Baby Red-Tail Update - Graduation Day

PrescottPhotogPrescottPhotog Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
edited July 1, 2008 in Wildlife
Hi Everyone,

Well Junior is all grown up (I had to name him). I have gone out every day this week arriving at the nest before 6 am to see if this is the week he will finally venture out.

He is now fully capable of flying the huge grove of trees where the nest is located. Since he is an only kid he has been using it to the max, exploring, hunting and learning to fly. He hasn't left the grove yet (more on this below) but the time is very close. 45 to 48 days is usually when they leave the nest. From what I can estimate Junior was born around 4/27 which makes it around 55 days for him.

Although he now rules the woods, from one side to the other, he hasn't left the grove the nest is in. Today he took off and flew the perimeter of the grove but didn't leave. He is ready though as you can see by the photos. He sits in the tree and watches dad sit on the pole and cries like a little kid that wants his parents. I've been trying to get a good full flight shot but it's just to difficult with all the trees, leaves and limbs in the way.

Another thing that I noticed that was very odd was what mom and dad did today. Most of you know the piercing Red-Tail call (I call it a scream). Today dad brought breakfast and when he left to sit on the pole just away from the nest he started a very strange chirping sound. A short sharp chirp. Mom then flew over the nest a couple times doing the same call. I have never heard this call from any Red-Tail before. All I can figure is that they are trying to lure Junior off the nest for good. Mom flew quite a few passes above the nest chirping away so I figured this must be the day.

I wanted to stay but I also didn't want to interfere in something this important because dad is very hostile toward people and I know he knows I am there even though I am very well hidden. Mom is very passive but not dad as you can see from the shots I got of him on his pole the other day. Also, where the nest is located is in a pretty busy area for trucks and equipment and the weekend is very quiet, so another reason for this being the day. So I left to leave mom and dad coax Junior out into the world. As you can see from the last photo he is definitely ready. I just got this last shot the other day and it is my favorite, I hope it isn't to dark for some monitors.

I will go back tomorrow to see if Junior is still there. Even if he is I think I will leave them alone so they can teach the little guy the ways of his world. I started this on 3/20 and yesterday marked three months from when I first saw mom sitting on the nest. It has been fun and I have learned so much watching this family raise their little one. Dad doesn't like me, Mom tolerates me. Even though I have kept my distance I know they knew I was there before I knew they were there.

I know I've posted a lot of shots of Junior and you have been great with your comments.. so these are just for your enjoyment. Leave a comment if you would like or just enjoy the photos that have been such a blast for me to take. Monday I can get my life back and not have to get up at 4:30 am to get to the nest for the good sunlight by 6:00 am. Man will that be nice.

Because this post got so big I also posted some links to additional shots from the last few days.. if you care to view them. They are below the photos.

#1 - Mama RT in the very early morning sun about 100 yards from the nest.
rt_sm_1.jpg
--
#2 - Dad RT same pole and not liking me taking his picture at all.
He is very hard to photograph because his color is very flat and dull, his eyes are almost black.
rt_sm_2.jpg
--
#3 - Is this branch leaning or is it me ?
rt_sm_3.jpg
--
#4 - Attacking a leaf.
rt_sm_4.jpg
--
#5 - Exploring more of the woods.
rt_sm_6.jpg
--
#6 - Practice, practice and more practice.
rt_sm_7.jpg
--
#7 - The serious look.
rt_sm_8.jpg
--
#8 - Get ready, get set....
rt_sm_9.jpg
--
#9 - Maybe I'll go over there instead.
rt_sm_10.jpg
--
#10 - Perfect landing
rt_sm_11.jpg
--
#11 - Soaking up the sun in the 95 degree heat, (see other photo links for more poses) .
rt_sm_12.jpg
--
#12 - Getting attacked by little birds (all these shots are from different birds over about an hours time
(these are just the ones I was lucky enough to catch in the frame) It was relentless.
rt_sm_13.jpg
--
#13 - Early morning sun just coming up.
rt_sm_14.jpg
--
#14 - Taken one month ago today - 5/21/08. Quite a contrast to the next shot
rt_sm_16.jpg
--
#15 - Here is what Junior looks like today, all grown up and ready to take on the world.
This is my favorite shot from the last 3 months and I just got it yesterday.
rt_sm_15.jpg
--

More Linked Photos below..

