Options

Question about fast flash sync on Nikon SB-800

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited June 23, 2008 in Technique
HI everyone, picked up my SB-800 last week and have been playing around with it a bit - it's a great bit of kit :D

One question though - I turned fast synch on (FP in the custom settings) but then notice that it will just match whatever setting the camera is going for - e.g. 1/4s f5.6 in a dark room.

I was assuming (but assume makes an ass out of u and me - from Advrider) that the camera would still go for the lowest shutter speed set before it bumps up the ISO which is 1/30th I think.

Obviously I can just turn off the fast synch (FP) and then it will default to 1/60th but was kind of hoping there would be a way I could have 1/60th minimum but for it also to synch up to 1/500th if I wanted some fill flash wihtout having to go through the custom function menu....

Thanks for any tips

Cheers
Jase

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 23, 2008
    Jason,
    I suspect it depends on what mode the camera is set to as well. I know it does in Canon land.

So - tell me - what caused you to abandon ship with Canon and go to the dark side? Is the D80 that good? The D3 I might understand:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Jason,
    I suspect it depends on what mode the camera is set to as well. I know it does in Canon land.

I was in P(rogram) mode - so not full Auto - but quite close - I was just playing around with it. I did play with it in S(hutter) mode but didn't have enough time for any particularly good comparisons / investigation
    pathfinder wrote:
    So - tell me - what caused you to abandon ship with Canon and go to the dark side? Is the D80 that good? The D3 I might understand:D

Well I looked at a Canon 30D as I had a 380EX and some glass (Sigma 28-70 f2.8 and Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and 50mm f1.8 and some other stuff) but... 1.6X zoom factor and... I didn't want to carry a backpack full of gear anymore

My back can't take it and with 2 kids I'm carrying a lot of other stuff wherever we go too

So I my requirements were 1 lens system with good quality and image stabilisation

So I decided on a 18-200mm lens and therefore it was between a Canon 30D with well no Canon 18-200mm lens so a Sigma but it was f3.5-6.3

The Nikon D80 did all the things I wanted too - had a 1.5X zoom factor and Nikon made a nice 18-200mm VR lens f3.5-f5.6

and the Nikon combo was several hundred bucks cheaper so that swung it too

and honestly I miss some things about the Canon but otherwise I've been extremely happy with the Nikon and yes... a D300 would be nice

but I don't need it at the moment (repeat as often as necessary each day mwink.gif )

Seriously I'm an opportunistic photographer as I'm always out and about with my wife and 2 kids so no time to get out and just do my thing - so I don't need anything more at the moment

when my photos get that much better then maybe :)

Cheers, Jase