New guy looking at Canon

mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
edited June 28, 2008 in Cameras
So, after going to the local photography shop and playing with some different Canon and Nikon cameras, I found the Canon body to be more comfy in my hand. I had it set in my mind that a Nikon D40 was for me, but I was wrong after holding it. The two Canon's that I looked at were the XT and XSI. This particular shop didn't have the XTI in stock. What are the real differences between the XT and XTI? Keep in mind I'm really new at this. I'd ask about the XSI, but its out of my price range. I'm trying to stay around the $650-ish price range as a max. I'd be using the camera for mostly outdoors, architecture, action, some close up stuff, and of course friends, family, and pets. Thanks!

Kris

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    I think the XSi is over your budget, but XT and XTi are more similar in how it looks and handles.

XTi mainly has a 10MP sensor with an anti dust feature, slightly faster AF, slightly bigger viewfinder, more buffer, larger LCD, and some rubber panels where you grip the camera so it feels more secure in the hand.

It does lack a tiny rear LCD and uses the main LCD to show the settings.
    It's not a big deal though. I've had both the XT and XTi and given the choice would go for the XTi.

Consider buying a lens seperately though. The kit lens 18-55mm without the IS is not that good. For about $175, you can order online a Canon 18-55mm with IS which is a much improved version of the kit lens.

Good luck.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    XTi is a great camera. I don't leave home without it. :D
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    XTi is a great camera. I don't leave home without it. :D

I have an XTi that I purchase about two years ago and haven't take a single photo with my original Digital Rebel that I kept as a backup since.

That said, if I had the money, I would go with a 40D. It's a more "pro level" camera, with more bells and whistles, faster FPS, etc.

If you have any digital memory from another camera, that may be a consideration, as the XSi uses SD memory, not the Compactflash that the 40D/XTi do.

The XTi I have does quite well, and I'm very happy with it. My next upgrade, after the 300 F4 non-IS, is going to be a 40D or a gently used 30D though.

Mike.
  • mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    So it sounds like the XTI is the way to go. What do you mean by IS lens? I've never heard of that. Thanks again!

Kris
  • fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    IS= Image Stabilization. It is a complex series of widgets and doodads (gnomes even?) inside the lens that help to reduce camera shake. Honestly though it is a small motor that helps to reduce the natural shake that your hands experience while holding a camera, or anything else for that matter. It is really nice for those long telephoto zooms when you are handheld.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    mud390 wrote:
    So it sounds like the XTI is the way to go. What do you mean by IS lens? I've never heard of that. Thanks again!

Kris
    IS - Image Stablization. This is a technology to counter small camera movements, thus reducing or eliminating the blurring of an image when the camera is hand-held. For many (but not all) lenses, you turn this technology off when the camera/lens combination is mounted to a tripod.

As noted above, it really shines with longer focal lengths. In testing, I have shown it to be of use even in my 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens.
  • LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Xti
    The XTI would be a great camera and can be found for well under your budget online. With the extra cash you could pick up a nifty fifty or go body only and get a better lens then the kit.

If you want to save a lot of money the XT online is very cheap and still a nice camera. I bought one over 2 years ago and still have found a reason to switch. I find that the camera doesn't limit my talent. it is very much the other way around.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    I used the XTi for everything under the sun until I was eventually able to afford upgrading to the 40D. I loved my XTi, it really served me well.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    XTi can be bought with a "kit" lens a 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lens for about $100 above the price of the body alone.

Their is a new "kit" lens, a 18-55mm f3.5-5.6mm IS that comes with a Rebel XSi which can also be bought separately. This version is well worth the few extra bucks over a non IS kit lens that you can buy with an XTi b/c it's optically superior to the older version.