Challenge 2.3 Thoughts

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited July 7, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
All right. I guess I'll go first. :rofl

What I was going for here was "scaled". Piano, music, practice scales, etc.

These are three attempts from last night. Feedback is welcome!

#1 - Motion Blur

320008939_UFn5f-L.jpg

#2 - Less Motion Blur
320008992_vwEfe-L.jpg

#3 - Wider angle
320009085_fpenj-L.jpg

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    #2 i think
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    I choose number two, as well. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    #2. Great minds think a like. I thought of musical scales as well. Not sure I am going to pursue it or not. Good luck with your entry.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    looks just like one of entries from lps 1....ne_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    I like the motion and composition of #1...it is more engaging to me.
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    When I looked at the thread I went straight to the images before reading the text.

In looking at the images, I didn't immediately see the connection to the theme and didn't understand the concept until I went back and read what you had written (I must admit that I have no musical ability and don't know the first thing about practicing scales for the piano).

I think this is partly because music scales are audible, but photos are captures of single moments, so I didn't see this as playing of scales, but more as someone playing the piano (it could be any score being played).

As a result, my honest opinion would be that none of these images quite hits the theme in a way that many people would immediately understand, especially because scales are probably not the same thing as scaled.

This is a tough theme and your results so far are way better than anything I've done, but my advice (if it's worth taking) would be to keep working it at the moment.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Thank you all for your feedback! iloveyou.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I guess I'm not a great mind :D because I like the dynamics of #1. The others say "keys" to me while the first says "playing the scale".
  • WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    # 1 !!! Very cool shot ..
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    I like the concept and I like the imaging in #1 the most. I do have one question and not having learned to play the piano I could be wrong, but don't you practice the scales with one hand? If so, you might try a longer exposure, to get more distance traveled, of one hand moving across the keys. Maybe even, if you can get the angles and positioning of model and camera worked out, shoot from the point of view of the pianist. Straight on shot of the keyboard with the hand moving left to right? Just a thought, good luck!
    —Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
    edited June 27, 2008
    Thanks, Wally & Travis! iloveyou.gif
    edited June 27, 2008
    KevXman wrote:
    I like the concept and I like the imaging in #1 the most. I do have one question and not having learned to play the piano I could be wrong, but don't you practice the scales with one hand? If so, you might try a longer exposure, to get more distance traveled, of one hand moving across the keys. Maybe even, if you can get the angles and positioning of model and camera worked out, shoot from the point of view of the pianist. Straight on shot of the keyboard with the hand moving left to right? Just a thought, good luck!
    —Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. iloveyou.gif

As far as piano playing goes, beginners will start learning scales one hand at a time. But as you advance it evolves to both hands.

headscratch.gif Hmmm....I like the part about the longer exposure and more distance traveled. :D

Changing the angle will be tough, though, as I'm rather limited on space in that room and I'm also the model and the photographer. As it was, the tripod was resting on a daybed when I took these photos. rolleyes1.gif
    edited June 27, 2008
    ...here: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=82170&highlight=hands

very well done dont ya think......>edit, edit, edit...(this is what should have been stated) i think maybe you should go for something not so close to that entry...ne_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited June 27, 2008
    headscratch.gif hmmmmm.....
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    ...here: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=82170&highlight=hands

very well done dont ya think......maybe you should go for something original...ne_nau.gif

Everything's under the sun has been done. Doesn't mean people can't shoot what they have in their head. I hope your tone came out the way it did unintentional.ne_nau.gif
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    I like the motion and composition of #1...it is more engaging to me.

Ditto for me, too.
    edited June 28, 2008
    im not sure about the tone....headscratch.gif just take my statments as they are...though i see how you read it...so i did a makeshift change edit edit

i could be completely wrong, heck im absolutlyblyblylly no expert, but i thought that pointing that out would help the chances of not getting a statment from the judges like "not original enough, almost completly exact to....etc... etc..."

but thats just my thoughts....i would hope people would be that honest with me...even if they are wrong or right, i would hope they tried to help me...
    Aaron Nelson
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    As far as piano playing goes, beginners will start learning scales one hand at a time. But as you advance it evolves to both hands.

