Options

Spirals

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited June 25, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I spent Saturday at Cabrillo National Monument close by to home in San Diego. There's an old lighthouse (circa 1830s I believe) with an amazing spiral staircase leading up to the light on the 4th floor.

Unfortunately, someone forgot to take off their circular polarizer when they went inside the lighthouse, so I had some trouble with camera shake without realizing it until I got home... :cry

Anyway, I loved the geometry of the spirals so I'll share the best ones I got...

1) looking up from the first floor
2606173035_74db26a48d.jpg

2) looking down from the top
2606171915_965b6d679c.jpg

Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated... that is aside from take the polarizer off when I go for the reshot! :rofl

Thanks for looking! :D
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    These are nice - they have the whole fractal thing going on here.

Oh, BTW - repeat after me, "I will check the ISO and the shutter speed with each new scene!"
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2008
    These are nice - they have the whole fractal thing going on here.

Oh, BTW - repeat after me, "I will check the ISO and the shutter speed with each new scene!"

I will check the ISO and the shutter speed with each new scene... I will check the ISO and the shutter speed with each new scene... I will check the ISO and the shutter speed with each new scene... I will check the ISO and the shutter speed with each new scene... rolleyes1.gif

Hopefully I'll keep this lesson in mind in the future! Luckily Cabrillo is close enough and nice enough that I would want to go back regardless of "missing" these shots...

Thanks for checking them out, Scott!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    mackidbrendanmackidbrendan Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    i like the second one better, but it seams a little soft to me.

ps: check out this sink
    hightech-washbasin-ammonite.jpg
    clap.gif
    http://www.brendanryder.com

Use coupon code 4MdT6vueeZfpQ to save 5$ on a smugmug account
  • Options
    ArgosArgos Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Cool! I particularly like the first one.

You might also want to toss "Check camera mode" into your mantra. At least, my usual mistake is to leave my camera in manual mode, and then shoot as if it's in program mode. Usually results in a block of 3 or 4 very dark images, which I then have to run back to re-shoot.
    Argos
    Lead dog at Old Dog Photography
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2008
    i like the second one better, but it seams a little soft to me.

ps: check out this sink

clap.gif

Yeah, it was a slower shutter speed than I was expecting... that's pretty much why I posted small-ish versions of the photos... anything larger and the softness becomes REALLY apparent!! eek7.gif

Cool sink! Where in the world did you find that?!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2008
    Argos wrote:
    Cool! I particularly like the first one.

You might also want to toss "Check camera mode" into your mantra. At least, my usual mistake is to leave my camera in manual mode, and then shoot as if it's in program mode. Usually results in a block of 3 or 4 very dark images, which I then have to run back to re-shoot.

Thank you Argos!

I've been really good about it in the past, but I think I just got way too excited when I walked in and saw those awesome spiral stairs!! Sometimes, I swear I'm like a little kid!! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Thank you Argos!

I've been really good about it in the past, but I think I just got way too excited when I walked in and saw those awesome spiral stairs!! Sometimes, I swear I'm like a little kid!! rolleyes1.gif

I know the feeling! :D When I see something great, I, too, tend to forget that the last ones shot were in manual and I shoot a block of photos that are unsavable. :cry

Nice shots, nonetheless. thumb.gif

Love that sink!
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:

Nice shots, nonetheless. thumb.gif

Thank you Lee!! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos