Options

My photographic journey through the Southwest!

The Wild EyeThe Wild Eye Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited June 28, 2008 in Journeys
Hello Every one

I took a trip this past spring through northern <st1:state w:st="on">Arizona</st1:state> and <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Utah</st1:place></st1:state> and thought I'd share some of my photos with you from this beautiful area! I went through 6 National Parks and many other places that were just as amazing as the Parks.

This shots is my favorite from the entire trip!! It was taken in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placename w:st="on">Canyonlands</st1:placename> <st1:placetype w:st="on">National Park</st1:placetype></st1:place> at sunrise. It just might be my personal favorite all time!

<!--[endif]-->
296475371_ZaXP3-M-1.jpg
#1 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Mesa</st1:place></st1:city> Arch
296480230_9AeRL-M-1.jpg
<!--[endif]-->
#2 This shot was also at Mesa Arch a little after sunrise.

If you have never shot in the Antelope Canyons near <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Page</st1:city> <st1:state w:st="on">AZ.</st1:state></st1:place>..I HIGHLY recommend it!! This spot was my favorite place to shoot. I didn't end up with a shot that I thought was better than Mesa Arch, but there were some many things to shoot....it was a blast!!
295016689_wRfEu-M.jpg
<!--[endif]-->
#3 This shot was taken in the upper canyon and would have been great had it not been a cloudy day!! I'm sure you've all seen the beams of light this area gets.....I guess I'll just have to go back some day!!
#4 295547098_B4xkG-M.jpg #5 295547645_2TPJP-M.jpg
<!--[endif]-->
When you shoot in the canyon you don't want to get the sky in your shots because it throws all the colors off and you'll usually get a bad sun flair. But here I was lucky to get a good flair.

Now for the <st1:place w:st="on">Grand Canyon</st1:place>.....AMAZING and if you've been there you know what I mean. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Sunrise</st1:place></st1:city> and Sunset are the best here!!
#6 299117882_KAE3x-M.jpg
<!--[endif]-->

Here are a couple more shots from more random place on the trip.
296968794_QrLtp-M.jpg
<!--[endif]-->
#7 This is horseshoe bend right out side of Page. Well worth the time to see during the day.
296969545_WrUYC-M.jpg
<!--[endif]-->
#8 Goblin Valley State Park, UT was one very odd place but quite unique to say the least!!

Well this is a very small taste of what I saw on my trip through the Southwest. If any one is planning a trip and would like some advice please ask I'd love to share some of the things i learned on the trip.
Also if you are interested in the rest of my pictures from this trip they can be viewed here.
http://samswartz.smugmug.com/Sams%20Most%20Recent%20Images

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
The Wild Eye

Canon 1D Mark II, 16-35mm, 28-135mm, 50mm, 100-400mm, 1.4X, 600mm FD & 1.4X FD.

"Wildlife photography drives my passion. But there is something about being in the midst of a scenic view that takes your breath away."

www.SamSwartz.Net

Comments

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Good stuff Sam. thumb.gif Glad you enjoyed yourself out here in the West.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Can you number these because the journal writing you have doesn't differentiate them. #4 of the series (starting from the top) Was this the cloudy day... because I think the light and colour in that was is great. I really like the angles too. The others just look washed out and the sun is conflicting.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    #'s
    Can you number these because the journal writing you have doesn't differentiate them. #4 of the series (starting from the top) Was this the cloudy day... because I think the light and colour in that was is great. I really like the angles too. The others just look washed out and the sun is conflicting.

Thanks got them numbered....The color was great that day I wont complain....but if you've ever seen shots of this place you can get the same color only with a white streak of light through the middle.

Which shot are you seeing the angles? not sure that I saw it that way. :D
    The Wild Eye

"Wildlife photography drives my passion. But there is something about being in the midst of a scenic view that takes your breath away."

www.SamSwartz.Net
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Thanks got them numbered....The color was great that day I wont complain....but if you've ever seen shots of this place you can get the same color only with a white streak of light through the middle.

Which shot are you seeing the angles? not sure that I saw it that way. :D

#4. It looks carved. Plenty of smooth and rough. Jagged angles. Rough edges. Looks like ice cream, honestly.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    Wow
    #4. It looks carved. Plenty of smooth and rough. Jagged angles. Rough edges. Looks like ice cream, honestly.

WOW am I slow.....I'm with you!

It is amazing to see what water can do...especially to sand stone.
    The Wild Eye

www.SamSwartz.Net
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    These are very beautifuly done amazing
    thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Wonderful shots! I have been to one of these spots and didn't have near the great results you did.:D
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2008
    Thanks
    Wonderful shots! I have been to one of these spots and didn't have near the great results you did.:D

I will tell you the same thing a great photographer told me......"Chase good light". Luck always helps but most of the good shots from this trip either came at sunset or from getting up at 4:00am to be the first one there!!

Thank you for your kind words!!
    The Wild Eye

www.SamSwartz.Net
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    First off let me congratulate you on going to the most beautiful dramatic landscapes mother nature has ever made. How can you not be in complete awe after seeing such beautiful art made by mother nature herself.bowdown.gif

You captured some beautiful scenes, thank you for sharingclap.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    Trip
    Sure wish I had been on that trip, glad you posted.
    Dave
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    Beautiful series of shots.