316569020_omwBV-L.jpg

#2 The eyes
317078823_HFH24-L.jpg

#3 Elegant grunge

319235197_neC2u-L.jpg

Thanks for looking :lust
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Very nice ..
    The second shot is my favorite !!!clap.gif
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    They are all well done, but #2 rocks! What is that she's leaning on? I'm assuming you did selective blur - it's spot on and I rarely say that! Gorgeous shot
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Thank you WildWally and Andi. Yes, the #2 setting is the favorite from that day for sure. I really did like the loading dock stuff as it was quite different.

Sure thing Andi, used selective focus on this particular photo with additional processing. The thing she is leaning against is....let's see, how to describe...There is an entry way to a large park and waterfront. On both sides of the entry is this sculpture which looks like tree roots. I love the lines and shapes and thought when scoping them out how best to utilize them for a shoot. We had some fabric at the studio and knew exactly what I wanted to do. It took a bit of course to get the right pose, look, wind, flow of the fabric, etc. in place. I have one other that was posted in the Kimberly thread. So glad you like it! :D
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    holy cow, the second one knocks my socks off! The others are great, too, but that one is amazing. Lovely use of color in all. Very nicely lit, as well. thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Nice going David!thumb.gif

I'm glad I'm not the only one with an orange attitude:-) rolleyes1.gif

#2 is my favorite: great cureves, smooths silky dress and flowing chiffon...bowdown.gif

And a grain of salt for ya mwink.gif
    light's falling off her head in #1 concentrating on the body only. Not sure if you meant it... ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    second one looks nicest to me.
    One thing that bothers me is the blue cast though. More of a matter of personal preference I guess.
    edited June 25, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    holy cow, the second one knocks my socks off! The others are great, too, but that one is amazing. Lovely use of color in all. Very nicely lit, as well. thumb.gif

Well, thanks Lynne! You know my mission is to blow your socks offrolleyes1.gif. Thank you so very much...glad you likey.:D
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited June 25, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice going David!thumb.gif

I'm glad I'm not the only one with an orange attitude:-) rolleyes1.gif

#2 is my favorite: great cureves, smooths silky dress and flowing chiffon...bowdown.gif

And a grain of salt for ya mwink.gif
    light's falling off her head in #1 concentrating on the body only. Not sure if you meant it... ne_nau.gif

Thanks Nik......and I'm so glad for your grain of salt..ya know, I've been looking at that and trying to figure it out....then realized, the gold reflector to light her face was just a bit too much and made her squint, so lowered it....awww...showed up here in PP too....great eye and observation. Guess I could correct it...but hey..who wouldn't want a slender body.....BTW...I'm having a birthday on Saturday and can only dream of being that slender..Laughing.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited June 25, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    second one looks nicest to me.
    One thing that bothers me is the blue cast though. More of a matter of personal preference I guess.

Thanks Tee Why....I suppose the blue is from one of the layers used to darken....it didn't really distract me but certainly do see your point. Thanks so much for commenting.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited June 26, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Thanks Nik......and I'm so glad for your grain of salt..ya know, I've been looking at that and trying to figure it out....then realized, the gold reflector to light her face was just a bit too much and made her squint, so lowered it....awww...showed up here in PP too....great eye and observation. Guess I could correct it...but hey..who wouldn't want a slender body.....BTW...I'm having a birthday on Saturday and can only dream of being that slender..Laughing.gif
    Yeah, I hear ya... Reflectors combined with the sun have that problem.
    I heard some wise men recommending the following technique to deal with this situation:
    1. Ask her temporarily turn her eyes/head some other direction
    2. Set up the reflector
    3. Ask her to close her eyes and turn her head into a "working" position/tilt
    4. PreFocus
    5. Ask her to open her eyes as wide as possible on "go" and then close them back
    6. Count out loud "ready-set-go", take the picture when her eyes are open
    7. Repeat steps 3..6 until you're satisfied (or the model is completely blind:-)
    HTH
  • DVDMDVDM Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Good light, good color contrast, good composition and wonderful model =) Only one thing to say: always ask your model not to bow her head. It's better when we can see her neck mwink.gif
    edited June 26, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yeah, I hear ya... Reflectors combined with the sun have that problem.
    I heard some wise men recommending the following technique to deal with this situation:
    1. Ask her temporarily turn her eyes/head some other direction
    2. Set up the reflector
    3. Ask her to close her eyes and turn her head into a "working" position/tilt
    4. PreFocus
    5. Ask her to open her eyes as wide as possible on "go" and then close them back
    6. Count out loud "ready-set-go", take the picture when her eyes are open
    7. Repeat steps 3..6 until you're satisfied (or the model is completely blind:-)
    HTH

