Canon EF 70-200mm: f/2.8 or f/4?

jessesteinenjessesteinen Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited June 24, 2008 in Cameras
Hi,

After lurking here for some time, reading all posts and getting infected with the 70-200 2.8 madness here :) I've decided to shell out the dough and give it a go as well. I'm just not sure whether to buy the f/2.8 or the f/4 plus an 85mm prime.

Might be helpful to tell you what I like to shoot first: concert photography, landscapes/architecture/wildlife. I don't foresee doing any portrait or sports/action photography at all.

I currently own a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (great for concert photography although its range sometimes falls a bit short) and a Sigma 50mm macro.

So the trade off as far as I see it is:
Canon 70-200 f/4 IS USM + Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 prime
Will set me back about €1200, but is more versatile I think and about same-ish to carry around (1 heavy lens vs 2 lighter ones).
Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM
About the same price, no need to switch lenses but schlepping around all the weight on the body all the time.

Keep in mind that I -may- be switching to a 5D body in the, unfortunately not so very near, future. Don't know if that would have any influence.

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Thanks, Jesse

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    OK, the desire to photograph concerts is the key - I am thinking you need the fastest glass you can get - the f/4 may not cover the bill on this. For this reason, I would suggest the f/2.8.
  • JH-PhotoJH-Photo Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Dear photo-friend,

I use the 70-200mm f=2,8
    and I also have the 50mm 1,8 and 85mm 1,8 and in the past i have had the 70-200 f=4 and 85mm f=1,2

Personally I like at most the 70-200 f=2,8.

The way of using is much more easy. The blur is much more nice if I compare the 85 1,8 with the 85mm 1,2...

also the focus is faster.

I would suggest you to buy the 70-200 f = 2,8 and also the 50mm f = 1,4

So you have all important lenses. Maybe one 17 - 85 mm for traveling :-)

Best regards
    JH
    Thanks for your quick replies. Please keep in mind that I already have the 30mm f/1.4 for stage photography and I would only buy the 85mm f/1.2 for close up shots on stage. The 70-200 with its f/2.8 would not be bright enough I fear so I don't expect to be using the 70-200 for that anyway. So the question is rather: excluding stage photography, should I get the f/2.8 or f/4?

Some prices I found:
    70-200 f/4 non IS: €400 (used, 6mo old)
    70-200 f/4 IS: €900
    70-200 f/2.8 non IS: new €1000 or used for €650
    70-200 f/2.8 IS: new €1300

Especially with the 2.8 used for €650 I'm thinking really hard how much IS can be worth to me.

Thanks, Jesse
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 23, 2008
    Jesse,

First, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I have the Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM and the Canon EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM.

I use the f2.8 for night and low-light (indoor) events and the f4 IS is for travel and daylight situations.

They both share rapid and accurate autofocus and good sharpness wide open with the sharpest setting around f5.6.

If you need to use the lens indoors or at night get the f2.8 version, either IS or not depending on the subject matter.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Concerts would push you to the f2.8 variant. I have no trouble using mine on my 20D--just don't be afraid of ISO 3200. I have the non-IS version and after having used rented & borrowed IS versions for a year I don't miss it. Excluding the low-light needs, the f4 version is half the price, lighter and test results show it's a hair sharper.
  • jessesteinenjessesteinen Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 23, 2008
    Considering that I would use the 70-200 in low-light only occasionally, I think I've made my mind up and will go for the f/4 and buy an extra 85mm f/1.8 to use together with the 30mm f/1.4 for stage photos. f/2.8 might not be enough for me as on my 400D body, I cannot go beyond ISO800 without getting too much noise.

Only €400 for the used f/4 will leave some dough for other stuff I still need to buy (flash, tripod).

Thanks all, I'm off to pick up the f/4 tonight :)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 23, 2008
    .. on my 400D body, I cannot go beyond ISO800 without getting too much noise.

Jesse,

If you shoot RAW and process carefully, ISO 1600 should be usable in most cases.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    If you are debating which to get, you probably have the money/disire for the best. I like the 2.8 because I have the option of using the 2xTC with it and still retain autofocus. The 2.8 IS is nice but have no need for the IS because my shutter speeds are usually too fast to matter, plus it is very heavy and I don't need to carry around extra dead weight.

Of course, that is just my opinion. I think that is what you were asking for though, opinions.

My advise is to go for the 2.8 non-IS. If you find you really need IS you can resell it in a month or two and still get most of your money back (cheaper than renting at least).

:D
    ~ Lisa
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    If you are debating which to get, you probably have the money/disire for the best. I like the 2.8 because I have the option of using the 2xTC with it and still retain autofocus. The 2.8 IS is nice but have no need for the IS because my shutter speeds are usually too fast to matter, plus it is very heavy and I don't need to carry around extra dead weight.

Of course, that is just my opinion. I think that is what you were asking for though, opinions.

My advise is to go for the 2.8 non-IS. If you find you really need IS you can resell it in a month or two and still get most of your money back (cheaper than renting at least).

:D
    Yeah...I have to agree. I own the 2.8 IS and love it...and use for concerts all the time (both from the audience balconies and the wings) and find I can get away with ISOs of 1000-1600 and still keep the images sharp.

BUt I have to stress that I agree with the non-IS comment. People tend to forget the IS does nothing to help stop the movement in front of you. Ballerinas will be blurry, IS or not, unless you're shooting fast enough to stop them. If you're thinking about a monopod, you can save money and weight by going non-IS.

As for the 85 1.2 - it's a portrait lens...and one of the most beautiful ones I've had the pleasure of lugging around...but man is that thing heavy (and slow focusing).

- Gary.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Jesse,

If you shoot RAW and process carefully, ISO 1600 should be usable in most cases.
    Especially if you use something like Noise Ninja or Neat Image (?) to reduce the noise a touch.

Or, you can shoot 1600 or 3200 and work it up B&W - make it gritty and cool!
    edited June 23, 2008
    Or, you can shoot 1600 or 3200 and work it up B&W - make it gritty and cool!

That's what I usually do to cover up the grainy shots :)

Decided to go for the f/4 and get an 85mm prime later, not entirely unrelated to the price I got it for (around €400). Now the sun needs to start shining for some nice piccies.

Thx everyone!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    I have a perfect 70-200 F/4 non IS and would prefer the IS. If you would like to purchase my lens give me a PM and we can talk. :D
    edited June 24, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    I have a perfect 70-200 F/4 non IS and would prefer the IS. If you would like to purchase my lens give me a PM and we can talk. :D

I picked mine up yesterday evening, two would be a bit overkill now wouldn't it? ;)
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Good choice. I own the 70-200/2.8 L and it is very heavy
    and bulky if you carry it for longer times. f2.8 is also too
    slow for some concerts. I wished I had the f4 as well thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    How could f4 be better than f2.8 at a concert when IS doesn't stop motion?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    How could f4 be better than f2.8 at a concert when IS doesn't stop motion?
    Thats when he's going to use the 85/1.8 ... 11doh.gif:D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston