Which macro lens? and close-up lens question

wasiganwasigan Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited June 25, 2008 in Holy Macro
I'm a lurker here - just in awe of the amazing work you all are doing - and that I know I could do eventually with a good macro lens. So for my Canon DSLR Rebel I've narrowed it down to the Canon 100mm macro 2.9 and the Sigma 105mm macro for Canon.

I'd love any feedback on which way I should lean.

Also, I've read that a Close-Up lens is a good start for macro, which I think might be a stretch. But any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks for the inspiring work.

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited June 24, 2008
    HI there, there probably isnt much difference between all the major macros, i use the canon 100mm like many,but loads of people recomend the 90mm tamron. they all fit canon so all will produce great photos.
    the 100mm gives about 5 inch between lens and subject at maximum 1.1 magnification.
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
  • JetCrocodileJetCrocodile Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    As a starting point do not forget poor man's solution ;)
    Do not forget reversing the lens, either directly to the camera body
    (you loose a lot of comfort but learn a lot) or lens coupling.

Regards,

Sven
  • wasiganwasigan Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Thanks Jetcrocodile! But I'm just wondering.....
    Jetcrocodile - I really enjoyed looking at your macro shots (and others) on your SM site. Especially like the night shots! -they are very beautiful. But I'm just wondering......why would you not protect your photos from being stolen or borrowed (the Save Photo button was not disabled). Just an FYI. They seem too beautiful to share for free.

By the way, thank you for the info on reversing - I'm just starting to play with that.

Lori
  • Brian-DBrian-D Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    I don't think many people get to excited about a 72dpi 900px wide photo!
    It wont even print a 4x5 decently! I think most of us are hobbyists so it's not a huge concern. If I made money off my insect shots. You bet they'd be watermarked right acrossed the center regaurdless of size.
    If I catch someone using one of my photos without permission. I'd ask that I be credited or the photo taken down. If both fail, I'd probably put a scare into them. It's just not something I worry about to much personally.

Oh and I think a 100mmish lens is great for someone just getting into macro photography. Brand doesn't matter. Canon, tamron, sigma, tokina all will treat you well. Of course Nikon blow all those out of the water ez.
    lol just kidding. Most you guys are canon I know :D

wasigan wrote:
    Jetcrocodile - I really enjoyed looking at your macro shots (and others) on your SM site. Especially like the night shots! -they are very beautiful. But I'm just wondering......why would you not protect your photos from being stolen or borrowed (the Save Photo button was not disabled). Just an FYI. They seem too beautiful to share for free.

By the way, thank you for the info on reversing - I'm just starting to play with that.

Lori
    edited June 24, 2008
    I don't think many people get to excited about a 72dpi 900px wide photo

Brian,
    Some of Sven's photos are much larger than that and printable. I hate to see anyone's work - hobbyist or not - go unprotected.

Your photos are great - no doubt some of those insect shots would put a scare into anyone contemplating borrowing them!

Lori
    edited June 25, 2008
    Lori,

Honestly I did not study in detail, what Smugmug is offering. Many thanks for advice, perhaps I should take it more seriously and protect my work.

Sven
    edited June 25, 2008
    Sven,
    You work is really nice and it jumped out at me that they were not protected, because someone else on Smugmug recently pointed out to me that mine were not as well. Depending on your level of account with SM, you can add right-click protection and disable "SavePhoto" in each gallery under "Customize Gallery".

I thought I'd return the favor!

Lori
    edited June 25, 2008
    Many thanks Lori,
    I am not sure if my level allows me to eliminate save option completely :cry.
    Anyway if someone will set my photo as a wallpaper I would be happy.
    As to unauthorized usage, uhhh... , let me be optimistic :D.

Thanks again! and Good Luck with macro!

Sven