Options

flower in cool lighting

hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
edited June 26, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I used a relatively closed aperature to catch only the brightest thing in this photo, the flower and it's green parts. PLEASE C+C!!!!! thanks and enjoy!

dsc0011ry3.jpg
www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod

Comments

• Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    I used a relatively closed aperature to catch only the brightest thing in this photo, the flower and it's green parts. PLEASE C+C!!!!! thanks and enjoy!

I actually love the shot and it is bordering on a macro in my opinion but I am certainly no professional. Well done and hope to see more.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008

Love the flower, and the light that hits it, but it's smack bang in the middle.

The composition needs rethinking thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    thanks for the responses guys. Skippy, how do you suggest i recrop? I tried a couple different ways, but i wanted to keep the green leaf/stem thing in the photo (the one in bottom left) without having it be in the very corner of the frame. What do you suggest?
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
  • Options
    weronikaweronika Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    It took me a while to figure out how I felt about the picture - the flower is very nice, with the cool shadows and texture, and I like the mostly black background with just a few green bits, but the whole picture just wasn't doing anything for me... Looked like you just randomly took a picture of a flower. It's definitely the composition with the flower right in the middle that's bugging me - I think this could be a great photo with some cropping!

I'd take about 25% off the right side, and 15-20% off the top - I agree the bottom left has cool stuff and we don't want to crop that.

Also, could you remove the one thin stem sticking out of the left edge? It's distracting.

I'd really like to see what this picture looks like after some recomposing!
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    recropped it
    i recropped this a while ago, just forgot to repost it! so here it is. please tell me what you think, hopefully it makes it a better picture alltogether. thanksbowdown.gif

dsc0011pm4.jpg
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

• Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    The lighting is nice and the crop was way better then the original post. Although i think if you get closer and rethink the whole thing a second longer before snapping, it will get better. You maybe not get the cool light but a better shot in general.

Shooting flowers is harder then it seems and im not that good so i can pick on anything. But im just trying to give you some advice so you can try it on the next flower you stumble over. When i shoot flowers i get all messed up..I crawl around the flower and look for cool angels and so on. Try it and it might turn out good! Not saying that it allways does ne_nau.gif Well you can allways blame it on something hehe! Keep it up! and if you can..Go there again and snap the hell out of it!
  • Options
    weronikaweronika Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Mmm, much better! You definitely got rid of the "random flower in a sea of darkness" feeling ;-)

It's still almost in the middle, so I'd play around with more crops, but it's a BIG improvement. thumb.gif
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Try converting the image to LAB in photoshop, then selecting the Lightness Channel. Use the unsharpen mask on this channel and select an amount of 15 with a radius of 2. Repost and lets check out the results with the cropping!

http://cartographica.smugmug.com
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    Try converting the image to LAB in photoshop, then selecting the Lightness Channel. Use the unsharpen mask on this channel and select an amount of 15 with a radius of 2. Repost and lets check out the results with the cropping!

http://cartographica.smugmug.com

LAB? I have elements, so will that option (whatever it is and that i am soon to find otu about) be there?

and thanks for the responses. I'll fiddle around with another crop or two and post one I like in a little bit.
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I shoot a LOT of flowers--which just means that I like them, not that I'm an expert by any means!! I love the color and the dark background, but I'm put off by the stems on the right. I think the second crop is much better than the first, but I'd like to see less on the right. I find myself getting distracted by those stems and not looking as much at the subject flower.

Hope you post again--I'm looking forward to your next version.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com