#1 - Always watching for Mom and Dad
--
#2 - Climbing through the trees
--
#3 - One of his favorite spots
--
#4 - Getting attacked over and over
--
#5 - More attacks
--
#6 - More attacks
--
#7 - And more attacks
--
#8 - Laying in the sun
--
#9 - Another great pose
--
#10 - One last shot standing in the nest
'
Prescott Photog, Chris - " One Shot, One Still "
'
Canon CPS Member
SmugMug Pro User - www.PrescottOutdoors.net
NAPP Member..Click for Info

Comments

• shoepickshoepick Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Beautiful shots.thumb.gif I like #11 the most..clap.gif
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    You've done a great, real great job of bringing this to us

clean, telling images with story to follow along

You should be quit pleased with your work, in fact
    I'd package that baby and put it up for the world to see thumb.gif

Again super job, thanks for taking me along ylsuper.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif You've done such an awesome job with this! Thanks so much for going to such great detail in your story-telling. He sure is a beauty and you have some wonderful shots and memories! #3 just cracks me up, but I also like #11 and the last shot. thumb.gif
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Very nice Chris! Thanks for continuing the documentary thumb.gif
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Wow Chris! I started trying to remember which ones I liked but gave up after I hit that middle section and there are just so many good ones. What a beautiful bird. Great captures there clap.gifclap.gif
  • PrescottPhotogPrescottPhotog Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    shoepick wrote:
    Beautiful shots.thumb.gif I like #11 the most..clap.gif

Hi, Thanks for viewing and for your compliments.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    edited June 22, 2008
    bfjr wrote:
    You've done a great, real great job of bringing this to us
    clean, telling images with story to follow along

You should be quit pleased with your work, in fact
    I'd package that baby and put it up for the world to see thumb.gif

Again super job, thanks for taking me along ylsuper.gif

Hi Ben, Thanks for your very nice comments. It has been a lot of fun (and a lot of work) so I'm glad you enjoyed the shots.

I'm amazed at how fast they grow, a bit over thirty days from fragile white fluff to amazing raptor.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
  • bhowdybhowdy Registered Users Posts: 658 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Chris,

The updates have been appreciated and interesting. #10 did it for me in this series. Wow wow wow! bowdown.gif

Bob
    Maryville, TN.

http://bhowdy.smugmug.com/
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Chris your dedication and love for his animal shines through in your photos of this beautiful raptor.

Mom and Daddy Red-Tail produced a fine looking Junior and while he did take his time in growing up it gave you more time to capture his life in amongst the trees with all the other birds that kept him company.

It was worth the 3 months of early mornings thumb.gif

Fly High Junior - Enjoy Your New World clap.gif
  • GaleGale Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Wonderful shots and documentation
    Thank You for sharing
    Best Regards
    Gale

www.pbase.com/techwish
    edited June 23, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif You've done such an awesome job with this! Thanks so much for going to such great detail in your story-telling. He sure is a beauty and you have some wonderful shots and memories! #3 just cracks me up, but I also like #11 and the last shot. thumb.gif

Hi, Thank you very much for you nice comments. #3 cracked me up too. This guy is such a clown and finds lots of ways to entertain himself. Yesterday I watched him attack every leaf and limb on the tree. He was instinctively practicing killing his prey. He would grab the limb with his claw and then hold on as if it was trying to get away. He would spin around in a circle, hover over it with his wings spread and then attack it with his beak. He did this over and over on different branches. Once a branch almost tripped him up and he went at it with a vengeance, stomping it with his foot over and over trying to break it.. it was hilarious.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    edited June 23, 2008
    BigAl wrote:
    Very nice Chris! Thanks for continuing the documentary thumb.gif

Hi Al, Thanks for the compliment and for viewing.. it has been fun and I'm glad you enjoyed the shots.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Wow! Numbers 10 and 11 are great. Very nice series documenting the growth of this guy!
    edited June 23, 2008
    Giphsub wrote:
    Wow Chris! I started trying to remember which ones I liked but gave up after I hit that middle section and there are just so many good ones. What a beautiful bird. Great captures there clap.gifclap.gif

Hi Mike, Thanks for your comments. The little guy sure has grown up to be a beauty and he is a terror too. I can't imagine if there were two or three flying around..
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    edited June 24, 2008
    bhowdy wrote:
    Chris,

The updates have been appreciated and interesting. #10 did it for me in this series. Wow wow wow! bowdown.gif

Hi Bob, Thanks for viewing and for your compliments. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos and updates.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    edited June 24, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Chris your dedication and love for his animal shines through in your photos of this beautiful raptor.

Mom and Daddy Red-Tail produced a fine looking Junior and while he did take his time in growing up it gave you more time to capture his life in amongst the trees with all the other birds that kept him company.

It was worth the 3 months of early mornings thumb.gif

Fly High Junior - Enjoy Your New World clap.gif

Hi Mary Kim, Thank you for you very nice compliments and comments, they are very much appreciated.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    edited June 24, 2008
    Gale wrote:
    Wonderful shots and documentation
    Thank You for sharing

Hi Gale, Thank you very much for your compliments, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    This has been an incredible series that you've produced. It's been like our own Discovery Channel mini-series. I know this was a lot of fun for you to make but also involved a lot of work, both in the field and at the computer. Thanks for your dedication both to making the captures and to posting them and adding your commentary. It's been great thumb.gif

BTW, I've already marked the 2009 Redtail Nursery Series schedule on my calendar :D
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Fascinating!!
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I have thoroughly enjoyed your documentary~both the images & commentary. I know you put alot of time & effort into this for those of us who will never get the opportunity to experience it personally.

