Would love some feedback on this picture.

erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited June 22, 2008 in People
Hello all, This is my first thread ever! I have been doing some photography for a few years now and have just thought about getting serious. Please let me know what you think of this picture posted. Feel free to be honest so I may find out if I'm kidding myself or not. Thanks for your time. Please note that the actual print is not as grainy as it appears on the screen... I just have not mastered the fine art of uploading! Please judge on composition and light and such

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    I think the light is good. The additional processing with blur distracts. The composition of having her towards the left side of frame looking on is good. The fact that most of her face is away from the viewer is not really desirable and doesn't quite tell a story....other than it looks like a candid with over processing.

Had you captured more of her face and eyes I think the shot would be more appealing. One thing to remember is get those eyes in focus...really important unless deliberately trying to covey a particular mood. Often times we'll see out of focus eyes and very in focus shirts or blouses. Photos of people are usually about the people so we want the viewer to feel as they could know them, or relate to what they are feeling...whether through facial expressions, eyes, body mannerisms (captured at one moment), etc.

With more shots...you'll start to see the things that really grab you..that say something to a viewer....especially the portraits.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    thank you for your honesty!
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Nice shots. Hope Swartzy's words are not discouraging. He is a great shooter and will shoot straight with you and help you shoot better. He has helped me a LOT.

I like the added blur in post. I like the composition--approximating the rule of thirds. I like the angle of her body. I like the look on her face. I like the soft lighting. The color balance looks good--skin tones are skin tone-ish! I like how the background is way out of focus.

the main thing to my eye that is not quite perfect is the focus on her face. it may be a function of you gear. I remeber when I got my first Rebel and got the cheap 70 - 300 lens for $200 from best buy. What a bargain, I thought. The more I go down this road, the more I hate that glass. You just can't get a sharp picture with it. You may can do better with the glass you have. That looks like a long lens. a rule of thumb is the shutter speed shouldn't drop below the focal length. In other words, if it is a 300mm lens, try to keep the shutter speed above 1/300, or use a tripod.

Anyway, welcome to Dgrin. It is a great place. These folks will really help you shoot better pictures.