Which backup to buy??

RStevensRStevens Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited June 27, 2008 in Cameras
Okay so currently I have a 40D and a Rebel XT. I hate having to switch back and forth. I use my backup when outside with the kids. I use both at weddings with diffrent lenses so that I have everything at the tip of my fingers. I am wanting something that is set up the same or close to my 40D. I am not as concerned with the tech stuff just the set up (buttons, menu, ect. ) Going back to my Rebel after shooting with my 40 is like using disposable. It is totally diffrent. I'm considering a 20 or 30. I'm really not wanting to get another 40 b/c it just seems like a waste. Has anyone upgraded from a 20 to a 40 or a 30 to a 40? Help me decide which will fit my needs. I don't live close to anywhere that sells these so I'm depending you you guys. THANKS!!

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    To me having 2 cameras EXACTLY a like is not a waste.....here is my reasoning.....and I have been this way even with my med. format film cameras::
    If the cameras are exactly the same model, then I know where everything is on both cameras, no guessing.....no having to remember the differences between camera A and camera B....... it is not a waste.....for me the waste lies in trying to remeber the differences between "SIMILAR" cameras......because similar means just that similar not identical or alike.....and when shootinmg a wedding I do not want to have to think about differences, except in my lenses......I always shoot 2 identical bodies one with a short to med zoom (24-70) and one with long zoom (70-210)......my only concern is do I need wider than 70, if I do I just grab the other camera.....

Now if yoiu love your 40 then get another....if it is lacking something that a new model has then sell the xti first (or give it to the wife is she likes to shoot with it) and buy the new camera with features you really want....then when your perfectly comfortable with it...sell the 40 and buy a second of the newer better model you already have.........

HTH
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Art's suggestion is the most ideal.
    But we need to define what means of backup. If we have 2 identical camera, it seems like just 2 camera.

For backup, I consider it as something extra, lower cost and for just in case the main one fail. It may not be necessary as expensive or high tech as the main camera.

Steve seems have the XSi as back up for the 40D.

I use my old 300D (Rebel) as back up for the 5D. It is not good enough but at least it is almost free of charge for me. (there is not so much resale value nowadays). I still can remember the manual and setting of the 300D but found a bit inconvinent to switch between 2 camera. The good point of these 2 camera is that they share the same kind of battery.

Some time ago, I consider to change the 300D to 40D as back up and for sport photo. After trying it and I found there is quite a bit of difference in terms of manual and setting. I just too lazy to learn again.

Hope the 5D replacement come out in a year and I can get the new full frame and move the 5D as backup.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    I agree with Art, the closer the 2 cameras are in function and feel the better off you will be. I was in the same position using a 40D and an XT. Every time I had to use the XT I felt uncomfortable, fumbling with the settings or adjusting to the difference in the viewfinder.

I could not find a used 40D and could not cost justify another new one so I bought a used 30D. While the controls are a little different it feels the same as the 40D, so it is very comfortable to switch back and forth.

Would I buy another 40D if I find one I can afford, absolutely. But for now I am much happier than I was before I got the 30D. (And my daughter is thrilled because I gave her the XT!)
  • fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    I started with a 20D then got an XTi for a backup/ drunken fireman festival camera. I bought a 40D a few weeks ago and was going to sell the 20D and keep the XTi. But for the reasons you stated I kept the 20D instead and sold off the XTi to a friend looking for a true entry level DSLR. The 20D is close enough in operation to the 40D that switching back and forth is a seamless operation. As for the 30D I have no experience with it so I cannot interject. You can get a 20D decently priced though.
  • nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    I would...
    I agree with Art. I originally bought the XT, then upgraded to the 30D as it was a steal when the 40D came out. I still have my XT, but when I use both, it drives me nuts as the controls are laid out different and the whole unit just feels different. Not smooth at all when I am trying to go back and forth between 2 cameras quickly. If you can afford it, get another 40D (used?) or grab a 30D - I think you'll appreciate the similarities between the 2 when you are switching back and forth. Jus' my 2 cents....
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    I've thought about that several times over the past few months and I agree with Art. Just last week I used my XTi and 40D switching between them.
    I always find myself trying to turn the wheel on the XTi, especially when I have it in portrait orientation using the grip. Then looking at the back of the XTi bedazzled, I forget for a split second how I'm supposed to change the aperture on it...
    There is no wheel on the XTi!
    On the 40D I find myself looking for the Aperture Priority button on the grip, but I'm supposed to use the rear wheel.
    These mistake could cost me a shot.

There are other issues with the layout, but that one really stands out.

I'd get two 40D's in a heartbeat if I could.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • RStevensRStevens Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Thanks for your help. When I stated that buying another 40D would be a waste I meant that it will sit up alot. I don't use my backup alot. That is the reason I don't like the rebel. I don't use it enought to remember what to do. I was thinking about a 20 but wondered how close to a 40 it was set up. I don't really have the money to get a 40.
  • nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    RStevens wrote:
    Thanks for your help. When I stated that buying another 40D would be a waste I meant that it will sit up alot. I don't use my backup alot. That is the reason I don't like the rebel. I don't use it enought to remember what to do. I was thinking about a 20 but wondered how close to a 40 it was set up. I don't really have the money to get a 40.

Well, even if it did sit for some time, that's ok too, it'll last longer :D Seriously, I hear what you are saying. I am not 100% sure, but I think both the 20D & the 30D have a similar layout to the 40D. I would personally grab the 30D - it is such a steal right now, even new.
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • RStevensRStevens Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Thanks guys!! I think I am going to go with the 30D.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    RStevens wrote:
    Thanks guys!! I think I am going to go with the 30D.

A great choice! I shoot with a 40D main and 30D backup, they're quite a good pair together.