EMOs agreed to pose for me =)

DVDMDVDM Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited July 3, 2008 in People
Nikon D200 + Nikkor 24-85mm

316161471_YgBXZ-X3.jpg

Comments

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I like this shot. I can't decide what it is about their expressions, but there is something about there expressions, or maybe it is the lack of expressions that grabs me. Nice work!
  • JermbubbaJermbubba Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I too like this shot for some reason, whats the original look like?

I just looked at your gallery! WOW. I absolutely love your candid people shots! Great work!
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Very cool shot!!! And so crisp!! Love it! iloveyou.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Beautiful shot. I love your colors and processing. Great capture.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    wow, very nice, great colors and super sharp!!
    lol i see kids are the same all over the world huh? why the heck cant Adults be?
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    DVDM wrote:
    Nikon D200 + Nikkor 24-85mm
    I have no idea who EMOs are, but nice shot anyway:-)thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I have no idea who EMOs are, but nice shot anyway:-)thumb.gif

Fans of Emo music... lol Helpfull, I know! Im not really sure exactly what EMO music is but im sure I dont like it.. gimmie old school Punk like the Ramones, Sex Pistols, Black flag and Dead kennedys and im good!
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I really like this capture also. EMO is short for emotive and has over the decades represented style that has been associated with everything from hardcore punk to new wave to now representing kind of alternative depression music like Chemical Romance or Death Cab For Cutie. This makes it different from terms used to describe a particular style of music (hair rock, acid rock, permanent wave) because it describes the emotion and not so much the music. Nowadays it has become the choice of college radio so oddly enough the music associated with emo is now mainstream. I wonder if you asked these kids if they were emo, what their response would be? I would think they would lean more to left of center alternative.

And I just rambled on about something that I doubt few care about. As for the photo, though, you nailed the composition, focus, poses (though I'm sure unposed), and colors. Great job! :D
    edited June 26, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    I really like this capture also. EMO is short for emotive and has over the decades represented style that has been associated with everything from hardcore punk to new wave to now representing kind of alternative depression music like Chemical Romance or Death Cab For Cutie. This makes it different from terms used to describe a particular style of music (hair rock, acid rock, permanent wave) because it describes the emotion and not so much the music. Nowadays it has become the choice of college radio so oddly enough the music associated with emo is now mainstream. I wonder if you asked these kids if they were emo, what their response would be? I would think they would lean more to left of center alternative.

And I just rambled on about something that I doubt few care about. As for the photo, though, you nailed the composition, focus, poses (though I'm sure unposed), and colors. Great job! :D

Wow Travis, you're like a walking music encyclopedia :D. I'm still listening to Uriah Heep, Deep Purple and the Who rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Travis wrote:

Growing up in the EMO capital of VA, Richmond, I am exposed and subjected to EMO kids throughout my daily life. EMO's can also, in many cases, be referred to as "Hipsters" and have become so widely accepted as a clique that a book has been written entitled "The Hipster Handbook" which explains the Hipster lifestyle from clothing right on down to which words a Hipster cannot use and still be considered a Hipster. Also when asked, An EMO or Hipster will never admit to be either an EMO or Hipster. It's what you're not that makes you cool, not what you are.
  • DVDMDVDM Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Wow Travis, you're like a walking music encyclopedia :D. I'm still listening to Uriah Heep, Deep Purple and the Who rolleyes1.gif

But Uriah Heep still alive =) New 2008 album is there ! =)
    edited June 26, 2008
    Thank YOU ALL very much for kind words. All it makes me really happy and much more creative ! clap.gifbow
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Emo's is a great music venue in Austin, Texas too. :-) That's why I first looked. Great shot too!
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    EMO is short for emotive and has over the decades represented style that has been associated with everything from hardcore punk to new wave to now representing kind of alternative depression music like Chemical Romance or Death Cab For Cutie.
    Not to mention, as I am understanding it, Coldplay, POV and other gold record acts. I like everything in music from dancehall reggae to Chicago blues to electronica, but if you locked me in a room with piped-in EMO I'd jump out the window!

PS to OP: Cool shot!
  • TokenToken Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    woo very nice pic indeed
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I love the shot and it's got a great punch of color to it.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Great shot! I like everything about it - the background, their similar lack of expression, processing and especially....the pano crop.

Coldplay??? I didn't even know I was EMO! eek7.gif Listening to too much Coldplay really does suck the life out of me. Guess that explains my avatar. lol3.gif
    edited June 27, 2008
    Thank you all again bowdown.gif

Yes, too much Coldplay can seriously damage my mind :D

One more EMO =)

315012692_c37UH-X3.jpg
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Interesting photo to look at DVDM...i dont get emo's at all but i can remember my father literally exploding one day when i played war pigs just that one time too often ...and so the wheel turns.