Just an idea~~from all of the images you've posted, grab the best 10-12 (I know it'll be hard mwink.gif ), crop & edit as needed and include commentary including date, age, developmental stage for each. Then creat a gallery that really shows the progression. You may even want to post the results here in one thread. I'd check it out! thumb.gif

BTW...I'll bet a lens cap mom & dad are back again at the same spot next year.

Excellent job! Thank you!
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
    edited June 24, 2008
    Maestro wrote:
    Wow! Numbers 10 and 11 are great. Very nice series documenting the growth of this guy!

Hi Stephen, Thank you very much for your compliment and comments, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    edited June 25, 2008
    This has been an incredible series that you've produced. It's been like our own Discovery Channel mini-series. I know this was a lot of fun for you to make but also involved a lot of work, both in the field and at the computer. Thanks for your dedication both to making the captures and to posting them and adding your commentary. It's been great thumb.gif

BTW, I've already marked the 2009 Redtail Nursery Series schedule on my calendar :D

Hi, Thank you for the nice compliments. I am also looking forward to 2009. I can't imagine what it would be like if there were 2 or 3 babies to keep track of. This one is a real terror. Yesterday he threw a tantrum because he went to the nest and didn't find breakfast waiting. He grabbed branches with his talon and twigs with his beak and was throwing them around just like a little kid would do. He is really something to watch.

Now if I can just figure out a way to get rid of those two small branches that are blocking the nest view. They aren't anywhere near the nest, about 8 or 10 feet in front of it.. but they are right in my line of sight for shots, but also about 75 feet in the air. I've missed some incredible shots because of the leaves block the faces of baby, mom and dad.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Amazing set, Chris! clap.gifbowdown.gifthumb

I'd be tempted to cut out the bird and trunk on #6 and lay it on a muted canvas background...I love the feel of that shot.

#15 belongs on your wall.mwink.gif
  • HinichHinich Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 25, 2008
    Love the shots!!! We had 3 baby redtailed hawks in a tree in our front yard! I got some good pics of them, but they've flown the coop now! I'll have to upload some when I get home tonight! :)
    edited June 25, 2008
    DonnaLu wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I have thoroughly enjoyed your documentary~both the images & commentary. I know you put alot of time & effort into this for those of us who will never get the opportunity to experience it personally. Excellent job! Thank you!

Hi, Thank you very much for your comments and compliments. I plan on putting the progression in a gallery as well as a photo book but first I have to weed through the 2500 images I have (this 2500 are the keepers) to get the best shots. I've got some that are very special so I want to include those.

They are already organized by date so now it is just a matter of processing the images, getting organized and adding some text for explanation.

Thank you again, I'm glad you enjoyed the journey (which is still going on).
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    edited June 25, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Amazing set, Chris! clap.gifbowdown.gifthumb

I'd be tempted to cut out the bird and trunk on #6 and lay it on a muted canvas background...I love the feel of that shot.

#15 belongs on your wall.mwink.gif

Hi Ric, Thanks for your comments and thumbs up throughout the posts. I'm glad you enjoyed watching junior grow, I sure did. Lots of laughs out at the nest, this guy is a real terror (and a spoiled brat).
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    edited June 25, 2008
    Hinich wrote:
    Love the shots!!! We had 3 baby redtailed hawks in a tree in our front yard! I got some good pics of them, but they've flown the coop now! I'll have to upload some when I get home tonight! :)

Hi Heather, Thank you for viewing and for the comments. I look forward to viewing your photos of the Red-Tails when you post them.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
  • HinichHinich Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2008
    http://picasaweb.google.com/hinich77/BabyHawks/photo#5202621829739799282

Google isn't letting me direct link pictures...so here is a link to one of the pics!!
    edited June 27, 2008
    Hinich wrote:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/hinich77/BabyHawks/photo#5202621829739799282

Google isn't letting me direct link pictures...so here is a link to one of the pics!!

Wow, my (one) guy had it made in his big nest. All the antics I watched him pull wouldn't have worked if he had siblings. All three in your nest plus mom and dad stopping by must have made for tight quarters at times.
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Outstanding job of documenting its development Chris. clap.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited June 27, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    Outstanding job of documenting its development Chris. clap.gif

Thanks Harry, it was a lot of fun. Now I know what the term "empty nester" really feels like..rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    '
    '
    Canon CPS Member