Options

I'm Looking at a Big Big Accessory.

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited April 7, 2004 in Accessories
Well guys my company is looking at investing in my raw ideas and developing my photography skills along with all of my other skills. So they are talking about building me a small stuido. Hopefully it will all go through nothign fancy but a good place to do some work with objects and models and that sort of stuff. So any ideas on a good wa to turn a garage into a decent studio. It's a blank palet so lets see what suggestions you all have.
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2004
    clap.gif That's great. Congratulations.

I've been in a lot of TV studios, only one or two photography studios. They all share one characteristic - lots of open space. That gives you the freedom to set-up any job the way you'd like. I should think having a good basic infrastructure is also important: lots of power points where you might need them; overhead grid for hanging lights, maybe (sounds more like a TV thing than a photography thing); good light sealing so you can control the environment.

I imagine that you'd want to spend a lot of time researching the right kind of lights to get. The beauty of shooting digital is that you can send it straight to a computer, and quality check the image immediately - which means having the right computer gear and camera hardware.

Prolly wasting your time, as I'm just guessing, and we have a few pros here who actually know what they're talking about. :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2004
    Thanks WX I am looking into alot of lighting for it. Right now as is planned everythign is gonna be white floor cieling walls all of it white and the whole big room will be empty just worried about the lighting don't want my perfect white studio to come out yellow.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2004
    Are you considering a cyclorama wall at all?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2004
    Re Waxy's question: If you're going to set shop in a garage, don't. Cycs take up much more floor space than you'd think and have to be kept immaculate. I'd much rather use paper b'grounds.

Here's a pic of my studio. You can see the cyc at left, and the two hangers for paper rolls up in the wall behind the strobes. If you're tight on space and budget, by all means forget about the cyc.

estudio_g.jpg
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2004
    And that is one sweet studio, too. I like the fact you have a second floor angle thumb.gif
    zero-zero wrote:
    Here's a pic of my studio.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited April 6, 2004
    A Cyc would be great but space and budget kill that right now. Gonna have to work on getting bigger with more toys over time. If I ever go professional and can afford it I want a studio similar to zero-zero's. I love the layout with the to levels to get shots from. My biggest concern right now is what kind of lighting to put in that wont yellow my shots.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:
    estudio_g.jpg
    I want that table!
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2004
    Trust me, you don't. Overpriced POS.

Actually, the area upstairs is our design /digital imaging area, and my office (that I never use). I don't shoot much from up there, but it's great for keeping the client out of the way.

Curiously, every friend of mine, upon seeing that, says "so that's where I stand while you shoot the naked chicks?" :D

Too bad I haven't shot naked chicks as a paid assignment in years... umph.gif
  • Options
    Win38-55Win38-55 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:
    while you shoot the naked chicks?" :D

Too bad I haven't shot naked chicks as a paid assignment in years... umph.gif
    You do it for free now, right? I would.clap.gif
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2004
    You want how much to get undressed? eek7.gif

Does that include, uh, er,... never mind.:D