Options

Voices of God - Comments/Critique

KolyaKolya Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited April 5, 2004 in People
Looking for comments on my pictures at http://kolya.smugmug.com

I am an amateur photographer putting together a photography book about clergy in and around the San Francisco Bay Area.

“Voices of God” will be about religious clergy. Religious leaders are viewed with different perspectives today, but their ability to heal, develop, teach, and share joy with us during our lives arouse us and provide us with a sense of peace. This is a project exploring the many denominations of religious clergy in the San Francisco Bay Area and how they communicate their respective messages from God or their spiritual leader.

I hope the work will contribute to the diverse religious discussions taking place in people’s lives today.

I'd love some comments/critique on my pictures - please check it out at http://kolya.smugmug.com

Thanks!
Kolya

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2004
    Hi Koyla, welcome aboard! wave.gif

Nice images and a great project. I'm especially interested in the ones that look like they're in a mosque of some kind. Very different world from mine, thanks for taking me there.

A little feedback, as you asked for. As always, just my humble opinion. I'd sure like to see the religious leader in the 'Imam' shots looking up - I'd like to see his eyes. I love the range of black, whites and greys in the medium shot, and the composition.

The Rabbi shots all look a little posed, except for "Rabbi laying tfillin" which is excellent, save that again, I'd like to see his face.

The priest shot with Mary and infant Jesus behind him is nice, except that Jesus is overexposed. Tough to overcome in high contrast situations!

I think my favorites are "Priest at prayer" - it looks so natural. And also the medium shot of the Imam, if only the blighter would look up!

Great project, great idea. Good luck.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2004
    Here's my take on the subject, Kolya. Be forewarned that, as a former photography teacher, I tend to say it like it is (Baldy said once that I'm a tough mistress to please umph.gif).

I gotta agree with waxy in that several shots look a bit too posed. I disagree in seeing the overexposed statue as a problem - it would draw too much attention otherwise. Now, my take:

I see something that will help you a lot: these people, or at least some of them, are comfortable about you taking their picture. You'll be able to finesse your work and share very intimate moments you can capture. By all means do take advantage of that level of access.

Photography-wise, I see two areas you can improve upon: light and variety. I know you are working mostly inside, but believe me when I say there is no great photography without great light. Actively search for dramatic light, be it shadow play or limpid, flooding window light. Maybe leave the flashgun behind and strive for available light, or available darkness. Light will make or break your work.

Secondly, you must work on visual variety - not just variety of content, but graphic variation, too. I’d love to see a close-up of the intensity in the eyes of an imam, and in the next picture to maybe be transported to the outside of a catholic church, or a synagogue, and see a priest interacting with people, or maybe going about his chores at dusk. I’d like to see him absorbed in his own thoughts, not smiling for the camera. And in the next pic, maybe a grand view inside the temple during a celebration, or maybe a close-up of hands turning a page in a Holy book. I’d love to see variety in light, in angle, in focal length, in level of intimacy.

You have access and you have already taken the first step. You just need better light and to actively search for variety within your topic, both of content and of form.

Like always, it’s best to learn from the very best, and that for me means Magnum photos. Here’s some features you’ll learn a lot from. Careful, some images are as tough as life:

http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/TreeFtop_MAG.aspx?E=A_29YL53DLF4X

I recommend you look specifically at the piece about the Hajj pilgrimage by Abbas, a specially intimate photographer. Do notice the visual variety he achieves, and his attention to light:

http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/FramerT_MAG.aspx?Stat=Features_DocThumb&V=CDocT&E=2TYRYDOFN8RN&DT=ALB

Hope this helps,

Roberto.
  • Options
    KolyaKolya Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 5, 2004
    Thanks for the comments!
    Wow - what wonderful (and useful and constructive) feedback.

I'll keep you updated as I progress.

Thanks,
    Kolya
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:
    Here's my take on the subject, Kolya. Be forewarned that, as a former photography teacher, I tend to say it like it is (Baldy said once that I'm a tough mistress to please umph.gif).

I gotta agree with waxy in that several shots look a bit too posed. I disagree in seeing the overexposed statue as a problem - it would draw too much attention otherwise. Now, my take:

I see something that will help you a lot: these people, or at least some of them, are comfortable about you taking their picture. You'll be able to finesse your work and share very intimate moments you can capture. By all means do take advantage of that level of access.

Photography-wise, I see two areas you can improve upon: light and variety. I know you are working mostly inside, but believe me when I say there is no great photography without great light. Actively search for dramatic light, be it shadow play or limpid, flooding window light. Maybe leave the flashgun behind and strive for available light, or available darkness. Light will make or break your work.

Secondly, you must work on visual variety - not just variety of content, but graphic variation, too. I’d love to see a close-up of the intensity in the eyes of an imam, and in the next picture to maybe be transported to the outside of a catholic church, or a synagogue, and see a priest interacting with people, or maybe going about his chores at dusk. I’d like to see him absorbed in his own thoughts, not smiling for the camera. And in the next pic, maybe a grand view inside the temple during a celebration, or maybe a close-up of hands turning a page in a Holy book. I’d love to see variety in light, in angle, in focal length, in level of intimacy.

You have access and you have already taken the first step. You just need better light and to actively search for variety within your topic, both of content and of form.

Like always, it’s best to learn from the very best, and that for me means Magnum photos. Here’s some features you’ll learn a lot from. Careful, some images are as tough as life:

http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/TreeFtop_MAG.aspx?E=A_29YL53DLF4X

I recommend you look specifically at the piece about the Hajj pilgrimage by Abbas, a specially intimate photographer. Do notice the visual variety he achieves, and his attention to light:

http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/FramerT_MAG.aspx?Stat=Features_DocThumb&V=CDocT&E=2TYRYDOFN8RN&DT=ALB

Hope this helps,

Roberto.
    Hi Roberto,
    I'm sure Kolya will get a lot out of this thread.. I certainly have. Thanks so much it was most interesting. I also looked at your web site.. beautiful.

Lynn
    (who has yet to photograph the ladies for the partially nude calendar....please don't go awayeek7.gif AND who now want it in color)
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2004
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif Z-Z, great feedback. A lesson.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au