Baby Pictures

Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited June 27, 2008 in People
I was able to sit down and take some pictures of my 7 day old son today with a little help from mom. I wanted to get some suggestions/comments from anyone to help make the pictures better. I have a few that the focus was more on the baseball glove than the baby.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!
320696793_75xCS-M.jpg

320699533_P6gxt-M.jpg

320702799_jftrq-M.jpg

320704453_CrTCg-M.jpg

320705455_XUxaW-M.jpg

320707033_7rBo6-M.jpg

320708945_ff5Fo-M.jpg

320710332_4SLhu-M.jpg

320711979_ZVwys-M.jpg
bassett1976.smugmug.com
www.fitmet.com

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    fun stuff. Were they ever really that small (my 14 yr old is now 6'1" and it's hard to remember...). I love the ones where he's in the b-ball glove - just too precious! iloveyou.gif

comment wise... #3 looks a bit over saturated or sharpened, some of the crops are a bit tight. IMHO, I think I would have liked to see a bit more of your son in #1 - the eyes are drawn more to the glove and the baby seems more of an after thought. And #8 could have used a bit more breathing room around him so he didn't appear so crowded.

but in any case, great idea and these'll provide some great memories. well done.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Frog Lady wrote:
    fun stuff. Were they ever really that small (my 14 yr old is now 6'1" and it's hard to remember...). I love the ones where he's in the b-ball glove - just too precious! iloveyou.gif

comment wise... #3 looks a bit over saturated or sharpened, some of the crops are a bit tight. IMHO, I think I would have liked to see a bit more of your son in #1 - the eyes are drawn more to the glove and the baby seems more of an after thought. And #8 could have used a bit more breathing room around him so he didn't appear so crowded.

but in any case, great idea and these'll provide some great memories. well done.

C.

Thanks FrogLady, I thought they were good compositions (I do understand your points!!!) for the most part. I always look at the few "bad" parts to each of the photos.

I also looked at your pictures. They are wonderful. I hope that as my boy gets older I'll be able to get into sports photography more. Hopefully my wife will let me get an L series lens at some point. :D
    bassett1976.smugmug.com
    www.fitmet.com
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Thanks FrogLady, I thought they were good compositions (I do understand your points!!!) for the most part. I always look at the few "bad" parts to each of the photos.

I also looked at your pictures. They are wonderful. I hope that as my boy gets older I'll be able to get into sports photography more. Hopefully my wife will let me get an L series lens at some point. :D

thanks for the complementiloveyou.gif As for your wife and getting L series lens, it'll take some time (at least with regards to sports shots), but as your son gets bigger, so do the fields and she'll have come to expect a certain level of quality that you'll just have to have an L lens to get. Problem solved mwink.gif Good luck and enjoy the path - they grow up too quickly.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    #7,8,9 have the greatest possibilities! Simply a better angle would do the trick. The green blanket was not a "great" choice unless you plan on extracting and using a different background (which you might consider?).

Cute ideas witht the ballglove. The shots still are about the baby though and the photo needs to convey that....frame in tighter. There's potential here and with a bit of pp a couple keepers.....of course, when taking baby shots, they're all keepers for someone in the family...Laughing.gif:D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    #7,8,9 have the greatest possibilities! Simply a better angle would do the trick. The green blanket was not a "great" choice unless you plan on extracting and using a different background (which you might consider?).

Cute ideas witht the ballglove. The shots still are about the baby though and the photo needs to convey that....frame in tighter. There's potential here and with a bit of pp a couple keepers.....of course, when taking baby shots, they're all keepers for someone in the family...Laughing.gif:D

15524779-Ti.gif The green blanket is a distraction and emphasis should be on the baby, not the glove. You can fix this a couple of ways....1. move the baby to the forefront and 2. selective lighting, keeping the the highlights on the baby and partially lighting the glove. As I said in another post, i just found out how hard baby shoots can be but it looks likeyou are off to a good start.
  • Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif The green blanket is a distraction and emphasis should be on the baby, not the glove. You can fix this a couple of ways....1. move the baby to the forefront and 2. selective lighting, keeping the the highlights on the baby and partially lighting the glove. As I said in another post, i just found out how hard baby shoots can be but it looks likeyou are off to a good start.

Thank you Swartzy & Travis, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to "light" any subject. I just got a flash last week (before the baby came) and probably need more help in that area.

I'm currious, what colors are good backgrounds for babies? I had thought about going to get some blankets to help with photography. :D

I got some new shots in this morning. I didn't get the facial expressions that I wanted and the fabric seemed a bit dark to me. I am not good at post production with photoshop so I keep working at it!

New #1
    320891044_8QSa9-M.jpg

New #2
    320891902_M7ywz-M.jpg

New #3
    320893557_cxNMC-M.jpg
    bassett1976.smugmug.com
    www.fitmet.com
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Thank you Swartzy & Travis, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to "light" any subject. I just got a flash last week (before the baby came) and probably need more help in that area.

I'm currious, what colors are good backgrounds for babies? I had thought about going to get some blankets to help with photography. :D

You are safe with black or white backgrounds with former being especially dramatic for b/w conversions. You can introduce a light color or color mix but the idea is for the color to compliment, not draw focus away from the baby. Two of the best on dgrin are Agnieska (http://www.abrilliantphoto.com/) and Shudderz (http://www.heatherdunnphotography.com/). There are several others that are good as well.