Options

Posting screenshots

OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
edited June 24, 2008 in Dgrin Forum Support
I see them everywhere - and I love them! Screenshots are so great in communication stuff.

But the way I know how to get them onto a forum post is a pain. Makes me wonder - is this how everyone does it or am I missing something here?

First - I am on my Mac OS.

1. Take my screenshot (using the "Grab" application)
2. Save the screenshot to some temp folder or desktop
3. Upload screenshot to a hidden smugmug gallery already set up for this kind of stuff.
4. Wait
5. Click on the "share" button and select my size (usually medium or large)
6. Paste in the forum.
7. Delete photo from temp location on HD
8. But never delete the photo from my smugmug site lest the image will vanish from dgrin.

Am I just lazy or does this seem like a lot of time and effort? There must be a better way!

Lo and behold I just came accross this - smug_screenshots
Looks cool. Except I can't follow the instructions. :scratch What am I supposed to write when it says "MUG_APIKEY=YOUR_API_KEY_HERE" What's my API Key?

Anyways, I'm thinking a tutorial could be written for this. Gosh, I better check that there isn't before I hit the "submitt new thread" button! Nope - just how to post a pic - which is only half the battle.

You think you have a quick way to post a screenshot? Please share!

Thank you

Ryan
Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,204 moderator
    edited June 24, 2008
    Since you already have a Smug account, it isn't hard at all.

upload and look at your photo at your SM site at the resolution you want it displayed on Dgrin. Click it (Windows its a right click - I don't know what it is in MAC???) and copy/paste that full URL into a text editor temporarily.

Place image tags on each end of that full URL... {img}the full URL goes here{/img}

(replace the "{" and the "}" with "[" and "]" )

then past that string into your post. The beauty of hosted images is that you can place many images into a post while attachments limit you to one, and at a lower quality.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Since you already have a Smug account, it isn't hard at all.

upload and look at your photo at your SM site at the resolution you want it displayed on Dgrin. Click it (Windows its a right click - I don't know what it is in MAC???) and copy/paste that full URL into a text editor temporarily.

Place image tags on each end of that full URL... {img}the full URL goes here{/img}

(replace the "{" and the "}" with "[" and "]" )

then past that string into your post. The beauty of hosted images is that you can place many images into a post while attachments limit you to one, and at a lower quality.

wow - all that would actually add to my workflow. Once the photo is in my smugmug gallery then it's very easy to paste the image using the "share" button in the gallery and the "image" button on dgrin.

I'm starting to think that maybe I'm just lazy. eek7.gif
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,204 moderator
    edited June 24, 2008
    Oakley wrote:
    wow - all that would actually add to my workflow. Once the photo is in my smugmug gallery then it's very easy to paste the image using the "share" button in the gallery and the "image" button on dgrin.

I'm starting to think that maybe I'm just lazy. eek7.gif

Yes, with Smug, it's easier. But in general, any hosted image from where ever just needs the image tags wrapped around it.

The reason I like using a text editor is when I'm posting lots of images in one go, I can compose the entire message, place the URL's into it and the image tags around each URL. Then I copy/paste all that into the posting composition textbox.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    BalzaniiBalzanii Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Here you find everything you want to know about posting screnshots from SmugMug
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=62913
    E-500, E-420, Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5,
    Zuiko digital 14-45mm 1:3,5-5,6, Zuiko Digital 35mm F3.5 Macro