New here...please critique?

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited June 29, 2008 in People
Thanks to all for being here. I have been doing photography for quite some time but never had the opportunity to share many of my pictures with other professionals. These pictures were taken with my new Nikon D300 and my also new 70-200 2.8 VR. Love that expensive lens! Any advice would be appreciated:help
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    I don't know how to do more than one per post so sorry there are a few more!
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited June 23, 2008
    you can probably tell already that I like my photos kinda light :D
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    The second one is super cute!! But.. I am not sure the child likes being on a clothes line! rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Rene`Rene` Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Oh my goodness...
    The first one is my favorite. I'd love to see it black and white.
    Thanks to all for being here. I have been doing photography for quite some time but never had the opportunity to share many of my pictures with other professionals. These pictures were taken with my new Nikon D300 and my also new 70-200 2.8 VR. Love that expensive lens! Any advice would be appreciated:help
    edited June 23, 2008
    Just one more then I will leave you alone...........Thanks in advance for any responses!
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    They are all super cute!!! (Maybe a bit of sharpening on the last one but it might just be that it got a little soft in the resize and upload process --- that happens to me all the time) But #1 is just Delicious!!!!! iloveyou.gifwings.gif
    LadyTX
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    I am in love w/ shot #1... fantastic shots!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif I love number 1. Welcome to Dgrin. It is a super community run by folks who really know what they are doing clap.gif
  • stromhammerstromhammer Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    All are great shots. The first is special. Gotta love those eyes.

David
    To the man who only has a hammer in the tool kit, every problem looks like a nail. -Abraham Malsow-
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    First - Welcome! DGrin is a great place to hang out and share photos and know-how.

15524779-Ti.gif - these are all very special. But I have to say that #1 is my first pick and the #2.

As for posting more than one image in a post - well, if you have them hosted somewhere, you can include as many links to photos in a single post. Here's the instructions on how to get that done.
  • kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    like the first image
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Very nice Sandy. It's clearly evident you have an eye not only for a photo but bring with that a blend of elegant processing and creativity. Nice to have you on board...welcome to Dgrin. It looks like the first shot is the one on your banner (website). Adorable......I actually like the "halo" band which is cropped out here. Mom's gonna love it!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Welcome and wow 2nd is so cool !
    weldone
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • huntjaxhuntjax Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2008
    Love them!
    I also shoot mostly kids. I love the lighting of your pictures. What are you using for lighting? I'm buying a 70-200 this weekend I can't wait. I wasn't even thinking of using for a picture like that. I'm taking indoor volleyball shots for the first time so I want to try it on that.
    www.huntjax.com
    edited June 29, 2008
    huntjax wrote:
    I also shoot mostly kids. I love the lighting of your pictures. What are you using for lighting? I'm buying a 70-200 this weekend I can't wait. I wasn't even thinking of using for a picture like that. I'm taking indoor volleyball shots for the first time so I want to try it on that.
    www.huntjax.com

Thank you for the comments. LIgthing has always been my challenge but am working on getting better. Right now for the inside pictures I have a 18x36 Larson softstrip with a x1600 white lightning strobe in it and some light coming in from a window above the babies. I am getting a 3x4 Larson softbox for my main lighting (waiting impatiently!) because I wanted to have a more square catchlight in the eyes instead of the rectangle I get from the strip.

Outside I use my speedlight with a Gary Fong Cloud dome pointed directly at the baby but dialed down until the flash doesn't look so flashy. I am not one to do existing light because I REALLY like catch lights in the eyes at all times.

I think the lens will be good for volleyball if you anticipate your focus. it can be a little slow on focus sometimes but otherwise wouldn't change it for the world! I have 8 babies to do in the next few days so I will post some when I get the new softbox and we will see the difference.

I also am a Sandy Puc fan and went to her babies and bellies seminar where I learned so much. I bought her studio in a box kit from Larson. Check her out at www.babies-bellies.com.