Options

Drag & Drop Uploader Changed ?

voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
edited June 24, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Has the drag & drop uploader changed ? I use to be able to drop a folder on it, and they'd all upload.
Now. I have to open the folder , select all and drag that bunch to the uploader?

Sad.

Marty (dotfur.com)

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 24, 2008
    Hey Marty,

I don't think it's changed, but we are trying to retire it, I'm sorry to say. We relegated it to a fine print link at the bottom of the uploaders page.

It doesn't have the robust error recovery of the other uploaders so we must bid it a fond farewell. (For people it betrayed, not so fond.)

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,275 moderator
    edited June 24, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    I don't think it's changed, but we are trying to retire it, I'm sorry to say. We relegated it to a fine print link at the bottom of the uploaders page.

It doesn't have the robust error recovery of the other uploaders so we must bid it a fond farewell. (For people it betrayed, not so fond.)
    That's really a shame. It may not have the error recovery, but I'm a lot happier with that one than the newer Simple uploader.

Why? Because I use tabs in my browser windows, and because the upload files dialog box positions itself directly over the browser window. I can switch to a different tab, but the upload dialog box stays front and center in the browser window. If I could minimize the dialog box that would be OK - but there is no minimize button on that little modal dialog box. As it is today I find it extremely annoying.

I remember doing some comparison timings between those two uploaders when you first released the Simple uploader. And although the new uploader was supposed to be faster than the old drag and drop, I did not find that to be the case.

--- Denise
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 24, 2008
    That's really a shame. It may not have the error recovery, but I'm a lot happier with that one than the newer Simple uploader.

Why? Because I use tabs in my browser windows, and because the upload files dialog box positions itself directly over the browser window. I can switch to a different tab, but the upload dialog box stays front and center in the browser window. If I could minimize the dialog box that would be OK - but there is no minimize button on that little modal dialog box. As it is today I find it extremely annoying.

I remember doing some comparison timings between those two uploaders when you first released the Simple uploader. And although the new uploader was supposed to be faster than the old drag and drop, I did not find that to be the case.

--- Denise
    It hasn't gone away, you just have to look at the bottom of the list for the link to it. We just don't want to represent that it's supported or we'll get dragged into more "it bombed in the middle of my upload" discussions which we can't solve.