Options

Any guides on how to take photos for stitching correctly?

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited June 25, 2008 in Technique
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me or point me to a simple tutorial on how to best take photos to stitch together to make a nice panorama?

I've tried it a bit on the D80 but don't seem to be getting as good results as when i did it in stitching mode (show's the overlap) on my old IXUS700.

Want to get some great panoramas when I'm in the US on holidays.

Thanks for all tips

Cheers, Jase

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Jase what programme are you using ? That will help us help you.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Jase what programme are you using ? That will help us help you.

Err well just Canon Photostitch which I received with the IXUS700.

I've no idea what else I can use - don't want to pay though rolleyes1.gif already spent enough money this month (err year) on photography stuff - wifie will kill me soon mwink.gif

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 25, 2008
    There are just a few basic things you need to do while shooting:
    • Meter for a representative piece of the scene, then set your camera for manual exposure at those settings.
    • Use a tripod and remote release or timer. Make sure the camera is level before you start. Make sure you only pan.
    • Try to overlap somewhere between 25 to 33 percent.
    • Choose a lens and focal length that minimizes barrel distortion.
    • Try to work quickly if the light is changing fast.
    If you are having specific problems, posting a sample will help sort thing out.

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    • Meter for a representative piece of the scene, then set your camera for manual exposure at those settings.
    • Use a tripod and remote release or timer. Make sure the camera is level before you start. Make sure you only pan.

Cheers,

Thanks Richard - I plan on taking my tripod this trip - hopefully i can carry it around with me too mwink.gif

I'll try to keep those instructions/tips in mind - might try to practise one or two before I go

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    There ...
    • Try to overlap somewhere between 25 to 33 percent... Cheers,
    Hello Richard. Como está ? (Portuguese because Sapnish I am afraid to write mistakes as I often do in English mwink.gif)
    I think that if we use a wide angle lens we can increase the number of shots to overlap to avoid barrel distortion. Do you agree with this ?

I mean, instead of 2 shots with an overlap of 30 % I would make 4 shots (counting the 1.st one) with an overlap of 3/4 than 1/2 and 1/4.

Did I explain myself correctly ? Did I make myself understand ? ne_nau.gif
    I hope so.
    :Dthumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    [/list]Hello Richard. Como está ? (Portuguese because Sapnish I am afraid to write mistakes as I often do in English mwink.gif)
    I think that if we use a wide angle lens we can increase the number of shots to overlap to avoid barrel distortion. Do you agree with this ?

I mean, instead of 2 shots with an overlap of 30 % I would make 4 shots (counting the 1.st one) with an overlap of 3/4 than 1/2 and 1/4.

Did I explain myself correctly ? Did I make myself understand ? ne_nau.gif
    I hope so.
    :Dthumb.gif

Hola, Toni. Cuánto tiempo sin verte...

I wouldn't go that far, actually. The more you overlap, the more chance there is for misalignment, especially if there are trees moving in the wind. With a 3/4 overlap, the same object might be present in three frames, and this could complicate matters. I suppose some software is better at resolving these problems, ne_nau.gif. But you are correct that you will reduce distortion problems if you stay away from the wide end of the lens. When possible, I try to shoot panos close to 50mm.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Hola, Toni. Cuánto tiempo sin verte...

I wouldn't go that far, actually. The more you overlap, the more chance there is for misalignment, especially if there are trees moving in the wind. With a 3/4 overlap, the same object might be present in three frames, and this could complicate matters. I suppose some software is better at resolving these problems, ne_nau.gif. But you are correct that you will reduce distortion problems if you stay away from the wide end of the lens. When possible, I try to shoot panos close to 50mm.

Well yes, you are right Richard:
    "The more you overlap, the more chance there is for misalignment"
    50 mm lens on a full frame... mwink.gif
    My Mac had some troubles and I have been away for some time now.
    But I will be back. Obrigado :D
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Richard wrote:

Cheers,
    In addition to this, take care if you are planning to use a CP filter as they can induce artificial/unnatural darkening of the sky.

As to the number of images to use to create the pano...

319299414_J9LJr-L.jpg

EXIF:
    • f/6.7
    • 1/750
    • 55mm (using EF 24-105 f/4L)
    • 23 images - in portrait orientation, with something between 30% and 50% overlap
    This was stitched using the automated facility in CS3 - works great!

The point is that you can use a lot of images to create a pano - just need to pay some attention to the subject. You are better off with fewer component images if there's a chance that something in the scene will move and, thus, cause registration issues.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    In addition to this, take care if you are planning to use a CP filter as they can induce artificial/unnatural darkening of the sky.

