Photos of Estonia. Heavy post-processing..

KrompskontKrompskont Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited July 22, 2008 in Landscapes
317859807_EBwUB-L.png
Forest near the former Soviet military test site.

317862176_x35tv-L.png
The picture was taken at the former Soviet military test site (during Soviet occupation 1944-1991.) Landscape is completely different from normal Estonian landscape, it's almost like a desert except for a few hills (like this photo) with some lonesome trees here and there.

317865233_ewXkj-L.png

317867982_egTLo-L.png
Bunch of dandelions seen through the eyes of someone who's on an LSD trip.. Much like most of my works, really. :D

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    I really like your treatment of these subjects......the 1st photo left wanting something more...... but the others were very good......the 2nd reminded me a little of a place called potatoe hill near Ft Chaffey Arkansas USA, nothing grew there for years cause it was where the u.s. military practiced shooting very large artillery and dropped a few bombs in practice.........

THANX for sharing.......I do like you acidy trippy treatments......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• KrompskontKrompskont Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 22, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    I really like your treatment of these subjects......the 1st photo left wanting something more...... but the others were very good......the 2nd reminded me a little of a place called potatoe hill near Ft Chaffey Arkansas USA, nothing grew there for years cause it was where the u.s. military practiced shooting very large artillery and dropped a few bombs in practice.........

THANX for sharing.......I do like you acidy trippy treatments......

Thanks. As far as I know the test site was meant for testing a nuclear bomb, I'm not sure what came out of it, though. It's a really cool and interesting place to shoot.. shiny metallic things on the ground. :D Actually, there's nothing dangerous there anymore because all the military enthusiasts and current government has cleaned it up. My dad hoped to find a few bomb shells and stuff but he had no such luck (Thank God, otherwise I don't think I would be typing here..)
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Krompskont wrote:
    Forest near the former Soviet military test site.

:D

I really like #2 and #3... very good processing and gives it a surreal effect... Well done...

Cheers,
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    #2 feels right out of a sublime war movie. I love it! clap.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Very cool! I like how it looks like you've taken night shots and done some great light painting. Welcome to Dgrin and I hope to see more of your work! thumb.gif
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    I feel like I just stepped through the looking glass. The last one is super trippy. It looks like you're in a room where all these flowers happened to grow.
    There should be a white rabbits in them somewhere.:D The third one has a rainbow. All very pretty.
  • swapchswapch Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    These are really excellent pics.Can you please share the workflow of the post-processing done on these images?

Thanks & Regards
    Canon Rebel xTi | Canon 50mm 1.8 II | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Manfrotto/BOGEN 190 XDB w/486RC2 Ballhead | Hitech ND & Grad ND | Hoya CPL & UV Filters
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Fantastic series. The post processing pushes these from photography to digital art!!! I really love the second one. I'd also be curious as to what you've done in post to get the look of some of these.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Very good -- hope you share your pp with us :D
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    The horizontal line in the top third of #4 is a bother to me. Very creative processing!
  • DVDMDVDM Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Great post-processing. It helps to create that dismal mood in photos =) Wish I can see original shots nod.gif
  • JermbubbaJermbubba Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    DVDM wrote:
    Great post-processing. It helps to create that dismal mood in photos =) Wish I can see original shots nod.gif

agreed! Id also love to see an original to post proc. comparison, and a your workflow? ! I absolutley love the 2nd!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    I really like #2! The post processing on that was really well done. thumb.gif

Where was the military base? I recall there being one just north of Pärnu because in the Soviet days tourists who traveled there from Tallinn had to detour around it.
    edited June 25, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    I really like #2! The post processing on that was really well done. thumb.gif

Where was the military base? I recall there being one just north of Pärnu because in the Soviet days tourists who traveled there from Tallinn had to detour around it.
    Ooh, you've been to Estonia! That's awesome. It is a place called Aegviidu, in Harju County.

It's pretty hard to describe the post-processing process because I generally start with one idea, but end up doing something completely different, so it's quite spontaneous. Only picture that I did exactly the way I had planned, was the second one (my own favorite, and seems like everyone else's as well. Which probably means I need to stick to my original ideas, hehe. :D)

Ugly original photos:

forsgrin1qu0.jpg
    It's the second one. I changed the color to brown, did some vignetting and then overlayed a picture of sand and pebbles to create the texture. I did some painting on the picture, to create a bit more metallic effect on the grass.

fordgrin2ik7.jpg
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    WOW! That post processing positively saved those photos. clap.gif Thanks for posting the originals.

(Minu vanemad on Eestist pärit. Ise olen Ühendriikides sündinud. mwink.gif )
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    These are great! I would never be able to conceive of those effects let alone execute them after conception!
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    bowdown.gif
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
    edited July 22, 2008
    Thank you for the lovely comments. :)