Options

How to enable color management in Firefox 3

Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
edited June 22, 2008 in Finishing School
I thought I'd post this. The new Firefox 3 now has color
management support, but it is not activated by default,
here is how you can enable it:

http://lightroom-news.com/2008/06/22/seeing-lightroom-colour-better-online/
“To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
― Edward Weston

Comments

• Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    You can also download the firefox color-management GUI addon (click here).

I'm not completely happy with their color management. It skews colors that aren't part of image files. Safari got it right, FF3 needs work.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    You can also download the firefox color-management GUI addon (click here).

I'm not completely happy with their color management. It skews colors that aren't part of image files. Safari got it right, FF3 needs work.

What do you mean? And why do you need a plugin to do sth that you can do in 1 minute?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    What do you mean? And why do you need a plugin to do sth that you can do in 1 minute?

The add-on lets you toggle color management on/off by checking a box, and it lets you specify a color profile through a small menu. No biggie, just easier for some people.

Here's the deal with the color management in FF3 - this is on a PC, maybe the MAC version is different: If you have a webpage with graphics and colors that are not images - that includes text, horizontal rules, boxes, borders, backgrounds, really anything with an RGB color assigned to it that isn't an image - those colors will be skewed from what they should be. Images are displayed properly though.

I thought it might have been a problem with my calibration but I tried it on different machines, and then compared it against Safari. Safari color manages images perfectly - and it leaves the normal colors of the websites alone. Maybe I'm missing something, but the way Safari works seems to be the way it should be.

Here are some examples, both screen-shots are sRGB but there should be a noticeable shift no matter what browser they're viewed in.

FF3 is on the left with color management off, Safari is on the right
    317596740_MmSfK-L.jpg

FF3 is on the left with color management on, Safari is on the right
    317596799_ksbSm-L.jpg

The link to the test page is http://www.aerog.com/color.

The two test images are in sRGB (top) and Adobe-1998 (bottom). With color management on they should both look very close to the same. That's pretty obvious on Safari and FF3 with cm-ON.

Notice the shift in the color bars at the bottom, and the blue frame around the images in FF3? That's the quirk I'm talking about. Sometimes it's annoying, sometimes it isn't a big deal, but it's there.