As to the number of images to use to create the pano...

319299414_J9LJr-L.jpg

EXIF:
    • f/6.7
    • 1/750
    • 55mm (using EF 24-105 f/4L)
    • 23 images - in portrait orientation, with something between 30% and 50% overlap
    This was stitched using the automated facility in CS3 - works great!

The point is that you can use a lot of images to create a pano - just need to pay some attention to the subject. You are better off with fewer component images if there's a chance that something in the scene will move and, thus, cause registration issues.

Nice one! thumb.gif

Question is - was this panning in a circular motion, i.e. moving camera from left to right on a tripod head? or did you move the camera from left to right in a straight line? e.g. physically moving the tripod - or maybe you've got some really long line drawn out?

I've already gleaned that exposure should be the same across the photo - what about focus?

Should I focus on a point (maybe hyperfocal) and then set the focus to manual???

Thanks again everyone - I think I might just be able to get a decent pano now (well maybe mwink.gif )

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Nice one! thumb.gif
    Thanks!
    jasonstone wrote:
    Question is - was this panning in a circular motion, i.e. moving camera from left to right on a tripod head? or did you move the camera from left to right in a straight line? e.g. physically moving the tripod - or maybe you've got some really long line drawn out?
    Forgot to mention that this was panned in circular motion, hand-held - no tripod. However, I was sitting down, I used the focus points to orient the camera on the water/mountain line to keep the camera level and to keep the elevation of the camera consistent from one exposure to the next. You will read people like Andy referring to things like pivoting about the nodal point of the lens, etc. This stuff is important when your subject includes objects close to the camera. I avoided that worry by NOT including close stuff, thus was able to simply rotate my torso to get the shots of the pano. But, for those shots where there are objects close to the camera, you do need to pay careful attention to things like rotating about the nodal point of the lens.
    jasonstone wrote:
    I've already gleaned that exposure should be the same across the photo - what about focus?
    Once you have set the ISO, aperture, shutter speed, and focus - leave it all alone from one exposure to the next. Something not mentioned above is that you need to set a WB to something other than AWB. If you have AWB set, the WB can/will change from one exposure to the next and then you are sunk!
    jasonstone wrote:
    Should I focus on a point (maybe hyperfocal) and then set the focus to manual???
    Set you focus - use manual or auto but use your brain to decide on what in the scene will the point of critical focus. Select this point based on your understanding of DOF, hyperfocal distances, and the effect you are looking for. Once you have set it, YES turn off the AF on the camera.

Also not noted above but should be obvious - don't change the focal length of the lens while making the pano :D
    jasonstone wrote:
    Thanks again everyone - I think I might just be able to get a decent pano now (well maybe mwink.gif )

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    Thanks Scott - I think that's just about nailed exactly what I had jumbled up in my mind - now I know what I have to do

Just have to do it now mwink.gif

Well we'll see what opportunities pop up...

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    291498413_NuVuv-L-8.jpg

Relax. It is not difficult.
    I shot this pano with the canon G9, handheld in manual.
    As the picture was not very important I was relaxed and I had no special care...
    It turned out to be a good one.mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Nice one! thumb.gif

Don't move the tripod. If you are a perfectionist, you should be rotating the camera around the nodal point of the lens and focal length. See tute here. Special heads are available but people have also had good results with home brew solutions. If you are relatively far from the subject, you don't have to worry much about this finer point. As you can see, people sometimes manage to shoot very nice panos without a tripod at all.

Yes. Just make sure that you have set the aperture correctly to give you the DOF you want.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Don't move the tripod. If you are a perfectionist, you should be rotating the camera around the nodal point of the lens and focal length. See tute here.

Much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much too hard eek7.gif

...for the (to be) random pano shooter like me

But thanks for the tip anyway thumb.gif

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    You should check out the open-source (free) pano stich tool 'hugin' as it has far more capabilities that the Canon Photostich

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    You should check out the open-source (free) pano stich tool 'hugin' as it has far more capabilities that the Canon Photostich

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Thanks I'm checking it out now... only one thing - is there an "idiot" mode???

I like where possible for it to do a lot of it automatically for me or at least guide me through - the screenshots make it look really powerful but also a bit scary to approach!

So many lines and co-ordinates!!!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Thanks I'm checking it out now... only one thing - is there an "idiot" mode???

I like where possible for it to do a lot of it automatically for me or at least guide me through - the screenshots make it look really powerful but also a bit scary to approach!

So many lines and co-ordinates!!!

Well I think that is the point of the Canon tool. It is the 'idiot mode tool". Use it for a few photos. You will learn why all those lines and co-ordinates are in hugin.