Options

Question about Cart & Watermark

ShutterMomShutterMom Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited April 30, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Before sending a client a link to her gallery, I logged out and am going through it like I'm a customer.

Everything looks great; however, when I click to purchase a picture, in the shopping cart, it is still showing the watermark. I don't remember seeing that before in the shopping cart. It isn't going to print it with the watermark, is it?

I just wanted to make sure before sending her the gallery link.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,275 moderator
    edited June 26, 2008
    ShutterMom wrote:
    ...when I click to purchase a picture, in the shopping cart, it is still showing the watermark. I don't remember seeing that before in the shopping cart. It isn't going to print it with the watermark, is it?
    Originals are not watermarked, but all of the other sizes are watermarked. The prints are created from the originals, so your customer's prints won't have a watermark on them.

--- Denise
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    Originals are not watermarked, but all of the other sizes are watermarked. The prints are created from the originals, so your customer's prints won't have a watermark on them.

--- Denise

I understand the need to protect images with the watermark, but the watermark showing on the thumbnail in the cart does makes the buyer wonder if it's going to print with the watermark. I could see that stalling some sales because people aren't sure what will print. I don't know of a good answer, but it is an issue.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I understand the need to protect images with the watermark, but the watermark showing on the thumbnail in the cart does makes the buyer wonder if it's going to print with the watermark. I could see that stalling some sales because people aren't sure what will print. I don't know of a good answer, but it is an issue.
    I don't watermark my thumbnails, some other pros, do. It's a pro choice thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I don't watermark my thumbnails, some other pros, do. It's a pro choice thumb.gif

Can you help me understand how this works? When I go into the watermarking UI on Smugmug, I see the text "Images 800 pixels or less on the longest side will not be watermarked." Is there a way to control this?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Can you help me understand how this works? When I go into the watermarking UI on Smugmug, I see the text "Images 800 pixels or less on the longest side will not be watermarked." Is there a way to control this?
    That (Images 800 pixels or less on the longest side) is the size of the original.
    If bigger all generated display sizes will get a watermark. But, you have to
    check a box to have thumbs also get the WM.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    That (Images 800 pixels or less on the longest side) is the size of the original.
    If bigger all generated display sizes will get a watermark. But, you have to
    check a box to have thumbs also get the WM.

Where is that watermark checkbox for thumbs? I haven't seen it. I don't see it in the customize gallery dialog. I don't see any mention of it in the help screens for watermarks.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Where is that watermark checkbox for thumbs? I haven't seen it. I don't see it in the customize gallery dialog. I don't see any mention of it in the help screens for watermarks.
    Here it is. On the create WM page.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Here it is. On the create WM page.

Oh, there it is.

That is a very odd place for it. I'd expect it to be where you decide to apply the watermark, not where you define a custom watermark. It's odd that a watermark carries a property on whether it applies to thumbnails as opposed to a specific gallery carrying that property. Oh well, not a big deal now that I know where it is.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    sbresslersbressler Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    That is a very odd place for it. I'd expect it to be where you decide to apply the watermark, not where you define a custom watermark. It's odd that a watermark carries a property on whether it applies to thumbnails as opposed to a specific gallery carrying that property. Oh well, not a big deal now that I know where it is.
    Seconded! A great option, but I feel like it's misplaced...
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Oh, there it is.

That is a very odd place for it. I'd expect it to be where you decide to apply the watermark, not where you define a custom watermark.

It's also in the watermarks management page of your control panel. Pretty easy to find there, in my opinion.

20080701-xab9baua5pb7cbdbke3pp6p5m6.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    It's also in the watermarks management page of your control panel. Pretty easy to find there, in my opinion.

20080701-xab9baua5pb7cbdbke3pp6p5m6.jpg

Only easy to find there if you think it's a property of the watermark. If you start out thinking it's a property of the gallery (whether this gallery has it's thumbs watermarked or not), then there's no reason to think of looking in the list of watermarks. That's what happened to me anyway.

In any case, I hope you can add it to Anne's to-do list to update the help page to say something about this. I looked there and didn't find any reference to how to control watermarking thumbs. It mentions that it can be done, but doesn't say how.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    jfriend wrote:

In any case, I hope you can add it to Anne's to-do list t

So lagged - I did that HOURS ago! :D
  • Options
    ReysbroReysbro Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 30, 2009
    Watermarks in cart
    Andy wrote:

I don't have the thumbs watermarked, yet still they show in the cart.
    This is a major issue as far as sales/conversion goes. Can't work around it? then put a big notice in the cart saying that the prints will be without the watermark.
    thanks,
    /r