Options

Problem with Google Map on home Page

Bill_PadorBill_Pador Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited June 24, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hello all, I'm having a problem displaying the Google pin map feature on my home page. I had followed the directions for signing up and creating a map to a "T" so I thought but it is NOT working properly and I have no idea how to fix this.

The Around the World Map "BOX" shows up but it's BLANK with just the navigation arrows and Powered By Google logo visible and a grey screen. I don't remember where I had to put the original code so I'll have to check that as well but I went into my Google account and checked the MY MAPS section, there is a map displayed in my account but when I click the box that says LINK TO THIS PAGE it brings up the code for sending an EMAIL link but then says THIS MAP CAN NOT BE EMBEDDED on the code for embedding.

Maybe I created a map that is not available to be embedded I don't know, but at this point I'm lost as to fixing this. When I go into my customize page and then home page list of features to show on my home page there is no other links or click-able way to CHANGE the code or replace the map I have.

Can someone help me fix this feature please? Even if I have to create a new map and embed the code I'm willing to do that but I have no idea where to start or how to accomplish this. I'd like to see where my page visitors are coming from and also think this is a great way to show present & future clients the interest in my work from around the world.

I'll leave the disabled map on my home page so you can see what I'm talking about www.billpador.com

Thanks so much for any help you can provide me.

Bill Pador
New Jersey Photographer
Professional Photographers Association & National Photoshop Professionals Member
www.billpador.com

Comments

• Options
    phototristanphototristan Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Bill_Pador wrote:
    Hello all, I'm having a problem displaying the Google pin map feature on my home page. I had followed the directions for signing up and creating a map to a "T" so I thought but it is NOT working properly and I have no idea how to fix this.

The Around the World Map "BOX" shows up but it's BLANK with just the navigation arrows and Powered By Google logo visible and a grey screen. I don't remember where I had to put the original code so I'll have to check that as well but I went into my Google account and checked the MY MAPS section, there is a map displayed in my account but when I click the box that says LINK TO THIS PAGE it brings up the code for sending an EMAIL link but then says THIS MAP CAN NOT BE EMBEDDED on the code for embedding.

Maybe I created a map that is not available to be embedded I don't know, but at this point I'm lost as to fixing this. When I go into my customize page and then home page list of features to show on my home page there is no other links or click-able way to CHANGE the code or replace the map I have.

Can someone help me fix this feature please? Even if I have to create a new map and embed the code I'm willing to do that but I have no idea where to start or how to accomplish this. I'd like to see where my page visitors are coming from and also think this is a great way to show present & future clients the interest in my work from around the world.

I'll leave the disabled map on my home page so you can see what I'm talking about www.billpador.com

Thanks so much for any help you can provide me.

Bill Pador

Hi Bill,

In order for the map pins to show up, the images must have geography information and also be public. Since you have now disabled your map, I'm not able to see what the particular issue with yours was. If you would like to re-enable it and then email us at the helpdesk, we'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you!

Cheers,
    Tristan
    Suport Hero
    Smugmug
    http://help.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Bill_PadorBill_Pador Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Hi Tristan, I have NOT disabled the map, it's online on my front page as it appears with the grey background and all. I'm not inquiring about the geography information from individual PHOTOS but the VISTORS to my site (I think it supposed to show the last 150 visitors I believe I read somewhere) I've seen this same map displayed on other members sites and I THOUGHT that they were displaying PRIOR VISTORS and not PHOTO locations BUT am I to understand that I'm incorrect about this and it is displaying PHOTO locations and not VISITORS?

I do however have the Geography settings turned ON in ALL my galleries but I have not entered any GPS data into any of my EXIF tags for any photos. Is this how the map works and it's blank because I haven't entered any of the EXIF GPS info on any of my photos perhaps?

I'm sorry to be so confused now Laughing.gif but if the map only provides info from certain photos via EXIF GPS information then that's why it's not working right? And if so then I'll just turn that feature off and not use it since I do not have a GPS hooked up to my D300 and have no GPS Data linked to any photos.

My page IS Displaying the map "as is" right now if you wanna take a look and see if that's the problem, if there is a way to display VISITORS data (I guess from their ISP info while visiting) that's what I was looking to do, if not then that's fine too.

BTW: What is the Help Desks email address? I'd like to have that for future inquires since I don't have it now to contact you
    Thanks for your assistance
    Bill
    New Jersey Photographer
    Professional Photographers Association & National Photoshop Professionals Member
    www.billpador.com
  • Options
    phototristanphototristan Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Hi again,

Out map feature doesn't track your visitors. However, we do support StatCounter and Google Analytics both which I believe can show you a map of your visitors within their administration control panels.

Here's more information on those:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092684
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092794

I hope this helps.
    Tristan
    Suport Hero
    Smugmug
    http://help.smugmug.com/