Options

Advice/suggestion re: camera carrying

lightyearlightyear Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
edited June 23, 2008 in Accessories
I need help from someone who has solved this problem: When carrying (around my neck)my D200 w/large diamaeter (Nikon 24-120 VR: 72 mm diameter filter)lens attached, the lens is too wide to fit through a separate Optech chest strap that has the central hole for the lens. The Optech strap is designed to keep the camera close to your body and not let it swing, when you are very active(climbing, running, etc.)and still permit you to rapidly free the camera for shooting when you wish. The optech chest staps just goes around my chest, with a nylon strap with the central neoprene cutout maintaining elasticity. Cutting the hole bigger severely weakens the Optech Neoprene, and there is only the one model - which fits 52-62 mmfilter diameter lenses well. There may be some accessory, or method, that someone know of, since Optech couldn't help. Ideas welcome. Thanks.
Stan

Comments

• Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    I have the Optech unit
    It seems like If you enlarge the lens hole, there would still be enough material to keep the camera/lens close to your body. If there is not enough material, simply either reinforce it with another layer of neoprene (glue or sew) or make a totally new and larger support with a larger hole and sew that to the optech strap that goes around your body.

If there is a dive shop in your area, they might be able to fabricate a new unit for you.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Have you tried putting the OPtech strap on BEFORE you mount the lens? Chances are the lens isnt that large where it connects to the camera mount, but is much larger at the front element. Simply take the lens off the camera, slide the back of the lens thru the strap hole, and attach to the camera.