Options

RGB histogram

Bill_MBill_M Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
edited June 25, 2008 in Technique
Hi guys,
Quick question...the 40D has a histogram view that shows the RGB histogram. Currently I use the exposure histogram view...and I know how to make exposure adjustments in the field.
However, what adjustments do I make in the field if my RGB histogram is clipped? Do I adjust color temp / white balance?

Thanks,
Bill

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 25, 2008
    I, routinely, use the RGB histogram.

If one channel is over exposed ( blown ) I reduce my exposure by 1/3 to 1/2 stop and shoot again. I do not adjust my white balance setting.

When I shoot a gray balance reflector ( like from betterbalance.com), my RGB histogram is three sharp spikes all directly in line in the middle of the histogram IF the exposure is correct as from a Sekonic incident light meter. Over-exposure will have all three channels over exposed, and under exposure vice versa. My experience with custom white balancing suggests that jpgs require accurate exposure ( plus or minus 1/3- 1/2 stop ) for quality and color balance.

Setting a custom white balance in this manner, yields very nice color blanaced jpgs straight from the camera.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Bill_MBill_M Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Thanks for explaining