Monolith and Storm

LighthoundLighthound Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited June 26, 2008 in Landscapes
My first post over here! Thanks to Mikko for bringing my attention to this fine site (we met in Yosemite a couple weeks ago). Any tips as to B&W workflow would be appreciated. Is there any routine procedure you guys do with your B&W processing from RAW's?

This image was taken with a Canon 5D, C/Y Zeiss Vario Sonnar 35-70mm lens.

_MG_0877BW.jpg

Comments

• cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Maybe more contrast? Amazing detail is in there... I just can't see it. I really like this. What were the colours? Was it all blue? Very nice shot.
  • LighthoundLighthound Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Color version
    Maybe more contrast? Amazing detail is in there... I just can't see it. I really like this. What were the colours? Was it all blue? Very nice shot.

Please see attached. I just got a 24" Samsung LCD, but it isn't calibrated yet. I susepct my brightness/contrast might be over the top, so what you're seeing is a bit more subdued. I need to get some calibration hardware/software to optimize... I have several shots of this scene bracketed and should be able to get even more detail out of the rock, but I am not at all adept at Photoshop.
    _MG_0877.jpg
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I like this an dwould like to see where you go with it. I agree to the more contrast to bring out detail in you B&W. I like the Color one, too.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    this is beauty weldone i like it
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited June 26, 2008
    I can see why you went with black and white, my eye goes straight to that really pretty strip of blue sky. The color also shows this fog? on the lefthand side. I have no clue on ps or any workflow. I use iphoto. I would clone out the lower left hand rock. It's competing with the star of the show there.
    That cloud looks like it's threatening a tornado! Gotta say... I prefer the b/w now. Just up the contrast and see if you can bring out more detail in the cloud.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Hi lighthound glad to see you made it! Hi and welcome wave.gif

This is a gorgeous first shot. Lots of drama and a great view. thumb.gif
  • LighthoundLighthound Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Tweaked
    schmoo wrote:
    Hi lighthound glad to see you made it! Hi and welcome wave.gif

This is a gorgeous first shot. Lots of drama and a great view. thumb.gif

I made curves adjustment above the horizon, and also did a bit of dodging and burning in this version. Is this looking better on your screens? Other than the standard B&W filters in PS and endless tweaking in the channel mixer, is there a baseline workflow people are using for their B&W?
    _MG_0877BWtweaked.jpg
    edited June 26, 2008
    OOOOhhh There's some crazy definition in there now. That's one scary sky
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    WOW this last version has even better drama in the sky! thumb.gif

There's a hundred ways to skin a cat... er, process BW. I tend to make an adjustment layer in CS3 with the BW conversion tool and adjust sliders to taste, then add some luminosity toning but there are many, many other ways to do this too, if you are brave enough to do a Google search. :D
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    That latest version is a poppin! Great job thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Hey Chris,

It's good to see you found the place. Nice shot where was this one taken? Have you gotten any thing worked up from Yosemite?

Mikko