Talk me out of a d300?

EileronEileron Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited June 30, 2008 in Cameras
Hey there everybody,

So I've been using my D80 pretty heavily over the past year (not pro-heavy, mind you, but I've taken a good number of shots with it) and, except for an wide angle I'm about to purchase in Japan (the Tokina 11-16mm, if I can find it), I've just about finished my "d80 kit".

D80, the battery grip, Nikkor 18-55mm II, 55-200mm VR, 50mm f/1.4, and soon the Tokina.

I'm a student, so I don't have THAT much surplus income, but I get a decent bonus check (3kish) in the fall, and a smaller one in the spring - part of which goes towards living expenses and the like, but part of which I angle towards photography.

The D80's done me well, but with all the love flying around for the D300 I'm starting to get the urge to make a jump. I was originally just going to wait for an FX kit (something like the D700 sounds friendly), but 3/4 of my lenses would defeat the purpose of having an FX camera, and while I could maybe excuse the cost of the camera, I couldn't excuse the cost of the lenses.

I could rant on, but just curious for (another) set of opinions - haha, but this time, more in the opposite direction. Any thoughts?

Edit: Alternatively my photo-buddies are trying to talk me into a Canon instead, "Having both is great!" and all that. I think they just want someone to get a 40D or 5DmkII (whenever it exists) for them to toy with...

Comments

• LovesongLovesong Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    In your position, I would actually spend money on glass. While you have the kit lens, and a consumer-grade zoom (the 55-200), any money you may spend in the near future can be better spent on more glass. Nikon makes a wonderful 17-55 f/2.8. Also, the 70-200 f/2.8 is a must-have in the Nikon line. You have the 50 f/1.4- and you surely have seen the difference in the quality coming out of the zooms you have in comparison with your prime. Getting a D300, or even worse, a Canon is just getting a nice toy, but will not improve your image quality, or picture-taking abilities.
  • EileronEileron Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Good plan - how many of those lenses with better glass (I typically make the amateurish assumption that lower f/stops make better glass) are outside of the DX range? or are they all? Besides every lens ever made for film cameras, I mean. I started digital, so I don't know much about the region of film cameras.

Since I try to conserve money, and will probably be in medical school in a year (a long, money starved road), I'm trying to plan a bit for the future. The Tokina was going to be my last DX-only lens, but granted I've been running on assumptions.

Avoid DX? Or embrace it?

I forgot to mention the 18-135 D80 kit lens, but I plan on selling that.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Eileron wrote:
    Good plan - how many of those lenses with better glass (I typically make the amateurish assumption that lower f/stops make better glass) are outside of the DX range? or are they all? Besides every lens ever made for film cameras, I mean. I started digital, so I don't know much about the region of film cameras.

Since I try to conserve money, and will probably be in medical school in a year (a long, money starved road), I'm trying to plan a bit for the future. The Tokina was going to be my last DX-only lens, but granted I've been running on assumptions.

Avoid DX? Or embrace it?

I forgot to mention the 18-135 D80 kit lens, but I plan on selling that.

It looks like things are moving towards full frame eventually but I can't see them going completely that way for a few years. My main question is to you, why do you need a D300? what are the features, making you interested in it?
    edited June 22, 2008
    It looks like things are moving towards full frame eventually but I can't see them going completely that way for a few years. My main question is to you, why do you need a D300? what are the features, making you interested in it?

Mostly IQ improvements, most especially in the metering, which I'm told and have read are significant over the D200, and thereby significant over the D80.

But alternatively I could:

1) Start shooting RAW on the D80
    2) Learn to incorporate some measure of post-processing - and thereby largelyeliminate the primary reasons I started looking at the D300, metering/white balance/highlights/etc.
    3) Focus more on exposure comp. with each shot (like I should be doing anyway), as well as adding in fill-flash and the like to reduce the times I would blow highlights or get discoloration

Basically pushing my time towards learning instead of compensating with a new body. Though it brings up a whole bag of tricks in which post-production implement to use (I'm leaning towards Aperture at the moment).
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    It doesn't really sound like you need the D300 at all You just need more time behind the viewfinder. Especially if money is a concern I can't see a reason for you to get it. Yes, those features will help you but you don't need them, as you mentioned about the d80 images there are a bunch of things you could do to improve them to the level you want. And the benefit of this is when you get a camera like a D300 you will be able to make images that much better combining both the increased abilities of that camera with your own.

I'm probably very biased about this now, since all my photography has gone from SLRs to a Nikon point-and-shoot S600. Once you learn the fundamental principles about photograpy though You can trick a camera with less features to create the images you want.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    I would get better glass. Something to consider would be the Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF. You can get it used for around $500 and new is around $800-900. It doesn't have VR, but the IQ is about the same as the 70-200.

I just think you will be better off getting glass and then upgrading. In a couple of years, the D300 will be cheaper like the D200 is now. Good glass doesn't depreciate like camera do.

