my pictures. Anyone have any ideas what it would cost to have someone fix pictures and who might do that?
    www.huntjax.com
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    Cute girl! The picture is a little busy for me but everyone has their own likes and dislikes! There is one photoshop plug in I couldn't live without and that is Imaginomic's Portraiture. It softens skin tones only and leaves the rest of the picture intact. I use it to some degree on almost every picture. It makes a huge difference in the photo's. I think this is what senior portrait photogs use alot. Give it a try!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    nice PS Swartzy
    edited June 30, 2008
    LoL, no worries everyone! I agree, with more time and preparation there are a lot of thigns I would probably change from a technical standpoint. The one thing that wouldn't be changing would be the shirt. Her and her brother each wore a shirt everyday for the weekend that my parents had given to them from various trips. This was the shirt she picked out to wear for the day. This shot is more aimed at the sentimental type of shot and not the "perfect portrait" type of shot.

I really appreciate all of the comments and help though! They are certainly things I will think about in the future!

geospatial_junkie: As soon as I get a chance I will send you a link for the RAW file. I welcome any help I can get in learning how to better process shots like this to get the most out of them!
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Sounds good Rhuarc!:D
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • tanyBUGtanyBUG Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    thats pretty remarkable, whats been done with photoshop, really takes the shot to a whole new level.