Options

'32 Ford Street Rod

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited June 26, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Second in a series of hot rods I'm doing.
The first is here
Comments/critigues appreciated.

314348743_zEAxS-L.jpg

314348817_r5EGa-L.jpg

314348892_HhchZ-L.jpg

314348990_ru7To-L.jpg

314349083_ZoqxY-L.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Hi Jack....

I like what you're doing here. My opinion is that this type photography is more likely to fall into the " documentary " category, as opposed to the " artsy " approach.....but certainly there is room for both. I think, with that said, you need to ensure that you are using enough DOF to make all of the picture in focus. The picture of the dashboard would be much better if it was all in focus. Selective out-of-focus technique has a place, to be sure. But most good car photographers I know use that technique very sparingly.

In a similar vein, zeroing in on interesting features is always going to be part of car photography, but you should be sure to include full shots of the subject. The first picture would be far more effective if it were a full subject shot.

I can tell you enjoy this type subject matter as much as I do. Good luck.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Hi Jack....

I like what you're doing here. My opinion is that this type photography is more likely to fall into the " documentary " category, as opposed to the " artsy " approach.....but certainly there is room for both. I think, with that said, you need to ensure that you are using enough DOF to make all of the picture in focus. The picture of the dashboard would be much better if it was all in focus. Selective out-of-focus technique has a place, to be sure. But most good car photographers I know use that technique very sparingly.

In a similar vein, zeroing in on interesting features is always going to be part of car photography, but you should be sure to include full shots of the subject. The first picture would be far more effective if it were a full subject shot.

I can tell you enjoy this type subject matter as much as I do. Good luck.

Thanks for that very extensive critique BM. I appreciate your taking the time. Though I love cars (especially from the 40's 50's and 60's) I've not had much experience photographing them (other than snaps of my own cars). I guess I wanted to avoid the "I was here this is what I saw" syndrome so I avoided full images. From being on this forum for awhile it appeared to me that "interesting angles and details" were more to be admired than simple photos. This series and several others yet to be posted were taken awhile ago but in the future, I will certainly heed your advice.

BTW the OOF dashboard was not intentional. I did not notice it until I processed the shot. ne_nau.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)