I'm with yooper - lens recommendations

cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
edited June 29, 2008 in Cameras
I need an upgrade. Hit me up with cheap to pricey lenses. I need a wide angle, a telephoto, and a macro lens. Price between 0-800 dollars. I can't justify to myself to spend more. If you know any gooduns that are more money but worth it, let me know.
I photograph people mostly and in a model/theme fashion both indoors and out. I have a Nikon D 80 with an 18-55mm lense kit right now.

Any recommendations for me?

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    24-70 and the 70-200 f/2.8 VR!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    24-70 and the 70-200 f/2.8 VR!
    .... And why? I'm a n00b you'll have to pardon my ignorance... but why did you make those choices and what do dem der glass do?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 27, 2008
    Here are 11 pages of suggestions from Adorama:

http://www.adorama.com/Catalog.tpl?page=il_refine_search

8 pages from B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/8433/SLR_Camera_Lenses_for_Nikon.html

If you are asking for portrait lens recommendations we could help, but your "All sorts and sizes." is a little ambiguous.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    .... And why? I'm a n00b you'll have to pardon my ignorance... but why did you make those choices and what do dem der glass do?

Cause those are the pretty good ranges for portraiture. f/2.8 is fast for indoor shooting too!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited June 27, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Here are 11 pages of suggestions from Adorama:

http://www.adorama.com/Catalog.tpl?page=il_refine_search

8 pages from B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/8433/SLR_Camera_Lenses_for_Nikon.html

If you are asking for portrait lens recommendations we could help, but your "All sorts and sizes." is a little ambiguous.

Thank you. I changed my request's wording. Does that help?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 27, 2008
    Thank you. I changed my request's wording. Does that help?

Yes, you have defined your needs much better.

Since your primary emphasis is people/models I shall assume that portraiture is a goal?

For $800 you might get:

Nikkor 50mm, f/1.8D AF
    Nikkor 85mm, f/1.8D AF

These are great lenses that will do well for head-and-shoulders and head shots (85mm) and for 3/4 length and full-length (50mm). They both work nicely at large apertures and have great bokeh qualities.

If your current "kit" lens is not sharp enough (a likely possibility), I suggest the Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR Di II. Anything wider than this is probably going to distort human forms and may not be preferable for your intentions.

Since these few lenses will pretty much blow your budget, sell the "kit" lens and purchase a close focus adapter for the 50mm lens to give you close focus capabilities (not true macro I'm afraid.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited June 27, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Since your primary emphasis is people/models I shall assume that portraiture is a goal?
    For $800 you might get:
    Nikkor 50mm, f/1.8D AF
    Nikkor 85mm, f/1.8D AF
    These are great lenses that will do well for head-and-shoulders and head shots (85mm) and for 3/4 length and full-length (50mm). They both work nicely at large apertures and have great bokeh qualities.
    If your current "kit" lens is not sharp enough (a likely possibility), I suggest the Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR Di II. Anything wider than this is probably going to distort human forms and may not be preferable for your intentions.
    Since these few lenses will pretty much blow your budget, sell the "kit" lens and purchase a close focus adapter for the 50mm lens to give you close focus capabilities (not true macro I'm afraid.)
    Thank you. I knew 800 bucks was going to get me thisclose to a passable "cheap" pricerolleyes1.gif I do more full length than anything.
    My lens isn't sharp but it came in a kit with my camera and when all was said and done I got it for about 50 bucks. I'll look at all these suggestions, those are very specific. I recognize the Tamron one. I still have to save before I purchase. Thanks again... very much a good looking purchase cart there.
  • EileronEileron Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

For $800 you might get:

Nikkor 50mm, f/1.8D AF
    Nikkor 85mm, f/1.8D AF

I have the 50mm f/1.4 - I definitely recommend it, it's a little pricier and most people won't/shouldn't use the extra stop down due to DOF issues, but on a DX camera the crop factor has made me use the 50 mm as more of a head/shoulders prime.

I'd be hesitant to use a non-DX 85mm on a DX frame because its DX equivalent is, what, closer to 135mm? I might just be standing too close to my subjects with the 50, but I'd feel like I'd have to stand across the room with a DX-cropped FX-50 lens.