Can't compete with Yuri

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited April 16, 2005 in People
I can't compete with the quality of Yuri's photo enhancement abilities... but I can come up with a Russian girl... does this count??? Keep up the great work Yuri!!!

19755391-L.jpg

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    she's lovely thumb.gif nice work
    maybe take it down some though, exposure wise?
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    kc7dji wrote:
    I can't compete with the quality of Yuri's photo enhancement abilities... but I can come up with a Russian girl... does this count??? Keep up the great work Yuri!!!

19755391-L.jpg
    Yea I think it counts
    Nice portrait beautiful subject too mwink.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    No need to compete, excellent shot stands on it's own thumb.gif
    should be down by maybe 1 stop on front of face, but rutt will probably be along in a min. to fix it !! :ps
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    thank
    Thank you all for the comments. I'm sure it can be brought down some. This was my attempt at Photoshop (noob). It's only fair that I post the original so here it is.

19768614-M.jpg
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    Dude, now that I see the original, you done real good clap.gifthumb.gif
    Excellent crop, turned it into an entirely different image cheerleader.gif
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Dude, not that I see the original, you done real good clap.gifthumb.gif
    Excellent crop, turned it into an entirely different image cheerleader.gif
    I agree, the crop and other changes turn a regular snapshot into a rather nice portrait.

As mentioned already, if you could reduce the exposure a bit it would be even better. Nice job!
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    Most of us mere mortals can't compete with Yuri! I thought I'd give this a try, glammed her up a bit. Maybe too much? Hope you don't mind. :D

19778407-M.jpg
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    I think what people are telling you is that you have to start off by repairing the original image before you get creative with it. Your crop is great, but the original has a magenta cast and is overexposed. Start off by fixing it.

I applied shadow/highlights to recover the blown areas on her face, followed by CMYK curves to acheive a correct color balance on her face:

19778860-L.jpg

19778824-S.jpg
    19778819-S.jpg19780926-S.jpg19780921-S.jpg

Ok, this isn't glamourous by a long stretch, but it's a lot more accurate. It has detail that you can use or throw away as you like.

Your transformation was to desaturate almost to the point of a B&W conversion. I took it all the way, just to show how to retain detail while desaturation. I just took the green channel from the above and got this:

19778871-L.jpg

This can now serve as a starting place for the glamour moves if you want B&W. As a first step I used the healing brush to start to address her blemishes and the remaining highlight on her chin.

19778874-L.jpg

To finish the glamming, duplicate her into a second layer and blur the bottom layer (or use Neat Image or NN with very high parameters). Then use a layer mask to decrease the opacity of the unblurred top layer and let the smooth skin show, especially in places where her real skin is bothersome.
    If not now, when?
    edited April 16, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Most of us mere mortals can't compete with Yuri! I thought I'd give this a try, glammed her up a bit. Maybe too much? Hope you don't mind. :D

19778407-M.jpg

Man, that's nice. I didn't see it before I posted. Mine is ugly, sort of on purpose, it's supposed to be a starting point. Looks like you got there and finished the job. Can you post the recipe, please?
    If not now, when?
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    I think this is way too "doll like" over done on the blur.. she has no character or detail in her face.. I'd like to see it backed off a lot.ne_nau.gif
    edited April 16, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    I think this is way too "doll like" over done on the blur.. she has no character or detail in her face.. I'd like to see it backed off a lot.ne_nau.gif

What I'd really like is for the people who are good at this to write a tutorial about making people look more beautiful. I'm only good at making them look ugly.
    If not now, when?
    edited April 16, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Yup, I know but it's the fast way. I have an action I bought for this sort of thing which can be very good but you need to start with a clean image first. Rather than spend the time to clone the skin a bit I just went heavy enough to obscure it.

I'll take another stab at it soon to make her a bit more natural looking, and if it comes out okay I'll post a "recipe".
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    Rutt, another great explanation. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    Since I'm new to post-processing
    Hello,
    I've been looking over the site recently and learning some things about post-processing. Everyone I've seen talks in Photoshop code but I'm using a very user friendly Jasc Paintshop and I find I'm getting pretty good results and can find most the things mentioned in Photoshop speak. So, I took a stab at the post-processing on this one with my program. Hope you like it, just did it in about 15 minutes.
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:

19778407-Ti.jpg

dj - too much - too doll-like, mannequin like. remember, in photoshop, 9% is your friend :D
    edited April 16, 2005
    So here's a more realistic looking version:

19803387-M.jpg

Now I don't like the cheek, but I don't believe PS7 has the "shadow /highlight" tool so I couldn't follow Rutt's technique for that. And my monitor isn't color calibrated so I'm usually too red. But here's what I did:

-Rotate CW 20 degrees and crop
    -Cloned out a few blemishes
    -Ran the action - it's called Softar; it's for "glamour shots". After looking through the steps it basically chooses skin-toned areas and gaussian blurs them as much as you want. Then it ends with the history brush so you can go back and remove the blur from the eyes, lips, etc.
    - made a copy of the background layer (ctrl-j)
    - changed it's blending to "overlay" and it's opacity to taste, I think 45% in this case. This pumps up the saturation, I think?
    - flatten layers
    - made another copy of the background layer
    - applied unsharp mask to this layer
    - applied a layer mask so that only her eyes and lips were sharpened

Obviously I'm no expert, this is just what my process is right now. I'm still learning from the gurus here all the time. Especially Rutt these days, great tutorials! thumb.gif
    edited April 16, 2005
    andy wrote:
    dj - too much - too doll-like, mannequin like. remember, in photoshop, 9% is your friend :D
    nod.gif I think the new one is better, except for the cheek.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    Hello,
    I've been looking over the site recently and learning some things about post-processing. Everyone I've seen talks in Photoshop code but I'm using a very user friendly Jasc Paintshop and I find I'm getting pretty good results and can find most the things mentioned in Photoshop speak. So, I took a stab at the post-processing on this one with my program. Hope you like it, just did it in about 15 minutes.
    Ashley
    You did a nice job, Ashley. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au