Is this portrait ok?

KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
edited June 26, 2008 in People
Here is a Portrait of my boss. He wants to hang it up in our waiting room so New patients know what he looks like before they meet him. Is this portrait good enough? He hasn't seen the picture yet

P6259256-Edit.jpg
~Katie~
:barb

http://www.kc1stphotography.com

2 Canon Rebel XSi
Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
2 Canon 14-55mm
Canon 55-250mm f4.0
Canon 580EX
Canon 580EX II

Comments

• VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Good portrait of him.. i'd lose the background, maybe see him on a plain white background with some nice fuzzy shadows behind him? Whites DOCTORISH
  • KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Vycor wrote:
    Good portrait of him.. i'd lose the background, maybe see him on a plain white background with some nice fuzzy shadows behind him? Whites DOCTORISH

lol, that was our fireplace at work. He picked it... He originally wanted a orange or green background! headscratch.gif
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    I'd like to see a portrait crop...
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Tell him you'd like to reshoot (make up a reason) and then stand him a couple feet further from the bricks. Then tell him you'd like to try a couple other places (near the diplomas and certificates in his office, sitting at his desk, a white wall, a shelf of files, etc.) for variety. Then crop in for head and shoulders. Show him the best ones from those and let him choose.

Hint: If YOU really don't like a certain background, make it really suck. You can also "accidently" print (burn onto a disc) the one you like best backward - believe me, it works* - and then let him choose.

*I did this, once. I knew the model very well by this time and knew which pictures she'd hate. I chose one of those she'd hate (but I liked) and printed it once backward and once correctly, then slipped them each into different places in the stack of prints. She hated the correct one. She chose the backward one. :D
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited June 25, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Tell him you'd like to reshoot (make up a reason) and then stand him a couple feet further from the bricks. Then tell him you'd like to try a couple other places (near the diplomas and certificates in his office, sitting at his desk, a white wall, a shelf of files, etc.) for variety. Then crop in for head and shoulders. Show him the best ones from those and let him choose.

Hint: If YOU really don't like a certain background, make it really suck. You can also "accidently" print (burn onto a disc) the one you like best backward - believe me, it works* - and then let him choose.

*I did this, once. I knew the model very well by this time and knew which pictures she'd hate. I chose one of those she'd hate (but I liked) and printed it once backward and once correctly, then slipped them each into different places in the stack of prints. She hated the correct one. She chose the backward one. :D

I actually do like the background too. Our office is weirdly spaced, and his desk is against the wall so he is facing it. But that is a good idea. Thanks
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • super starsuper star Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:

I second it :D
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Here's my take on it w/o color correction:

320202088_Hv75h-L.jpg

cheers!
    David
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I'm with Lee - I would want to do a re-shoot. IMO, the background is sooo strong an element that it draws viewer (at least my) attention from the Dr. Move him a but further away from that background to throw it more OOF (if you can, open up the aperture a bit more to decrease the DOF).

As for the pose - FWIW, I mostly like it. I do think, however, that I would decrease the head tilt a bit. Your perspective is perfect - presents the Dr as friendly and approachable - which I guess is the objective here. So, well done on that score.clap.gif

If the Dr has the patience (no pun intended there - really:D) for it, do some shots in other locations. Might even be worthwhile to scout the immediate surroundings of the office and/or building. There might be something outside. You might be able to find something in the hallway that really works (assuming you have hallways in the building).
  • DVDMDVDM Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    And try to build more interesting composition, - not just "face in the center".
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I tend to agree with the suggestions. If the brick is what is preferred. I think the things in the corner (support for the mantle?) should be removed if possible in the re-shoot or crop.

I like his expression and the fact that he doesn't look stern or too posed.
    Jaye
    edited June 26, 2008
    jayegirl wrote:
    I tend to agree with the suggestions. If the brick is what is preferred. I think the things in the corner (support for the mantle?) should be removed if possible in the re-shoot or crop.

I like his expression and the fact that he doesn't look stern or too posed.

To be honest, it was 5:00 (time to go home) and I just had him sit on a stool. So I didn't pose him or have him move a certain way. We are going to retake some pictures today, my partner wanted him to dress different. So I will post another one.
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II