Sigma 50mm F1.4 HSM - Almost available

GarrettGarrett Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
edited July 12, 2008 in Cameras
I've anxiously been waiting for the Sigma 50 F1.4 HSM to become available (I'd like the HSM for my D40x). I noticed today that Adorama is taking orders to the tune of $499. I was hoping it would debut between $300 and $400. Does anyone think the price will drop when more stores are taking orders? Is $499 the price everyone else anticipated? What are your thoughts?

Garrett

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 26, 2008
    Garrett,

Supply and demand.

I suspect that this lens will be very popular in the Nikon mount with Nikon D40/D40x/D60 shooters. Supply will probably be limited for a while. It could take a couple of years for the prices to finally level off.

You might be better off selling the body that you have and purchasing a body with the focus screw and the Nikkor 50mm, f1.4D AF for under $300USD. Nikon makes great lenses and their primes are still some of the best in the industry.

A D80 or, better, D200 would make a great platform for the Nikkor prime AF lenses.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Speaking for Canon mount- if it's actually usable at 1.4 and the AF is as fast as it should be then IMO it's worth the premium over the Canon, which is neither usable at 1.4 or fast focusing.

JMO of course.
    Gene
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    kini62 wrote:
    Speaking for Canon mount- if it's actually usable at 1.4 and the AF is as fast as it should be then IMO it's worth the premium over the Canon, which is neither usable at 1.4 or fast focusing.

JMO of course.
    Gene

:jawdropreally? i iloveyou.gifmy canon 50/1.4 No problems with it at all.
    ~ Lisa
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    :jawdropreally? i iloveyou.gifmy canon 50/1.4 No problems with it at all.

I've borrowed a friend's several times and it's pretty soft at less than F2. Especially compared to the 85/1.8 and really pales in comparison to the 135/2 both at f2.

It's an alright lens I guess, but I wasn't wowed by it, not like I was with the 135/2.

I've seen some wide open sample shots from the Sigma and they look pretty good.

Gene
  • DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    I've read rumour that the sigma will be more expensive than the Nikon or Canon equivalents. They must be really confident :D I hope it really is better and reasonably priced. I'd also like to see a better build, even the ex lens from sigma feel cheap compared to the feel of normal Nikon or Canon lens, or am I the only one that thinks this way ?
  • TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    They're in stock at B&H and Beach Camera. $499 MSRP. I love my Sigma 30mm, but will not be getting the 50. The 30 is a better focal length for me. But if the 50mm performs anything like the 30, it will be much sharper wide open, than the Canon 50mm 1.4 that I sold to get the Sigma.
    My Kit
    Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
    Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
    Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex
  • geopapageopapa Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 11, 2008
    Sigma 50mm 1.4
    I just got the Sigma 50mm 1.4 & love it!!! It's substantial in size & the build quality is better than the Canon 50mm 1.4 offering or the Nikon offering(I've had opportunity to work with both). I took some test shots with it & can honestly say the auto focus is "super fast". It found what I was aiming at & locked in with total assurance... instantly! It's also extremely quiet. The images were as sharp as can be. The DOF was what I had hoped for in a "prime" lens of this focal length. Overall I would say that Canon & Nikon have some catching up to do. Great job Sigma!!!:ivar
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    geopapa wrote:
    I just got the Sigma 50mm 1.4 & love it!!! It's substantial in size & the build quality is better than the Canon 50mm 1.4 offering or the Nikon offering(I've had opportunity to work with both). I took some test shots with it & can honestly say the auto focus is "super fast". It found what I was aiming at & locked in with total assurance... instantly! It's also extremely quiet. The images were as sharp as can be. The DOF was what I had hoped for in a "prime" lens of this focal length. Overall I would say that Canon & Nikon have some catching up to do. Great job Sigma!!!:ivar

Would this lens have fast enough AF for volleyball/basketball? I use a Nikon 85 1.8 for this and find the focus is slow so I have to anticipate more.
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    i too am curious on how this lens would perform. i have the nikon 50mm f/1.4 and find it way too soft at f/1.4 that and it's too prone to chromatic abberations (aka: purple fringing).
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto