Magic Man

JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited June 22, 2008 in People
This guy does a lot of magic tricks/shows, and wanted a shot of him doing this card flicking thing for a kind of poster shot.

I agree with all those that think selective colouring should be used sparingly but I thought it worked here :rolleyes

Yes I know about the shadows, behind him and on his chest/face (Are these hard to remove? - I only have an SB-400 which only tilts one way, so when I shoot in portrait orientation it is quite annoying :scratch

Let me know what you think

317271325_fzeoC-L.jpg
Jethro :D
My Blog
Jethro Kingston Photography
Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    That is one cool photo!thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Thanks Dave :):
    My Blog
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Jet wrote:
    This guy does a lot of magic tricks/shows, and wanted a shot of him doing this card flicking thing for a kind of poster shot.

I agree with all those that think selective colouring should be used sparingly but I thought it worked here rolleyes1.gif

Yes I know about the shadows, behind him and on his chest/face (Are these hard to remove? - I only have an SB-400 which only tilts one way, so when I shoot in portrait orientation it is quite annoying headscratch.gif

Let me know what you think

VERY COOL PHOTO....the SC does work.....IMO..........
    A flash bracket would help a lot with that.......but it has to be a bracket on which the camera rotates not the flash or you will get pretty much the same as here.......................
    Once you get used to using a flash brack you won't ever want to shoot flash with out one......sorta like learning to like to use a tripodheadscratch.gif now I am confuzzed..............:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited June 21, 2008
    Thanks Art,
    I was quite the lucky one to get all 4 aces in the shot - planned but not sure it would workmwink.gif
    First on the list for me is a SB-600 (is the SB800 much better?), then obviously a diffuser (I'm thinking Gary Fong type of setup) and now it sounds like I need to add a bracket to the listrolleyes1.gif
    My Blog
  • NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    well, yeah, although, isn't the point of the Gary Fong set up meant to allow you not to have to use a bracket? From what I understand you might want to see if you need the bracket once you get the Fong.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
    edited June 22, 2008
    As you can see, I dont really know, so I'll find out sometime in the future :D
    My Blog
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Great picture ! clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    NateWagner wrote:
    well, yeah, although, isn't the point of the Gary Fong set up meant to allow you not to have to use a bracket? From what I understand you might want to see if you need the bracket once you get the Fong.

That is the theory behind the Fong.....I use a Lambency Clear with white end cap....looks just like a Fong and with Postage from HK it was still lots cheaper......
    Got side tracked a bit.......my reason for always using a bracket for my flash is thus:
    1- flash stays centered over lens and is above lens to ensure no red eye.....

2- I do not like the strain put on a plastic flash foot when one wants to shoot vertical and that diffuser is not the lightest piece of equipment in my bag.....my LumiQuest Light box is a whole lot less weight.

3- with flash on top and always pointing up and not to the side at any time I am also protecting my flash as a whole .....(not just the foot here).....keeping people from bumping into it.........

4- it just looks more professional :Dmwink.gifthumb.gif

The reason to go with SB800 over the 600 has more to do with controllability than power....... if I am not mistaken there is only a 1 or 1.5 stop difference in the light output....... the 800 can be used to actually control more than the 600 can...... and it is always best to purchase the best you can possibly afford and not have to always be in the upgrade mode, especially if one is wanting to doing photoing for a living....... that way you are not always in the learning mode with your equipment.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website