Options

Where to start in Photoshop for a Newbie

OFFTHEROADOFFTHEROAD Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited June 30, 2008 in Finishing School
I am new to Sports Photography and to Photoshop. Here is an example picture. Where would you start in Photoshop to make it better? It was a dark rainy day, so I know the photo needs some work to lighten up some areas and a few areas are out of focus and need to be cropped. I am a little overwhelmed by all the tools in Photoshop and don't where the best place to start is. Do you start with cropping and getting the canvas you want or with touching up color? I am totally self taught. Thanks for any advice.

286794183_WN8uE-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Buy Kelbys book...works fine for CS2/3.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    Thanks
    gus wrote:
    Buy Kelbys book...works fine for CS2/3.

Thank you! That is just what I was looking for. There is so much information out there, but I need a source I can reference. I appreciate your help.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 26, 2008
    You do not specify what version of Photoshop you have in your post.

Gus' recommendation is fine if you have CS2.

If you have CS3, Kelby has a newer edition specifically for CS3 that can be a great help. I find CS3 a great deal more useful than CS2 ever was, for dozens of specific reasons.

Kelby also has a book called "Scott Kelby's 7 Point System for Photoshop" that is very task oriented, and you might find helpful.

Keep in mind that Photoshop is an immense program with lots of different ways to do things, and that most folks spend several years becoming really proficient in editing images with Photoshop.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    twhite14twhite14 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I actually just completed Kelby's Photoshop CS3 for Digital Photographers today and I highly recommend it. I had never used PS before and found the book to be very easy to follow. The lessons are are only 2-3 pages each so it is quick learn a technique. What is really valuable is that he takes you through the entire work flow process, from setting white balance to printing.

I also think his books on digital photography are great.

It will be the best $50 you'll ever spent!
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    Thanks again
    twhite14 wrote:
    I actually just completed Kelby's Photoshop CS3 for Digital Photographers today and I highly recommend it. I had never used PS before and found the book to be very easy to follow. The lessons are are only 2-3 pages each so it is quick learn a technique. What is really valuable is that he takes you through the entire work flow process, from setting white balance to printing.

I also think his books on digital photography are great.

It will be the best $50 you'll ever spent!

Thanks everyone for your help. I have CS3, I've done a lot of Graphic Design work in Adobe, just not with photos. I am familiar with the tools, but needed a good reference. Thanks for the book recommendation, I ordered it today.
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    If you're impatient (like me) you may want to simply check out the tutorials here on dGrin. On the top navigation bar you'll see a "Tutorials" button, and the second grouping are a bunch of the easier tasks spelled out with pictures and everything.

For this photo you'll need the crop tool (easy to find) and this tutorial: Making images 'pop'

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2292454/1

Good Luck!!thumb.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    I have a different take on this. Your shot couldn't be sharper, and the exposure and cropping adjustments that may be called for are easily accomplished in Lightroom. Personally, I am mystified by CS3 and it's been a personal project of mine to figure it out, but for sports (which is 90% of what I shoot), LR is all I need. Your background probably gives you a leg up on understanding the Photoshop "vocabulary", but to me, for basic adjustments Photoshop is huge overkill. I think LR costs $250 now and provides file management and other tools as well. Works for me.