Another thing to consider is getting the program called DXO. You can use a trial to see if it fits your needs. What it does is bring out detail in underexposed areas without blowing out highlights. It also corrects inherent flaws in the camera and lenses so it corrects noise and distortion issues automatically. The reason I bring this up is because the D300 does some of this in camera, but you can get some of the benefits with a program like DXO. It would be cheaper than getting a new camera. I have been using the program for a year and it also has more features like saturation, curves, etc that can be set and run in a batch process. I really like the program.

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/dxo_optics_pro
  • yes-picturesyes-pictures Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 27, 2008
    would go for the D300 if you need high ISO
    Hello, I see your dilemna and it is worth thinking about it seriously...

From my side, being a user of the D300 (previously D70 then D200), I must say I just love this camera.

For me, one of the most interesting features is the CMOS sensor and it's low noise at high ISO. This makes the biggest difference if you really need the extra light (concerts, indoor sports, portraits in low light, danse performances,...). Also, it seems that I can use longer shutter speed than the D200 without blurred image (I don't know why really).

Of course, the huge viewfinder and huge screen are also a big advantage.

On the other hand, as someon suggested, a really good lens like the 17-55 2.8 or (for my tastes) the 85 1.4 makes a huge difference. The 70-200 2.8 is also supposed to be excellent.

So, it's really up to you, I think in both cases, it would be pretty exciting and give you again the full motivation!

Oh, a last option: some good lighting for starting studio-type of shoots: my advice is the Elinchrom Portalite, afordable, good quality and easy to transport!

If you want to check the picsc with the D300, 18-70, 85 and studio light, you can check my smugmug gallery:
    www.yes-pictures.com

If you have any question and if I can be of any help, don't hesitate :)
    edited June 29, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    I would get better glass. Something to consider would be the Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF. You can get it used for around $500 and new is around $800-900. It doesn't have VR, but the IQ is about the same as the 70-200.

I just think you will be better off getting glass and then upgrading. In a couple of years, the D300 will be cheaper like the D200 is now. Good glass doesn't depreciate like camera do.

Another thing to consider is getting the program called DXO. You can use a trial to see if it fits your needs. What it does is bring out detail in underexposed areas without blowing out highlights. It also corrects inherent flaws in the camera and lenses so it corrects noise and distortion issues automatically. The reason I bring this up is because the D300 does some of this in camera, but you can get some of the benefits with a program like DXO. It would be cheaper than getting a new camera. I have been using the program for a year and it also has more features like saturation, curves, etc that can be set and run in a batch process. I really like the program.

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/dxo_optics_pro

I've actually entered that debate recently - I have a trial of Aperture I'm playing with now, and debating trying out Lightroom later. I have to get over my Apple fanboyism.

Just got a Tokina DX Wide-angle, so I'll be sticking with DX-frame for awhile. I don't have enough money to absorb buying most of a full-frame kit, and once full frame starts to become more the norm, all the expensive DX lenses will probably drop in price...
  • Red JRed J Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    Congrats on the Tokina. I've been looking at that lens for a little while now and want one pretty bad.

IMO, stay with your D80. I made the jump last year from D80 to D200 and I underestimated the amount of learning curve to the new camera. If I had it to do over again, I would have stayed with the D80 and spent the time I invested in the camera in myself. I'd have furthered my talent.

If I'm not mistaken, you're talking about a thousand dollars of difference to sell your D80 and buy a D300. Probably even worse if you sell the D80+grip and need to buy a D300+grip.

For me, that would be a 17-55mm 2.8, or a 105VR plus a SB800, or a 300 F4 or any number of other options. But it wouldn't be a D300.
    edited June 30, 2008
    Red J wrote:
    Congrats on the Tokina. I've been looking at that lens for a little while now and want one pretty bad.

IMO, stay with your D80. I made the jump last year from D80 to D200 and I underestimated the amount of learning curve to the new camera. If I had it to do over again, I would have stayed with the D80 and spent the time I invested in the camera in myself. I'd have furthered my talent.

If I'm not mistaken, you're talking about a thousand dollars of difference to sell your D80 and buy a D300. Probably even worse if you sell the D80+grip and need to buy a D300+grip.

For me, that would be a 17-55mm 2.8, or a 105VR plus a SB800, or a 300 F4 or any number of other options. But it wouldn't be a D300.

I would say definitely go for the Tokina. It hasn't disappointed me yet. I don't think it's as sharp as my 50mm f/1.4, but the fact that I do find it comparable says something about the lens.

It's popular here in Japan as well (I'm here for about 10 weeks) - I managed to buy the last one I could find in Kyoto, which was actually a display model (which I'm hoping won't come back to bite me).

I'm currently leaning towards putting any money I find towards either Lightroom/Aperture (leaning towards Lightroom, as it's 99$ on discount), and probably a nice monitor to actually make all this worthwhile.

Thanks for the advice though.