Sigma 10-20mm

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited June 26, 2008 in Cameras
Anyone have any experience with the Sigma 10-20mm? I am looking for a wide angle lens, and it is the most affordable option for the 4/3 system. Just wondering if anyone from any system could comment on this lens. Thanks.

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    I had it for the Canon system and found it to be pretty good.
    Sharpness and CA control is on par with Canon's 10-24. Slightly warmer color and a touch less in contrast though.

It tends to be sharpest around f8. Considering the prices of UWA's, I think it offers a lot for the dough and have no problems recommending it.

I've no experience with the lens for the 4/3 mount though.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    I own this lens as well. I love the wide angle and fast & silent
    focus. Sharp wide open and very sharp at f8. It is also better
    build than the Canon 10-22mm. Besides it takes normal 77mm
    filters (even the thicker polfilters) without vignetting. Highly
    recommended.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Go for it.

Here's some shots I've done with mine (for Canon as well): The on deck shots from the tall ship Götheborg, an astro shot and some sturdy horses.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 24, 2008
    I have the Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM and I find it almost perfect for my needs. I agree that the sweet spot for the lens is f8.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • EJP PhotoEJP Photo Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    It's a good lens - it's a little soft around the edges with some mild distortion at the 10mm end, but that's to be expected. I agree with others, the sweet spot is f/8.

It's also not that great for low light, at least not without a tripod. Further, on my D300 at least, it casts a shadow across the bottom of the frame when I use the built in flash. So you'll need an external flash when you use it.

That said, it's all I could ask for out of a wide angle lens, and I'm very happy with it.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Love it, fun lens. I have no issues with it. Fast focusing, silent HSM motor, very nice on a 1.6 crop, will likely be a bit sharper and slightly less 'fish eye' distortion at 10mm on your 4/3.

here is a gallery with most of the shots done with this lens in paris:

247502416_JDkNj-S-1.jpg

292240649_P48VZ-S.jpg
  • LocLoc Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    I just bought one from Amazon a few weeks ago. It's a great lens for the money. It focuses quickly and quietly and the build is just right. It weighs in at ~1lb and that's probably my only gripe with the lens. I can back up the f/8 comments by others. The corners could be better but it's not so bad that it breaks the deal. You can see my test shots here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/loc_nguyen/2576697958/in/set-72157605600561875/

Those are from the top left corner. There's also two other lenses in that set but they're comparing the Tamron 17-35mm and Canon 17-85mm at 17mm instead. Hope that helps!
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Olympus announced an entry-level Zuiko ED 9-18mm 4.0-5.6 a while back, not sure when it will be available, what it will cost, or how it will perform.
  • SofiagrinnerSofiagrinner Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2008
    Sigmawide
    It's clear most people are happy with this lens and I can only agree. I don't know the 4/3 system. I use this lens on my Canon 450D. It's my only none standard 35mm lens and I'm very happy with the performance. Especially I like the very quick and quiet focussing and it comes with a lens hood. There seems no competition for the price. When I get round to it I'm planning to write a more comprehensive account with photos on my site. It's a good lens
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone! I am going to go for it! I need a wide angle lens now, because I am getting more real estate photo jobs lately - so waiting for the new Zuiko isn't going to work.
    I will let you all know how it goes!