Good stuff Nik...thank you. I'll implement that next time!thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited June 26, 2008
    DVDM wrote:
    Good light, good color contrast, good composition and wonderful model =) Only one thing to say: always ask your model not to bow her head. It's better when we can see her neck mwink.gif

Thank you. That is very good advice about the neck. I will pay closer attention as sometimes I am laying on the ground and don't want to shoot up their nose...Laughing.gif!
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Gorgeous shoot. 2, 3, 1 in that order. The one thing about #2 that is a nit is that her eyes are shifted a bit too far to her left, showing a little too much white. With as beautiful as the image is, it was the first thing to draw my attention.

btw, did you grafitti the Alice? I hear the police cometh..... rolleyes1.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    I like the framing and colors in all but I have to buck the trend even with the reflector issue, I like #1 the most. clap.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Broken doll legs... allllllllllmost.
    I love the second one. So dramatic and dreamy.
    edited June 27, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    smooths silky dress and flowing chiffon.... ne_nau.gif
    That's satine and rayon, silly.
    edited June 27, 2008
    That's satine and rayon, silly.
    Whatever works, baby mwink.gif We males are goal, not details, oriented deal.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited June 27, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Whatever works, baby mwink.gif We males are goal, not details, oriented deal.gifrolleyes1.gif
    And that's why you live in utter filth and wonder why your apartments smell! I know. Oh I know! I live with a boy! Messy! Messy beasts!
    edited June 27, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Gorgeous shoot. 2, 3, 1 in that order. The one thing about #2 that is a nit is that her eyes are shifted a bit too far to her left, showing a little too much white. With as beautiful as the image is, it was the first thing to draw my attention.

btw, did you grafitti the Alice? I hear the police cometh..... rolleyes1.gif

Thanks very much Travis. It's funny how we all see things a bit differently. The thing about #2 that really grabs me is those sharp eyes with the white showing...it draws me right to them...Laughing.gif. The Alice writing was actually there and wanted to utilize it in the shot...so that worked well. All these were shot with my Tamron 17-50. I really love that lens...someday, I'll be in a position to afford the 17-55 IS but this one works nicely.

Thanks for your insights.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited June 27, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I like the framing and colors in all but I have to buck the trend even with the reflector issue, I like #1 the most. clap.gif

Thanks evoryware! I love the golden light myself and thought it worked well. Granted, it could have been up just a tad higher but if revisited in post that's an easy fix.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited June 27, 2008
    Broken doll legs... allllllllllmost.
    I love the second one. So dramatic and dreamy.

Heheh...broken doll legs? To quote an infamous movie (Spaceballs), "you didn't see me playing with my dolls did you?" rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the comment....#2 is a favorite here too.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited June 27, 2008
    And that's why you live in utter filth and wonder why your apartments smell! I know. Oh I know! I live with a boy! Messy! Messy beasts!

Wow, sure am glad we don't live in apartments mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited June 28, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Heheh...broken doll legs? To quote an infamous movie (Spaceballs), "you didn't see me playing with my dolls did you?" rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the comment....#2 is a favorite here too.
    It's a dance move and then was applied to modeling in Next Top Model [hey, they do some neat sets] and voila, a genre of modeling was born.

It's more like a discarded marionette, bent legs arms flailed head down waist fully bent. I love the look, makes everything interesting.