Gee, I learned something about music on a photography site! Another reason to be thankful that I became a part of this community.

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    Something totally off the wall but what the heck....I thought I would jump back in participation in some of the challenges again as its been quite a while. Been busy working with Tom Moran on the MOA site moderating a photo phorum we got going over there... anyway I just saw this new series of challenges and figured what the hey, lets have some fun with this, so here is feather-head no. 1.:ivar

feather-head-sm+2.jpg

EXIF

Rocketman
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    Sounds like you are tight on space but the scale might be more obvious if you could show the "scale" in sheet music form in the background.
    Good luck!
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
    edited June 30, 2008
    quark wrote:
    Sounds like you are tight on space but the scale might be more obvious if you could show the "scale" in sheet music form in the background.
    Good luck!
    :D Thanks. I've given that some thought as well.
    edited June 30, 2008
    a few more thoughts/tries

There is a large pond/small lake where I work and often times in the early AM a Blue Heron shows up to fish, I happened to take my DSLR with me today (since I usually travel by bike I tend to take my G9 most days) and he happened to show up around 6:30, I tired to get fairly close to him without spooking him and got a couple of shots off before he flew away. Somehow though they just don't seem to "pop" using a 70-300 VR Nikor lens with a D80. Any thoughts appreciated.

feathered-2-sm.jpg

feathered-3-sm.jpg

RM
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
    edited June 30, 2008
    And on the "scaled" front...

an old set of scales, I have no idea what they were used for but they are hanging in the hall in our house, Jeanne's folks were antique dealers so we have a lot of these sorts of things in the house....

scales-1.jpg

again any thoughts welcome

RM
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    RocketMan wrote:
    And on the "scaled" front...

an old set of scales, I have no idea what they were used for but they are hanging in the hall in our house, Jeanne's folks were antique dealers so we have a lot of these sorts of things in the house....

again any thoughts welcome

RM

Nice idea, just don't forget the 800x800 fit rule, it may look different when "scaled down" (pun intended:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited July 1, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice idea, just don't forget the 800x800 fit rule, it may look different when "scaled down" (pun intended:-)

Ah, I wasn't thinking length, just width, thanks for the reminder, its been a long time since I tried any of these. That one was a bit fuzzy and flat anyway, I'm trying it again with a bit of angle to bring out some depth.

RM

attempt No. two, I think this one is better...

scales-3-sm.jpg
    edited July 1, 2008
    RocketMan wrote:
    attempt No. two, I think this one is better...
    Dude, you'll be DQ-ed if you have even 1 pixel over 800 in any direction, plain and simple. You still have like 3200...deal.gif
    You gotta try another angle...
    edited July 1, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Dude, you'll be DQ-ed if you have even 1 pixel over 800 in any direction, plain and simple. You still have like 3200...deal.gif
    You gotta try another angle...
    Ok that was weird I did resize it to 800 high but when I replaced this version with the same name as another larger version I had up on my site prior to resizing it, the site Gallery software kept the old size, very bizarre! I had to remove the file from the software database and re-enter it, so Its fixed now, thanks for the heads up.

RM
    edited July 1, 2008
    RocketMan wrote:
    Ok that was weird I did resize it to 800 high but when I replaced this version with the same name as another larger version I had up on my site prior to resizing it, the site Gallery software kept the old size, very bizarre! I had to remove the file from the software database and re-enter it, so Its fixed now, thanks for the heads up.

RM

Now you're in! thumb.gif
    edited July 7, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    headscratch.gif hmmmmm.....

looks like you thought about it, good going on your entry. i seriously think your entry will be in the top three imho.
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 7, 2008
    looks like you thought about it, good going on your entry. i seriously think your entry will be in the top three imho.
    Thanks, Aaron. :D