Exec. head shots. Advise?, opinions?

ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
edited June 28, 2008 in People
I was asked at work to take some head shots for a newsletter.
I'd like your honest opinion on few of these. I'll be doing more, but these are just trial ones.

These were taken at different locations, so light and bg appearing different :scratch, i don't know how else to make bg look the same. I tried to edit it in PS but now it looks like crap :dunno

Thanks for any advise you might provide.

320623773_2hNfT-S-1.jpg

320623012_yLh4h-S.jpg

320623913_qan3X-S-1.jpg

320636891_Voq23-S-1.jpg

320636342_oM95q-S-1.jpg
Marina
www.intruecolors.com
Nikon D700 x2/D300
Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8

Comments

• cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    DO you have a spot on the background behind them? The bg looks too dark and there's do defining outline of the people vs the bg. If you do have one I think it needs to be brighter and higher right about center of back on the person. I have no criticisms otherwise. They look happy and bright. Hope it helps!
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    My humble opinion....I like the actual photography and lighting. Their facial features are brought out well. A couple things bug me tho. The green (it looks digital) background. I dunno. Unless it's a company color and they requested it, I think I'd have gone with a neutral but warm color. Perhaps a warm dark coffee brown or dark grey. Another thing that gets me is the centering of the subjects. While dead centering of the eyes SOMETIMES works, it needs to be used sparingly. I'd have liked to see a little better use of the rule of thirds here, and perhaps even back the camera off a little bit to get more of them into the shot, and perhaps even angling them a bit more instead of facing straight towards the camera (most seen in the last photo)...thus reducing the amount of dead space above their heads and producing a warmer feel. My 2 cents.

I hate critiquing peoples' work. It makes me feel rotten when others pick mine apart and I feel like a real arse when I do it to others. You asked tho.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    DO you have a spot on the background behind them? The bg looks too dark and there's do defining outline of the people vs the bg. If you do have one I think it needs to be brighter and higher right about center of back on the person. I have no criticisms otherwise. They look happy and bright. Hope it helps!

Thank you cmorgan, i'm not sure i understand your question regarding "spot on bg behind them"? I darkened it in PS. I've been looking at it for a while and it does appear somewhat darker then it really is. I'll have to go and dig out originals.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    edited June 28, 2008
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    My humble opinion....I like the actual photography and lighting. Their facial features are brought out well. A couple things bug me tho. The green (it looks digital) background. I dunno. Unless it's a company color and they requested it, I think I'd have gone with a neutral but warm color. Perhaps a warm dark coffee brown or dark grey. Another thing that gets me is the centering of the subjects. While dead centering of the eyes SOMETIMES works, it needs to be used sparingly. I'd have liked to see a little better use of the rule of thirds here, and perhaps even back the camera off a little bit to get more of them into the shot, and perhaps even angling them a bit more instead of facing straight towards the camera (most seen in the last photo)...thus reducing the amount of dead space above their heads and producing a warmer feel. My 2 cents.

I hate critiquing peoples' work. It makes me feel rotten when others pick mine apart and I feel like a real arse when I do it to others. You asked tho.

Thanks for the comments!
    Company requires dark green background. I'm not sure about rules of third for this type, i've looked through some of the different headshots and i didn't see many that are off center, may be a little. Some have different head positioning, but that's about it. I'm not experience in headshots of this type, so i'll have to think some more on this one.
    Thanks again!!!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    I think they are all really good. Yeah, I could nitpick, but overall you did real well, tho I don't care for the BG much.

The only big fault I see is that in image #5, your subject is dead on to the camera. If it weren't for her hair, you'd have both ears. Personally, I think some of the others are a bit straight on too, but #5 is the most obvious.

I agree they should be cropped a bit though. Too much BG above the heads.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    Marina,
    corporate headshots are often subject to many rules and requirements we're not aware of here, so it's kinda difficult to offer an dvice.
    However, here's a couple of things I noticed that may improve the general outlook:
    • either use the backlight on the BG to create a halo around the person; or use a hairlight to highlight the top of the sholders (+1...+1.5 stops above the main light) and create a more distinct separation between dark business suites and dark bg
    • I think the light is too bland, I prefere more dramatic lighting in portraiture. But that's me and that's definitely a subject for the company's policy...
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited June 28, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    I think they are all really good. Yeah, I could nitpick, but overall you did real well, tho I don't care for the BG much.

The only big fault I see is that in image #5, your subject is dead on to the camera. If it weren't for her hair, you'd have both ears. Personally, I think some of the others are a bit straight on too, but #5 is the most obvious.

I agree they should be cropped a bit though. Too much BG above the heads.
    Thank you for your input, i will work with my subjects to sit them properly, they're quiet cry babies. First quiestion is "can you remove my wrinkles, or do i have a double chin...." rolleyes1.gif

I will also crop them as you suggested, thanks again!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    edited June 28, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Marina,
    corporate headshots are often subject to many rules and requirements we're not aware of here, so it's kinda difficult to offer an dvice.
    However, here's a couple of things I noticed that may improve the general outlook:
    • either use the backlight on the BG to create a halo around the person; or use a hairlight to highlight the top of the sholders (+1...+1.5 stops above the main light) and create a more distinct separation between dark business suites and dark bg
    • I think the light is too bland, I prefere more dramatic lighting in portraiture. But that's me and that's definitely a subject for the company's policy...
    HTH
    Thanks Nikolai, i shall do some reading on the subject so i know what i'm doing Laughing.gif. For now, i only have 1 light, so it's kind of hard to get really creative. I'll see how it all plays out on Monday.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    Angle
    Marina,

To hide the chin/neck a bit shoot from a higher angle and avoid the area under the chin (double chin area). Another trick is to have the person sitting at a 45 degree angle to the back ground and have them twist thereby stretching that double chin and loose skin tighter.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Thank you cmorgan, i'm not sure i understand your question regarding "spot on bg behind them"? I darkened it in PS. I've been looking at it for a while and it does appear somewhat darker then it really is. I'll have to go and dig out originals.
    I like like a small flourescent or a little heat lamp. A spotlight, to lighten the background and provide an outline for the people posing to distinguish them from the bg.
    edited June 28, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Marina,

To hide the chin/neck a bit shoot from a higher angle and avoid the area under the chin (double chin area). Another trick is to have the person sitting at a 45 degree angle to the back ground and have them twist thereby stretching that double chin and loose skin tighter.

Kat, i thought about bringing a ladder with me, just for that reason, they probably going to think i'm out of my mind.... rolleyes1.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    edited June 28, 2008
    I like like a small flourescent or a little heat lamp. A spotlight, to lighten the background and provide an outline for the people posing to distinguish them from the bg.

I see what you're saying, now i understand. Oh boy Laughing.gif.

Thanks again!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300