I work with an Emo whom is 27...he says todays emos here are completely different to how it started out. Isnt that what everythings about though...the more things change the more they remain the same.

We get our share of emos here but they wear period clothing of all things, quite funny to watch them actually. Coal black running mascara ...top hats & tails & whale bone corsets. I will have to photograph them.
  • rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    I think what made this photo 'effective' is because of the subjects' lack of emotion.. :)
    I think in their heads they are all thinking the same thing... "whatever dude, just take the shot". .. hehehe

coldplay? i would put them under "boring" category.. lol :)
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    I like the shot. It also seems to be from left to right in the level of emo-ness each one has!
    Jaye
  • JermbubbaJermbubba Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    DVDM wrote:
    Thank you all again bowdown.gif

Yes, too much Coldplay can seriously damage my mind :D

One more EMO =)

315012692_c37UH-X3.jpg

Wow. Another great one. The colors really pop. Do post more!
    edited June 27, 2008
    Jermbubba wrote:
    Wow. Another great one. The colors really pop. Do post more!

Thank you ! You asked for more EMOs ! :D

321132458_GdxTB-X3.jpg
    edited June 28, 2008
    I never knew what an EMO was until this thread...now I'm seeing them everywhere! Geez...at the mall, in grocery stores, down the street....somebody....stop me! rolleyes1.gifroflIt's like "Finding EMO"...hahahaha
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    DVDM wrote:
    Thank you ! You asked for more EMOs ! :D

321132458_GdxTB-X3.jpg

Shot outside the Kremlin near the underground mall?

Ah! Moscow light!

Does EMO make them dangerous? You are keeping your distance...!

And where's the grog? Surely not far away, if it's Russia!

NeilL
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    I never knew what an EMO was until this thread...now I'm seeing them everywhere! Geez...at the mall, in grocery stores, down the street....somebody....stop me! rolleyes1.gifroflIt's like "Finding EMO"...hahahaha
    Same here.. Had to look it up...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    fantastic shots. love the colors, crispness, and comps....but hate the emos. I'm sorry if I'm dissing anyone here, but as an admittedly preppy 16 year old, I think emos are one of the worst things to happen to the world. they bug me with how they do nothing but whine, smoke, skate, and listen to their ipods at 'crappy' concerts. They think they can get away with anythign when really no one respects them. oh, and nice clothes! I hear you're all really attractive!!!!!! let's go dye our hair pink, red, black, and blonde all at once they get some jeans that make it looks like we're unics cause theyre so tight! WOOO!

okay sorry, but I'm usually a very open and accepting person. The only thing that gets me are people who think they're being rebellious by making themselves peices of crap. URGH. emo's are terrible. ANYWAYS as I said, fantastic photos. I really love the colors (in the eye of the photographer) and you used theyre surrouindings to only improve. great job.
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
    edited June 29, 2008
    fantastic shots. love the colors, crispness, and comps....but hate the emos. I'm sorry if I'm dissing anyone here, but as an admittedly preppy 16 year old, I think emos are one of the worst things to happen to the world. they bug me with how they do nothing but whine, smoke, skate, and listen to their ipods at 'crappy' concerts. They think they can get away with anythign when really no one respects them. oh, and nice clothes! I hear you're all really attractive!!!!!! let's go dye our hair pink, red, black, and blonde all at once they get some jeans that make it looks like we're unics cause theyre so tight! WOOO!

okay sorry, but I'm usually a very open and accepting person. The only thing that gets me are people who think they're being rebellious by making themselves peices of crap. URGH. emo's are terrible. ANYWAYS as I said, fantastic photos. I really love the colors (in the eye of the photographer) and you used theyre surrouindings to only improve. great job.

Thank you ! I fully agree with you =) I don't like people doing nothing useful. But let's look at EMOs as at my shooting objects... like birds or cats mwink.gif
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Well I could got for some John Hicks and his Hot Licks, It's a Beautiful Day, Bonzo Dog Band or Commander Cody, myself.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Daniel ChuiDaniel Chui Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    What a wonderful shot! You got some beautiful colors and have really captured the essence of this movement. Of course, I tend to see EMO kids as spoiled brats with enough money to buy makeup, get their hair done and dress fancy to not have an excuse to be truly depressed.

But them I'm just cynical - without the adornments.

Great shot!

Chewy