My Baby's Growing Up!

stromhammerstromhammer Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited June 24, 2008 in People
My little girl is going to be a senior this fall and asked me to do her senior pictures. If she likes the results she will see if any of her friends would like me to do theirs as well.

This shot is from our first outing on Father's Day. Shot with a Canon 20D and Canon 28-135 IS @ f5.6 1/50sec. Canon 580EXll w/ Impact studio umbrella. I also removed some yellow and green in Photoshop Elements 6.0.

Whatcha think?

318718721_dj76V-X2.jpg

Keep in mind that she has no plans on being a super model and would rather be in soccer togs than a prom dress.

Thanks for looking.

David
To the man who only has a hammer in the tool kit, every problem looks like a nail. -Abraham Malsow-

Comments

• ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Lovely shot! I love how soft and angelic the face looks. Great job. Congrats on her last year!
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Very pretty girl! She doesn't look old enough to be a senior.
    LadyTX
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Lovely shot. It looks as it has a bit of magenta hue with yellow cast...might be me. Golly they grow fast don't they? Congrats.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • stromhammerstromhammer Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    It looks as it has a bit of magenta hue with yellow cast...might be me.

Magenta?! Can you have that and not know it?

Actually, thanks for the kind comments. She is an angel (most of the time) and we had a lot of fun with this shoot. I'm still trying to figure out how to process for portraits. I mostly shoot sports and I try to keep the colors a true as possible. But portraits seem to offer more in the way of creativity. The original shot had a lot more yellow and green. I tried removing a little magenta and red but it just didn't look right. This version makes her eyes pop just the right amount I think.
    To the man who only has a hammer in the tool kit, every problem looks like a nail. -Abraham Malsow-
  • KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Magenta?! Can you have that and not know it?

Actually, thanks for the kind comments. She is an angel (most of the time) and we had a lot of fun with this shoot. I'm still trying to figure out how to process for portraits. I mostly shoot sports and I try to keep the colors a true as possible. But portraits seem to offer more in the way of creativity. The original shot had a lot more yellow and green. I tried removing a little magenta and red but it just didn't look right. This version makes her eyes pop just the right amount I think.

I thought I would take a shot at it.... So here it is

318718721_dj76V-X2-2.jpg
    ~Katie~
    :barb

http://www.kc1stphotography.com

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    (quote) I'm still trying to figure out how to process for portraits.

Maybe something like this for processing?

Original

318718721_dj76V-X22.jpg

Trial processing

318718721_dj76V-X2copy2.jpg
    LadyTX
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Sorry, but wanted to put them side by side so the color differences are obvious:

318865207_CFhhB-L.jpg

318865228_LXGR3-L.jpg

Since this is a Jpeg it's a bit more difficult than RAW. The skin tones do absorb the surroundings...green and in the woods. The birch tree is typically white with a bit of green this time of year. Her neck contains a cross between orange and red which is toned down on this version. I hope you don't mind...if so, let me know and I'll pull it down. It's a nice shot.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • photojokphotojok Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 24, 2008
    THis is a great shot.
    edited June 24, 2008
    Swartzy,
    Your version looks good. I like the way her eyes stand out. Please keep it up. I want to try and duplicate what you've done.

Ladytx, KTboom
    You guys have obviously been doing this for a while. I like the way this picture is headed. Thanks for your imput.

David
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    She has a nice head-on/looking straight ahead face for portraits. She would benefit from raising her chin. Her face would gather light more around her eyes and cheeks. Most people look good in a slight turn of the face, she should turn away from objects and let the light catch her jaw.
    I know I'm not offering good photo advice- I've been drawing people for years and it helps to break down the face into shapes. She's sort of backs her head away from the camera, which is natural from shyness or newness to the camera. Her eyes are a bit sleepy. She's got a great neck, perhaps an updo with her hair falling down a bit and looking over her shoulder back at you. She'd look really stunning! Her skin would be happy around soft pinks, greens, and blues. iloveyou.gif
    Does that give you some more portrait ideas for her senior pics?
    Mostly I think she just looks tense. Portraits are fun, you get to play dress up!
    Hope it helps at all!
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    The Technical Side's Been Covered, So . . .
    Her smile looks a tad uncomfortable to me. You've known her all her life and know what makes her laugh and giggle. Do that and then start snapping. rolleyes1.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited June 24, 2008
    She has a nice head-on/looking straight ahead face for portraits. She would benefit from raising her chin. Her face would gather light more around her eyes and cheeks. Most people look good in a slight turn of the face, she should turn away from objects and let the light catch her jaw.
    I know I'm not offering good photo advice- I've been drawing people for years and it helps to break down the face into shapes. She's sort of backs her head away from the camera, which is natural from shyness or newness to the camera. Her eyes are a bit sleepy. She's got a great neck, perhaps an updo with her hair falling down a bit and looking over her shoulder back at you. She'd look really stunning! Her skin would be happy around soft pinks, greens, and blues. iloveyou.gif
    Does that give you some more portrait ideas for her senior pics?
    Mostly I think she just looks tense. Portraits are fun, you get to play dress up!
    Hope it helps at all!

This is good advise. I actually have several shots of her with different head positions. Here's one. This was taken indoors with a black sheet as the background. I did some minor touchup but nothing major, yet.
    More C&C welcome.

319400908_Y7Dtq-XL.jpg