Options

The new autocolor

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited April 15, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Onethumb rolled out new features this morning and perhaps the most significant is autocolor.

It's caused a six-month brain drain here as we tested, tweaked, & analyzed.

The bottom line is you'll have to be good to out-adjust auto adjust. It is nothing like the lame autoadjust routines you see in Photoshop.

It's based on i2e and the heart of the system is sensing pixels that contain memory colors: skin, sky, or grass/green leaves — the areas we use to judge whether the colors in an image are believable.

There's a terrible dilemma with digital photography: many of us used saturated films like Fuji Velvia for landscapes where we wanted rich colors, but we used other films like Kodak Portra for weddings because we knew oversaturated skin makes people look nuclear.

In digital, it's not so easy to choose a different look for the occassion.

We set i2e a little low on saturation because skin tones are what generate returns, but not as low as Ofoto goes. And i2e lets us retain vibrant non-skin colors.

We've tested it on hundreds of prints over months and I've never seen it wreck a print. I have used it to process 90% of our returns in the last 4 months and no prints have been returned that were processed with it. Some were critical 20x24 prints of brides for the mantle.

Disclaimer: I sometimes tweaked the settings of i2e for those special cases, which you can't do from the shopping cart.

We continually compared our output to a dozen labs and found the one we couldn't beat was Photoworks in Seattle. They're an i2e lab whose VP of Engineering is the former VP of Engineering for Adobe, who oversaw color management for Photoshop. We feel we are their equal, however, depending on the shot.

But all this talk is just smack until we see what it does to our return rate.

For those who want to know more about the technology:

http://www.express-imaging.com/products/i2e.htm

The bottom line is if you have the time and skill to produce excellent adjustments, choose true color. Autocolor will take good prints and make them good, mediocre prints and make them good, bad prints and make them less bad. But it can't make great prints.

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 15, 2005
    I noticed some information on this and the link to some background on it in a another thread. You sure spent a lot of time and effort on this baby. It does look like a sophisticated system and I will give it test drive soon. This new color correction thingie should be a smash hit with many smuggers.

Happy shooting.

-don
  • Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    What will it do to pictures that intentionally have really odd color balance - I'm thinking specifically of some pictures I took for a friend's drumming concert under really red lighting?
    19616690-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    bkriete wrote:
    What will it do to pictures that intentionally have really odd color balance - I'm thinking specifically of some pictures I took for a friend's drumming concert under really red lighting?
    19616690-M.jpg
    I plan to turn it off on my pics under concert lighting conditions. I don't see any other way to keep the lighting effects accurate on a case like this without doing so. The sytem would have to guess, I guess. Go ahead and put one through the test and see what happens.

-don
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    Great news!
    Thank you for all the work - and for detailed info!thumb.gif
    I'm looking forward to make a good use if this system!
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    Is this new autocolor (based on i2e) also used for the "color effects" in the photo tools option? I'd love to see a preview of what corrections would be applied to certain images. I noticed that the "tanning salon" option is still present in the photo tools area so I'm guessing that the "Auto Color Corrected" option uses the old algorithms for correction? Just wondering. Thanks for all the hard work!
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 15, 2005
    thanks baldy - this is a truly awesome upgrade. I don't claim to be the best, but I think I do a good enough job getting colors right. So it seems that this way, people can't screw it up by ordering tanning salon or one the other minor corrections that no longer exist. Auto will give them your good version, and true will give them my good version.

thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    No, the color options in the photo tools are still using the previous color tweaks that we can produce locally on our servers. i2e adjustments can only be made once they are on EZPrints servers. On one of the new help pages it mentions that the old tools still use our auto adjust.
    CSwinton wrote:
    Is this new autocolor (based on i2e) also used for the "color effects" in the photo tools option? I'd love to see a preview of what corrections would be applied to certain images. I noticed that the "tanning salon" option is still present in the photo tools area so I'm guessing that the "Auto Color Corrected" option uses the old algorithms for correction? Just wondering. Thanks for all the hard work!
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    So, no i2e preview?:-(
    {JT} wrote:
    No, the color options in the photo tools are still using the previous color tweaks that we can produce locally on our servers. i2e adjustments can only be made once they are on EZPrints servers. On one of the new help pages it mentions that the old tools still use our auto adjust.
    No way to see what it would do? :cry I was naively thinking Auto Color Correction in photo tools is the new guy.. I guess, I was wrong..headscratch.gif
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    The new auto color is specifically when you order prints in the cart.
    Nikolai wrote:
    No way to see what it would do? :cry I was naively thinking Auto Color Correction in photo tools is the new guy.. I guess, I was wrong..headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I feel your pain and would love to see it run on our servers, but we decided it was too big a chunk to bite off currently.

The issue is we use Linux servers and so far their libraries have only been used in a Windows environment. We'd have to do recompiling, testing, debugging, etc. And then there's the issue of licensing costs, which EZ Prints had to pay the way we do it now.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    bkriete wrote:
    19616690-M.jpg
    Here's the i2e version:

19724822-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Thank you for the clarification!
    Baldy wrote:
    I feel your pain and would love to see it run on our servers, but we decided it was too big a chunk to bite off currently.

The issue is we use Linux servers and so far their libraries have only been used in a Windows environment. We'd have to do recompiling, testing, debugging, etc. And then there's the issue of licensing costs, which EZ Prints had to pay the way we do it now.
    I understand... Baby steps is "da approach" if you deal with hundreds of thousands of live customers:-)
    Love the new stuff, thanks again!
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    Is it possible for users (us - i.e. smugmug customers) to use the i2e plugin in Photoshop with smugmug's settings to see what AutoCorrect will do to our images?

If we used the i2e plugin in Photoshop to output a corrected file, would we then set our smugmug galleries to True Color?

Might as well ask this too... should we bother trying to make any corrections in Photoshop at all anymore, especially if we're confused about the process anyway, and/or we know our monitors are not properly calibrated?
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Here's the i2e version:

19724822-M.jpg
    Baldy, i2e did a pretty nice job here. I have some Clayton Miller pix that are real wild I am bit curious to see what it will do on those. Will check into it when I have more time.

-don
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Is it possible for users (us - i.e. smugmug customers) to use the i2e plugin in Photoshop with smugmug's settings to see what AutoCorrect will do to our images?

If we used the i2e plugin in Photoshop to output a corrected file, would we then set our smugmug galleries to True Color?

Might as well ask this too... should we bother trying to make any corrections in Photoshop at all anymore, especially if we're confused about the process anyway, and/or we know our monitors are not properly calibrated?
    Fascinating question, flyingpylon. I don't use the plugin but you've prompted me to try it. I use the image editor version 2.2, which is just so much faster than using Photoshop. It has a free trial and it's cheap if you don't correct too many images/day, and not even expensive after than unless you want the ICC profile stuff, which you don't.

I'd be happy to purchase a Photoshop plugin for you to try. And yes, you'd use the true color option after.

I did one experiment with a high-volume pro two months ago, where she bought the image editor and I talked her through the settings. She's been pretty hooked since and I haven't seen any returns from her.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    Thanks for running that pic through, Baldy...Doesn't look bad, in fact if I was *was* trying to color correct that pic, I would say it did a better job than I could do in Elements.